Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

another bedwetter... but 13? HELP**edit/update

Posted by on May. 31, 2013 at 8:50 AM
  • 22 Replies
How does a 13yr old still wet the bed EVERY SINGLE NIGHT???
We've had him tested for everything imagineable... he's fine
We've even taken him to a psychologist... they moved us on our way
We've bought an expensive bedwetting alarm he hides them.
We've gone through the whole process of letting him fall asleep then setting an alarm for an hour waking him back up making him use the toilet... for months.
He's used nose sprays
He's used pill medication (can't remember the name)
We restrict fluids... he sneaks then
We buy depends... sometimes he will wear them
He's chapped from belly button to kneecap (with a yeast infection of the skin but refuses to use his medication)
We've spent $150 each on 2 water proof mattress covers that have magically disappeared.
He has destroyed 4 matresses (including most recently his 7yr old brother's who doesn't piss the bed) and 2 mattress pads in the last 2 years.
We keep finding soiled laundry stuffed in places and tucked away... he's supposed to strip the bed and wash the bedding daily. Is this too much too ask from a 13 yr old?

We aren't talking a special needs child here... he's a FUCKING honor student in accelerated classes for Christ sake!

6/3 edit-update: Thank you everyone for your advice and encouragement. I do very much appreciate everything. Although I've had a hand in his care and raising in some capacity for 9 years and have treated him as my own... although his mother and I (as well as my husband) have been in a romantic relationship for 5-1/2 yrs and have co-parented him with the full support of his biological father... his mother has decided that she suddenly needs to "find herself" and no longer wishes that myself (or my family) am part of her life.
In the blink of an eye I am loosing my family, my wife, & my sons... my (almost 1yr old) daughter is loosing the two brothers that she absolutely adores & the other woman she call mama. We have lost our home.
Ty for all the bedwetting advice but It will no longer be needed due to these circumstances.
by on May. 31, 2013 at 8:50 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
RichardsMom0209
by Member on May. 31, 2013 at 8:52 AM
1 mom liked this

I'm so sorry mama. No advive...but here's a bump.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Pregnancy tickers
nurse1997
by on May. 31, 2013 at 9:11 AM
1 mom liked this

I am there with you my son is also 13 and pees the bed although it  drives you crazy 90 percent of kids that pee the bed really want to stop = I have done alot of research on this also for my son and the research I have found links that kids that are full of stool have the most accidents with peeing the bed = Although cutting them off of liquids close to bed time helps but when your kid drinks liquids it does not make it out of their body for hours after so the pop or water they are driking at 5 oclock aint coming out till after bed time= He hides the the stuff because hes ashamed step back for a second and be in his shoes = I deal with it we have had spoken to him about washing the blankets and washing clothes but really its 50 /50 that he will wash the blankets they get busy for school and forget My son is a hard sleeper but of course it runs thru the family  = Your 7 year dont pee the bed now but he could start some kids just start some times over night  Give love to your son if he could change it he would ;]

Flaca43
by Gold Member on May. 31, 2013 at 9:15 AM
1 mom liked this
I'm sorry for all of you. I don't know what else you could do...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MixedCooke
by on May. 31, 2013 at 10:39 AM
Except it's called puberty and can be nocturnal emissions aka WET DREAMS!
myprettypoly
by on May. 31, 2013 at 12:34 PM
I would be inclined to agree if this were something new or relatively new, say within the last year or two but it isn't... it's just something that's never ever stopped.
:(

Quoting MixedCooke:

Except it's called puberty and can be nocturnal emissions aka WET DREAMS!

eb415
by on May. 31, 2013 at 1:14 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm sorry - that sounds like a tough situation.  Our DD is 8 and doesn't mind waring diapers, so I'm not sure what advice I have about that.

There are two things I can suggest, however.  Check out this yahoo group - I've found it helpful, and the people there might have good ideas:

http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/staydry/

As for mattresses - look for industrial/hospital/dorm type mattresses.  They usually come in extra long twin, so you might have to buy new sheets, but I think they'd be pretty hard to destroy even if you tried.

myprettypoly
by on May. 31, 2013 at 1:37 PM
Ty I most definitely will!

Quoting eb415:

I'm sorry - that sounds like a tough situation.  Our DD is 8 and doesn't mind waring diapers, so I'm not sure what advice I have about that.

There are two things I can suggest, however.  Check out this yahoo group - I've found it helpful, and the people there might have good ideas:

http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/staydry/

As for mattresses - look for industrial/hospital/dorm type mattresses.  They usually come in extra long twin, so you might have to buy new sheets, but I think they'd be pretty hard to destroy even if you tried.

Marimaru
by on May. 31, 2013 at 4:53 PM

It sounds like the problem is that he's being a road block.  The alarm clocks and the mattress covers might work if he wasn't hiding them.  Why does he do that, instead of using the tools that you give him to help stop this?  That's what I would be at a counselor for.  Someone non-judgemental for him to talk to about this.

JasonsMom2007
by Lisa on May. 31, 2013 at 5:04 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm sorry :(

alaskadreams
by on May. 31, 2013 at 6:11 PM

have you tried a chiro?  specifically a gonstead chiro- My brother used to wet the bed for years- then because my mom started to go to a chiro she took us.  There was a nerve that was pinched in my brothers back. some adjustement treatments and he was good to go. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)