Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

Concerned my eight year old son still can't ride a bike, should I be?

Posted by on Jun. 9, 2013 at 9:21 AM
  • 127 Replies

Hello Ladies, 

I'm new here, and have 3 wondeful children, 16, almost 8 and a 16 year old foster daughter. Looking to network and chat. My biggest concern is my almost 8 year old son, he still can't ride a bike:(  Anyone have ANY suggestions or advice and should i really be concerned?

by on Jun. 9, 2013 at 9:21 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Chris030406
by Member on Jun. 9, 2013 at 9:23 AM
Teach him?
offrdngal
by Gold Member on Jun. 9, 2013 at 9:24 AM

Has he just never learned how to ride or is he afraid to learn?

Crafty8852
by on Jun. 9, 2013 at 9:26 AM
2 moms liked this

We live in the country, on a sloped property and by a busy road. My ds learned to ride a bike when he was 5 at his then babysitter's house (who lived by a school). My dd just learned to ride a bike last year (when she was 8) because we packed up the bikes and went to some bike parks where she had "room" to move lol. Once they learn it, they never forget it. It's more like the saying "practice makes perfect". If he can practice, he'll get it :)

mikesgrl10
by on Jun. 9, 2013 at 9:28 AM

I have been trying to teach him, he seems to not get that he needs to pedal to balance,or even keep his feet on the pedals.  I keep thinking the more he practices, the more he will get it obviously.  Just concerned cause of course I keep hearing from others, "he must have something wrong if he cant ride a bike yet"

mikesgrl10
by on Jun. 9, 2013 at 9:31 AM

thanks that's comforting to me:)  I will just keep trying, and yes I think he is terrified to fall and get hurt.

Crafty8852
by on Jun. 9, 2013 at 9:32 AM

Maybe his balance is a little off, I would mention it to his pediatrician and see if they have any suggestions :)

offrdngal
by Gold Member on Jun. 9, 2013 at 9:34 AM
4 moms liked this

Tell them all to STFU...there is nothing wrong with him.  There are many adults who do not know how to ride a bike and there is nothing wrong with it or them.

Has he learned how to balance, without having his feet on the pedals?  Work with him this way first, once he gets the feel for it, move on to using the pedals.  Let him go at his own pace though, otherwise he'll just wanto give up.

Quoting mikesgrl10:

I have been trying to teach him, he seems to not get that he needs to pedal to balance,or even keep his feet on the pedals.  I keep thinking the more he practices, the more he will get it obviously.  Just concerned cause of course I keep hearing from others, "he must have something wrong if he cant ride a bike yet"

mikesgrl10
by on Jun. 9, 2013 at 9:37 AM

should I put is training wheels back on?  He wanted them off cause he felt like a baby with them on.

CampClan
by Bronze Member on Jun. 9, 2013 at 9:39 AM
1 mom liked this
My 10yr old can't ride yet. And honestly I'm not sure my 12 & 13yo DDs can either. We lived in a neighborhood where they could & then had to move to an apartment & left the bikes in the garage with everything else we were storing. By the time we moved to a new neighborhood where they could they had outgrown them. And buying 4 bikes (cuz my 4yo would want one too) is expensive!
offrdngal
by Gold Member on Jun. 9, 2013 at 9:40 AM
1 mom liked this

If it will help him learn to balance...yes, put them back on.  Just make sure to keep them on different heights, so the bike will lean a little.

Quoting mikesgrl10:

should I put is training wheels back on?  He wanted them off cause he felt like a baby with them on.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)