Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

If your child was being hateful and obviously mean to other kids at the pool, would you allow your child to behave like that?

Posted by on Jun. 9, 2013 at 6:52 PM
  • 22 Replies
Just need some motherly advice. Not sure if I'm over reacting. Anyway, My family and I relocated from Ca To Fl. I have two dd's 7 & 8. We have a community pool and now that the weather is warmer we take advantage of it. It seems to me that there's a mom-click. Well, one of the girls called my daughter a brat. My dd is only 7, the name caller is 12. So my 8 yr old defended her sister and simply told her don't call my sister names. Mind you I was watching this unfold and told my dd's to just walk away. No need for any toxic influence. So we move on and it seems that the name callers mother was chimming in on what just happened and literally watched her daughter yell at my dd in a very rude and nasty way!! I really don't know how to handle this except next time try and ask what exactly did my dd's do?? Is this bully behavior ?
by on Jun. 9, 2013 at 6:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
justuspeanuts
by on Jun. 9, 2013 at 11:11 PM
7 moms liked this

If the mom was chiming in and supportive of the behaviour then don't waste your energy on them. That she was contributing tells you where they are learning their behaviour. Mine has encountered mean kids at the playground. I never support her saying anything mean to them. I just tell her to stay away from them.

SentRegards
by on Jun. 9, 2013 at 11:20 PM
2 moms liked this
I wouldn't let mine either...

sounds like the moms pretty immature if she reacted that way

diaperstodating
by Queen25Princes on Jun. 9, 2013 at 11:26 PM

Quoting SentRegards:

I wouldn't let mine either...

sounds like the moms pretty immature if she reacted that way

kalea_kane
by on Jun. 9, 2013 at 11:39 PM

Honestly, I wouldn't give it a moment.  I agree with the other poster.  She chimed in on something that really didn't need chiming in.  Anything that went down you can gather from your girls and your own observations.  I wouldn't say it was exactly bully behavior on the kids parts at least  not without iknowing what went down.  What did your daughters say?  I would definitely continue to watch your chidlren closely as well as the other children. 

fivegirls333
by on Jun. 9, 2013 at 11:42 PM

bring a ton of good snacks to the pool.  they will be nice and friendly.  

countrymomma81
by Ruby Member on Jun. 10, 2013 at 10:00 AM

It is and I'd never knowingly let my children behave like that. As it is my 6 year old is known to be sort of a rough child. I literally follow her around the ball park making sure she isn't being mean. I once caught her, my 6 year old, chasing a girl that I know for a fact is 13, around with a stick threatening to hit her with it. I ran up to her and took the stick and asked her why she was doing that. She said because the girl was saying mean stuff to my 10 year old son:/

I still made her come sit by me and I also made her apologize to the girl. One thing I will not tolerate is my children being bullies and Lord help them if I find out they are. 

mamaslilpunkin
by Bronze Member on Jun. 10, 2013 at 10:01 AM

Yeah its mean but not bully behavior as far as I'm concerned.I would just tell my kid to stay away from the little snot.If my dd ever called another child a brat and she was unprovoked,I would've spoken to her.But my child doesn't speak that way to others.

Dabberdoo
by on Jun. 10, 2013 at 10:09 AM

I think its normal behavior.  You did the right thing.  No, I wouldn't allow my child to behave that way without dealing with it.  If the behavior continued, I would no longer take my child to the pool.

momtomy7kids
by Michelle on Jun. 10, 2013 at 11:03 AM

I would never let any of my kids act that way, if they did then they wouldn't be at the pool anymore.

Michelle
Mom to 5 boys and 3 girls with #8 on the way
Emily, Jordan, Sara, Jason, Aiden, Chloe, Nick and Cody EDD 7-29-13

JasonsMom2007
by Lisa on Jun. 10, 2013 at 11:46 AM

Well we know where she is getting it from.  How sad :(  I wouldn't waste my time and energy with them.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)