Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

As a mom...do you dress the same as you did before having kids?

Posted by   + Show Post

I am a SAHM to my two boys...one being a baby. I get up every morning, take a shower, fix my hair and put on makeup. But I always wear a t-shirt and athletic shorts because I need to be comfortable so that I can chase my preschooler. I also wear t-shirts and shorts because I don't want to wear my "good" clothes because I tend to get messy taking care of my baby.

My mom keeps telling me that I need to dress better. I told her that once my baby is not as messy, I'll go back to dressing nicer. But for now, I am okay with the way that I dress. I still fix my hair, put on makeup and perfume, so I'm not just letting myself go.

But it got me wondering, how many moms still dress the same as before they had kids. I know some who do, but most of the moms I know, are definitely more relaxed in clothing style and prefer comfort over looks.

Would you say that you dress the same as before you had kids or has your clothing style changed since becoming a mom?

by on Jun. 11, 2013 at 2:47 PM
Replies (31-40):
mumsy2three
by Shauna on Jun. 12, 2013 at 12:29 PM

Pretty much. I wear mostly jeans and a t shirt or whatever is comfortable when I am home. At work I have to dress more business casual, but I still look for clothing that is comfortable, lol.

Snook35
by Member on Jun. 12, 2013 at 3:48 PM

I've never really been a jeans/t-shirt kind of person.  I work full time so I dress the same as I did before pregnancy when I go to work.  The weekends I'm more comfortable because I'm with dd and it's running around and playing or cleaning.  Sundays when I go to church I use to dress in heels and jewelry.  Not anymore.  I still dress nice but I wear a shorter heel or comfortable flat.  My dd loves to pull jewlry so I don't wear it now.

At least you still put on makeup.  To make your mother feel better maybe buy some cute comfortable shorts and tshirts.  Walmart has nice items where it's comfortable and cute.

e-doolittle
by Kelly on Jun. 12, 2013 at 4:30 PM
If we go out, I dress similar. At home I am much more casual than I used to be
Numom61507
by Member on Jun. 12, 2013 at 4:34 PM

Mystyle has pretty much been the same. Comfy pants (jeans or sweat-style pants) and a t-shirt. 

The only thing that has changed is that I don't wear the vulgar shirts anymore. I try to be a "classier" when it comes to my shirts now (ie. the shirt with the puppy that said "Pet me" went in the garbage LOL).

wexfordmom
by Member on Jun. 12, 2013 at 4:45 PM
Before kids I constantly dressed in White House Black Market, Cache or clothes from Macy's. Now those clothes are saved for going out with dh or somewhere nicer like a family party etc...
Anymore I dress in clothes from Kohl's, JCPenney's, Target. It doesn't make much sense to wear a very nice top to paint with the boys or play in the woods. At home I wear workout shorts and tank and if we go to run errands etc.. I will put on a top with shorts or capris and dress it up with jewelry and cute shoes. I don't have the desire to put on a more expensive outfit just to food shop.
Mazou80
by Member on Jun. 12, 2013 at 4:54 PM
Pretty much the same. In the house i always wear my comfy pj's! Never make up when inside. When going out (which is often even now with my baby) i dress elegantly and put make up on. I think the only change is that i wear less often high heels. Oh and since after my pregnancy i weigh less i can wear more clothes showing some flesh, i.e. shorter dresses, shorts etc
mrs.hartman12
by on Jun. 12, 2013 at 5:35 PM

No I do not want to be one of those women who dress like their teenage daughter. I dress conservative.

KylesMom409
by Linnette on Jun. 12, 2013 at 5:38 PM
Same here.

Quoting countrymomma81:

Yep, t-shirt and jeans. I never was one to dress up or put on makeup. 

Tiffanyh0622
by on Jun. 12, 2013 at 8:26 PM

I DRESS THE SAME T-SHIRT AND JEANS...SOMTIME I VOLUNTEER AT THE KIDS SCHOOL AND WE ALWAYS GET MESSY....

supermillerMom
by on Jun. 12, 2013 at 8:34 PM
2 moms liked this

Yeah, I'm with you.  Especially now that the weather is nice and my son wants to be outside all day every day.  He is ALWAYS filthy.  Neither of us stays clean very long.  I try to step it up from time to time, especially if we're all going out - even if it's just to run errands.  But yeah, my day-to-day wardrobe is pretty disposable.  I crack up when I see moms on tv wearing dresses and heels.  If I looked like that when dh came home he would assume someone had died and I'm on my way to their funeral. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)