Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

let sleeping dogs lie?

Posted by on Jun. 14, 2013 at 11:14 AM
  • 29 Replies

I am moving next week and have a serious question, no smart remarks please, this is upsetting to me and my kids. Our beloved chihuahua Bip passed away about 5 years ago and we buried him under our tree after our vet had put him to sleep. ( I adopted him from a shelter and he had heart-worms and a hip deformity, we spent thousands trying to save him but his tiny body couldn't handle the tratment and he was suffering so decided after a year it was time to let him go. I still struggle with this decision today.) My question is, should we dig up his remains to take to our new home? He was placed in a box and wrapped the box with a green linen. (the vet's office did this for us.) I have a grave marker that I will take either way. I thought about asking buyer to not disturb burial ground but he is a forigner that is just flipping the house and I have no way of talking directly to him. What would you do? My 14 yr old DD wants to take him with us. Thanks in advance ladies!

by on Jun. 14, 2013 at 11:14 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
.Peaches.
by on Jun. 14, 2013 at 11:18 AM
4 moms liked this

I would leave him.

I personally think it would be super depressing to have to dig up a body and take it with you. And kinda gross, too.

What do you want to do?

conniejo75
by Bronze Member on Jun. 14, 2013 at 11:19 AM
It's up to you. Personally I wouldn't move him, just take marker
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Tand4bears
by on Jun. 14, 2013 at 11:21 AM

Aww...honey, I'm sorry for your Pet loss... If it was me, yes I would take him with me. 

family in the vanTand4bears

CHand32
by on Jun. 14, 2013 at 11:29 AM

I love my pets, past and present.  I say, if the pup was cremated, bring him with you.  If not, leave him be. 

snowangel1979
by Bronze Member on Jun. 14, 2013 at 11:31 AM
1 mom liked this
I wouldn't move him. I'm sorry for your loss.

Not to sound morbid but after 5 years there's probably not a lot of him left even if he is in a box. They don't put the chemicals in animals like they do people and certain things take place. It's probably better to leave the sleeping dog lie.

Maybe plant some bulbs there. I know we have flowers that come back every year in our back feild. There wouldn't really be any other reasons to plant flowers back there. I leave that place be because I'm sure there's someone's pet under there.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
xoxRachelxox
by on Jun. 14, 2013 at 11:36 AM

He will be going with you, in your hearts. I would let his body stay and rest where it's at now. 

Maybe you could put a stone there with his name? Maybe the new owners won't disturb his place of rest. 

funny_girl3
by Member on Jun. 14, 2013 at 11:37 AM
1 mom liked this

I'm sorry for your loss.  It's so hard to lose a beloved pet.  I would just leave him there, he's been in the ground for 5 years and depending on where you live and what kind of box he was in there is the potential that digging him up will be unpleasant.  Take the marker and your memories of Bip to your new home.

gsmom9
by Member on Jun. 14, 2013 at 11:41 AM
1 mom liked this

leave the little guy there to rest in peace. let the buyer know hes there. maybe plant a tree in your new yard to memorialize him?

anotherandree
by Inga on Jun. 14, 2013 at 11:44 AM
2 moms liked this

I got a cat when I was 3 and we had him for 18 yrs.  It devestated me when he died.  We buried him in our back yard where he used to play, but then a year later my parents divorced and we moved away.  But his remains stayed.  The important thing is that you take his MEMORY and the LOVE you had for him with you when you go.  His remains are just that, remains of a shell.  His spirit is gone from that shell and lives on elsewhere.  

Please leave the remains.  Just as you would not dig up the remains of a beloved human family member, I, personally, do not think that you should be showing your children that it is okay to dig up the remains of those that have already gone.  He is gone so let him go.

Leilah79
by on Jun. 14, 2013 at 11:45 AM
I would not dig him up. There may not be much left and what there is may be upsetting to see.

You can dedicate a spot in the new yard with the grave marker and some flowers without moving the actual remains.

I know it's upsetting to feel that You are leaving him behind, but you're not really. He lives in your hearts and memories, not in his physical remains.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN