Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

Lunch ideas

Posted by on Jun. 14, 2013 at 2:49 PM
  • 8 Replies

DH works for the local utilities company as a lineman, so he's in a truck all day (well, all night, he's on 2nd shift right now).  No microwave, no refrigerator.  He does have a cooler he takes to work and a thermos.  But he has a hard time finding stuff to take that doesn't require being warmed up. 

When I googled ideas, I get healthy stuff like chickpeas, hummus, salads, etc.  I think he would eat a salad once a week, but not chickpeas, or hummus.  He's not really a "healthy" kind of guy. 

So, I'm looking for some suggestions...something other than the normal sandwich and sandwich meat (I'm trying to get him away from processed foods, it's bad for his cholesterol). 

Thanks!

by on Jun. 14, 2013 at 2:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Jinxed8
by Gold Member on Jun. 14, 2013 at 3:07 PM

HA !!!!  I sympathise sister !  I'm in the same boat with DD's school (no microwave, no fridge available) I get her catered lunches once or twice a week but they get real expensive ... I always giver fresh fruit and veggies with dip, a yogurt  or fruit sauce.

In her Thermos I give her : Soup, Spaguetti, pasta dishes, stew .  Also any left overs in some kind of sauce or gravy works really well in a Thermos.  When I do sloppy joes, I put the meat in the thermos and buns on the side and she makes her own sandwich at school --  If you heat thefood up real hot in the microwave while you pre-heat the thermos with hot water it stays warm.

Sometimes I give her hard boiled eggs and crackers,  tuna salad and crackers, hearty chef salads, pasta salad, and yes humus and pita (but yeah guys aren't big on that) , wraps with "real meat" like cooked chicken breast, lean ham & cheese etc - I always get DD the big ice packs.  Often her food comes back at the end of the day very cold still !

sdgd21
by Diana on Jun. 14, 2013 at 8:31 PM
I'm bumping, I need ideas too. Lol
Katstatic
by on Jun. 14, 2013 at 9:46 PM

In the summer my hubby prefers cold sandwiches and a piece of fruit. That and a big gatorade. We get the powdered kind and mix it ourselves.

clairewait
by Bronze Member on Jun. 14, 2013 at 10:08 PM

Red beans and rice stays warm all day in a thermos.

Easy. Cheap. Good. My husband and kids would eat it every day. I load it up with hidden veggies (like kale) and then top it with cheese and sour cream for extra bulk - otherwise mine are all hungry pretty quickly after eating.

Claire Wait

My blog: TheUnderToad.com

arwalters
by Member on Jun. 15, 2013 at 11:30 PM
Pasta salads, cold fish tacos, spring rolls, get little restaurant packets of condiments to dress sandwiches, chicken or tuna salad sandwiches, as long as he has a small cooler or insulated lunch bag with an ice pack should be able to put an assortment of produce, yogurt, cheese sticks, etc. I always throw in lots of sides like that so dh isn't only eating sandwiches
jackiewal10
by Bronze Member on Jun. 15, 2013 at 11:38 PM

Pasta salad.  You can put anything in pasta salad.  Pepperoni, broccoli, cheese, olives, etc.  Has be ever TRIED hummas??  You dip pita bread/pita chips or veggies in it.  It's kind of garlicy.  He might actually love it.  My DH ate it once, decided he likes it SO much, that he makes his own now!  You could also do sandwiches, but instead of lunch meat, use meats that you have cooked.  Like, make your own roast beef.  Grill some chicken breasts and make sandwiches with that.  Or chicken salad.

KendallsMommee
by Chrissy on Jun. 15, 2013 at 11:45 PM

Fried chicken, pizza, fried fish, mac and cheese, meatloaf, fried pork chops, etc. is yummy at room temperature and will be safe as long as it's kept in a cooler with an ice pack. Take it out an hour before eating to knock the chill off.

sleeblended
by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 1:42 PM
Thank you all for the great ideas! I'm writing them down and loading him up! :)
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)