Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

Cell phones, iPods etc...

Posted by on Jun. 14, 2013 at 11:32 PM
  • 26 Replies

I really think I am an oddball b/c my kids don't have an iPad/iPod, they have a Wii that they play with maybe a few times a year. I'm not against any of this stuff, I just think they aren't interested. They've been around family/friends with these things and have never asked for one. But at the same time, we don't need an iPad either.

My boys are 5 & 8.

My boys will play some games on the computer - My 5 yo likes his Nick Jr. or Sprout games while my 8 yo prefers games on the school website. They have many educational and fun games on there.

Dh and I both have (Dh got them one afternoon while I shopped for shoes for our kids nextdoor at Famous Footware I didn't care what we got) Dh never uses the internet and barely texts and I will go on the internet everyday for like a few minutes throughout the day to check emails etc.. and I do text more than he does.  I guess we're not big on the latest technology. I just learned what a "hot spot" was today.

Anyone else??

by on Jun. 14, 2013 at 11:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mommybug77
by Crystal on Jun. 14, 2013 at 11:33 PM
Nope we have a number of game systems, all kids have their own tablet and share an iPod touch.
mumsy2three
by Shauna on Jun. 15, 2013 at 8:25 AM

We are a pretty techie family.  We have a desktop and laptop. Our boys have tablets. My dd just gave me a KindleFire that she won at work. My husband and our kids have ipod touch devices. We have 3 video game consoles, all are used regularly.

My husband, myself and our 19 y/o dd have cell phones, my sons are 11 and 8 and will not be getting cells until they are in middle school. I have to admit that my smartphone is smarter than me. I still only do the basics (call/text/check my email) on it. I know it has all kinds of other features but my brain just doesn't go there, lol.

With all that tech stuff, I think we do a pretty good job of balancing it out with non tech stuff. Both of my sons play sports, we're all outside regularly, we play board games and do other activities as a family too.

conniejo75
by Bronze Member on Jun. 15, 2013 at 8:46 AM
Sounds like my family. Just me and my two sons. We each have a laptop and smart phones. We have 2 gaming systems that are used often. But my boys are 18 & 17.

Quoting mumsy2three:

We are a pretty techie family.  We have a desktop and laptop. Our boys have tablets. My dd just gave me a KindleFire that she won at work. My husband and our kids have ipod touch devices. We have 3 video game consoles, all are used regularly.

My husband, myself and our 19 y/o dd have cell phones, my sons are 11 and 8 and will not be getting cells until they are in middle school. I have to admit that my smartphone is smarter than me. I still only do the basics (call/text/check my email) on it. I know it has all kinds of other features but my brain just doesn't go there, lol.

With all that tech stuff, I think we do a pretty good job of balancing it out with non tech stuff. Both of my sons play sports, we're all outside regularly, we play board games and do other activities as a family too.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
clairewait
by Bronze Member on Jun. 15, 2013 at 10:00 AM

Nothing here for my kids. We have our old iPhone 3's which they are given in RARE circumstance (like the end of long car trips, on planes, or getting shots), but otherwise, my kids don't have their own anything technology-wise.

If it makes you feel better (as it does me), there's a school in the Silicon Valley where several Apple employees send their children. It is TECHNOLOGY FREE until 6th grade.

Just because it is available, affordable, and popular doesn't mean our kids need it.

I don't plan to give mine their own cell phone either. We'll see where we are at when they can drive.

Claire Wait

My blog: TheUnderToad.com

nodramamama311
by on Jun. 15, 2013 at 10:33 AM
My husband and I have iPhone 4's, didn't feel the need to upgrade. He has a laptop, mine is broken. Our 11 yr old daughter has an iPhone 4S which she got for her bday last year, I have her my upgrade. She's a straight A student with multiple achievements and is a just a great kid. She also has a Kindle and a Nintendo DS which were both bought for her by her bio-dad. Our son has a Leap-pad bought by us for Xmas. He also has Nintendo DS which was found in a rental car( we did let them know and no one claimed it ). He also has 2 Gameboys that were given to him by his cousin, he never plays on them though.

I feel like these days I have to defend why my kids have these things. They are good kids who do not sit like zombies staring at their devices all day. They play plenty outside and with other kids. Our daughter is constantly reading and writing stories. We have never had a problem. And for that matter they wouldn't have most of those things had they not been found, given, or bought for them because we certainly cannot afford all that stuff. Our iPhones were upgrades and so was our daughters.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Blestmomof3
by on Jun. 15, 2013 at 10:48 AM
1 mom liked this

My two dd's didn't get iPods until they started middle school.  I told them if they wanted them, they had to raise the money themselves.  They did chores for me, had a yard sale with a lot of their stuff, worked for grandparents.  It took them about 10 months to earn the money.  We have them set up that any text messages they get or send automatically show up on my husband's iPad and we have all their passwords.  

They also know that if they do anything inappropriate with them, they can lose them even if they paid for them cause we are mean like that.

honeydewmommy
by on Jun. 15, 2013 at 11:01 AM

My son currently had his own tablet by the time he was 4, but I am gonna upgrade him to the ipad mini this year for his 6th birthday. The only reason why is becuase he doesn't like those "kiddie" toys, he wants what mommy and daddy have. He currently has one of my old smartphones as a "pretend" phone (Samsung S2) , still access the wifi. He has Wii, and his own HDDVR thats wifi connected that streams into our Directv system. And he has his own laptop (which he never uses) and a Ipod touch, which is not working becuase it got dropped in the potty, so I need to get a new magnetizer for that. And my mother got him recently a portable DVD player, which I have yet to remove from the box.  We are very techie here. I am a computer geek, and my husband is too. I think thats why, he inhereited from us. He uses the computer and tablets with such ease, he is interested in already how things work , taking things apart and so forth so we are proud of him. 

diaperstodating
by Angel on Jun. 15, 2013 at 11:12 AM
We have alot of technology, but I am not a fan if it. I could live just fine if we only had things from the 80s and 90s - no iPhones, tablets Wii U...
We have iPhones, my boys have Kindle Fires and and DS's, we have a couple game systems, an iPad mini, a desktop and laptop.
My boys have always had televisions in there rooms, which are now flat screens.
I often complain about technology and how much I dislike it. My 8 year old says to me "But mom without technology we wouldn't have a house." or "But mom without technology we wouldn't have blank."
He is right but I could do without the tvs, computers, phones, tablets, and game systems.
countrymomma81
by Platinum Member on Jun. 15, 2013 at 1:09 PM

We have a PS3, Wii, Xbox 360 w/Kinect, 3 iPod touches, an iPad and DH and I each have a smartphone. Our kids are getting each a Kindle Fire HD for Christmas. 

My kids are 6 and 10. They are still pretty active and usually only play with the electronics when they are chilling out at home anyway. My son goes to summer camp at the YMCA all day and my daughter spends most of her day in the pool in the back yard. They are both active in sports all year long. We go to the Children's museum, different other educational things they have in our area. We go fishing, hunting, crabbing and other things. Just because we have all these electronics it doesn't mean we sit around all day using them. 

carakitty
by Bronze Member on Jun. 15, 2013 at 1:24 PM

My DH and I are pretty techy, so we don't relate to where you are coming from, much. We have multiple gaming systems and each have our own desktop and laptop computers. He uses his desktop more often where as I have my laptop parked on the kitchen table. We both have smart phones (Samsung Galaxy Nexus) and use them often. He has a Kindle Fire and I have a broken no-name Android tablet. As much as I do love my various devices, I can be just as happy going almost completely unplugged.

Our daughter is almost 9. She has a hand me down laptop, a digital walkman and a kid's model of tablet. She hardly ever gets to use them though because her behavior has been so rotten lately. When she does get her devices she needs help with managing her time on them but as long as we help her find something good that she really wants to do, she will cooperate with taking breaks.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)