Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

laundry detergent?

Posted by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 10:42 PM
  • 44 Replies
just wondering does anyone here make their own laundry detergent. I been thinking of making my own and would like some tips. thanks ladies.
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 10:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mhaney03
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 10:47 PM

I Do.  Hang on i'll fetch the link with directions. 

mhaney03
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 10:48 PM

http://www.budget101.com/myo-household-items/whipped-cream-super-laundry-soap-3993.html

This stuff is fantastic.  Used as a pretreater, it got blood stains out.

Can also be used to clean carpets, just make sure it doesn't take the color out of yours first!

countrymomma81
by Ruby Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 11:31 PM
1 mom liked this

Yeah. Most people make the liquid and I didn't find it that great. I make the powder and I won't buy detergent again. 

1 box of Borax
1 box of washing soda
1 box of baking soda
3 bars of grated Fels Naptha soap bars

You just pour it all into an airtight container and mix. I wash about 2-3 loads of laundry a day and this lasts me about 2 and a half months. And it costs a little less than $15 to make. I used to add OxyClean to each load but I didn't find it was doing any good so I quit.  

diaperstodating
by Queen25Princes on Jun. 17, 2013 at 11:36 PM
I make my own laundry detergent. I have no tips, I just started in April.
Kara242
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 11:46 PM
I tried once but all the ones I found called for borax and my son is allergic to it. So I went back to good ole Pyrex. 3$ for a box that lasts a month or longer.
4bubbles1982
by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 12:37 AM

I do the powder just like countrymomma81!! i absolutly love it!!

my4kidsrock2
by Bronze Member on Jun. 18, 2013 at 1:43 AM

I make my own. If you are just doing it to save money then most of the recipes you find online are great. If, like me, you have someone with sensitive skin then you shouldn't use Fels Naptha or Zote soaps since they have all of the same chemicals as store bought detergents anyways. I use Dr. Bronners vegan organic soap and it works great without irritating my sons skin. I love making my own soap and it still surprises me how easy it is, even after years of doing it, lol.

JasonsMom2007
by Lisa on Jun. 18, 2013 at 1:45 AM
I have but it didn't get the smell of urine out of my son's clothes :(
my4kidsrock2
by Bronze Member on Jun. 18, 2013 at 1:46 AM

I have a great recipe for Borax free powdered detergent if you would be interested   :)

Quoting Kara242:

I tried once but all the ones I found called for borax and my son is allergic to it. So I went back to good ole Pyrex. 3$ for a box that lasts a month or longer.

tanper29
by Member on Jun. 18, 2013 at 5:28 AM
I would be interested in a borax free recipe. I have sensitive skin

Quoting my4kidsrock2:

I have a great recipe for Borax free powdered detergent if you would be interested   :)

Quoting Kara242:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)