Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

Please help me or give advice I want to go to nursing school but i have a problem help..

Posted by on Jun. 20, 2013 at 3:59 AM
  • 4 Replies

Hello my name is Nicole I am 34 years old from Texas . I want to go to school its been my dream for a long time . I don't really know what options are available for me I work full time at a prison I am interested in getting into the associates degree program but dont know how to go about in doing so because I have to work somewhere while attending school to pay my bills. I just dont know which way to turn please give advice.....

by on Jun. 20, 2013 at 3:59 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
Amberleigh81
by Member on Jun. 20, 2013 at 5:56 AM
2 moms liked this
I am in an ADN program right now. I quit my job (well, just never returned after my maternity leave) and it's a real strain on our finances, but we're doing it so I can have good grades and finish... Nursing school is damn hard. I used to skate by with little study time, even in my old college days, but you can't do that in nursing school. My clinical paperwork (10-20 page reports due weekly) take 10-15 hours to complete, then I have 15-30 medication cards I have to hand-complete (required), THEN I have my studying for tests that fail you if you get a 79.

Working full time is super hard with all the extra time OUT of class, lab and clinicals you need. I suggest start saving like crazy now (my husband and I saved a year's worth of mortgage payments for two years before I had my baby and left my job). Also, see what grants and loans you qualify for... Try to get a PRN job at a hospital as a CNA while in school...

Hope this helps!!! Good luck!!!
Amberleigh81
by Member on Jun. 20, 2013 at 5:57 AM
Oh, and I am 32 with a 20mo son.
VAnavymom
by on Jun. 20, 2013 at 12:14 PM
1 mom liked this

A lot of moms go through this so you are not alone. Unfortunately with nursing school you have to actually attend the school. You can look at online courses to take your general education to start with then take a class or two a week at night if you have family to help with the kids. Don't keep putting it off if it is something you have always wanted!

anotherandree
by Inga on Jun. 20, 2013 at 1:54 PM
1 mom liked this

That is an AMAZING idea!  Most schoool offer online courses.  Figure out what school you will be doing the actual nursing portion and then find out if they offer online courses.  Most schools want you to graduate with a percentage of classes taken at their school so if you can take the online portion at their school too, you will be golden!

Quoting VAnavymom:

A lot of moms go through this so you are not alone. Unfortunately with nursing school you have to actually attend the school. You can look at online courses to take your general education to start with then take a class or two a week at night if you have family to help with the kids. Don't keep putting it off if it is something you have always wanted!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN