Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Help! Feeling very depressed about my last baby turning one!!

Posted by on Jun. 24, 2013 at 5:29 PM
  • 11 Replies

I'm am so sad that my son is turning one! I feel like I'm just going to cry the whole day! I'm almost 33 and my husband is turning 40 this year so we (well he) has decided we are not going to have anymore kids... I understand where he's coming from and financially we are living comfortably with 2 kids, plus we live in a 3 bedroom house... I get it... I'm just having an extremely hard time with know that was my last pregnancy, last newborn, blah, blah, blah... :) I can't seem to part with anything maternity or infant related! I feel like I would like to do this whole past year over again! My son was sick all the time and he was a VERY fussy baby and I was so sleep deprived until recently I just don't like I was able to enjoy him the way I wanted to... I'm just so sad!! Has anyone else felt this way about there child's first birthday??

by on Jun. 24, 2013 at 5:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
countrymomma81
by Platinum Member on Jun. 24, 2013 at 5:33 PM
1 mom liked this

No, sorry. I celebrate each birthday knowing that one more year is gone. Not that I'm waiting for them to leave the house or anything, I just can't wait until they aren't so dependant on me for everything. 

12yrmama
by Bronze Member on Jun. 24, 2013 at 9:17 PM
2 moms liked this

I totally relate. We have 3, the youngest is 19 mos and my dh decided we are done-for same reasons.

I have days were I regret our choice and I get very jealous when I see someone pregnant. But I try to concentrate on the life I will have ... time to spend with the kids we do have, extra money, SLEEP, getting back in shape, alone time with my hubby, and enjoying my mid-life crisis without young kids. My 50's will be like my 20's all over again :) travel, hobbies, friends, maybe go back to college.

Make a list of things you can do without young kids. And a list of things you can do with older, more independent kids- first days of school, trips, etc.

3Xthelove
by on Jun. 24, 2013 at 9:27 PM
Completely understand. My youngest is about to turn 3. She was very sick as a baby and I feel that I wasn't able to enjoy her infancy as much as I wanted to with her being my last baby most likely.

ReeseStrickland
by on Jun. 25, 2013 at 3:11 PM
1 mom liked this

Oh dear I feel that.  It seems like my baby nursing years went by so fast, and then they're gone forever.  My oldest is only nine but it came so fast.  And I do feel like I miss that first year because it's such a scrambling flash of teething and night feeding and just trying to hold myself together.  And then I look at pictures and wish I'd sat on the floor all day watching them coo and gurgle.  But you can't beat yourself up, it just doesn't work that way!

I just take that and pour it into being the best most nurturing Mom to the ones I have. And when they are older I would like to foster and possibly adopt through local social services, where my family volunteers occsaionally. We've certified and taken several classes there, but wouldn't be having more in our home until a while down the road.

There is something to think about though.

Jinxed8
by Gold Member on Jun. 25, 2013 at 4:44 PM

No, sorry.  To me the first birthday was a great acheivement, it was seeing my daughter grow up, gaining her independance a little more each day, starting to talk and walk it was awesome.   I've never cried at any of her birthdays.  Today she's a beautiful 9 1/2 year old, and I would not go back to the 0 - 1 year baby stage for all the tea in China !

happymama2D
by Member on Jun. 25, 2013 at 4:50 PM
1 mom liked this
I can relate. I think watching your babies grow up is very bittersweet. I love the infant stage and how incredibly cute they are when they start talking, etc. On the other hand they are so fun and you can have actual conversations with them as they get older! My youngest just turned three and I am savoring every moment. We had wanted another but it just wasn't in the cards for us. Cherish every moment!!
ThatGirlShelley
by Member on Jun. 25, 2013 at 6:25 PM
1 mom liked this

I can relate. My youngest and last seems like he is growing up much faster than the others.  While I am excited about moving away from the diaper/diaper bag/breastfeeding/stroller phase, I will miss him being little and cuddly.

Amberleigh81
by Member on Jun. 25, 2013 at 8:14 PM
We're one-and-done, so my first child IS my last child. I feel this way, but I feel more like I need to treasure EVERY stage and really be PRESENT in my son's life, no matter what stage he's in...

Also, I chuck his old stuff as soon as he outgrows it... Otherwise, I would never get rid of anything!
mom2one29
by on Jun. 25, 2013 at 10:05 PM

I have a 2 year old and I am sad he is growing up so fast. I feel like it went by too fast. I hope to have more children though. In the back of my mind I worry I wont be able to have anymore children and he will be my only child.

Give it time who says you have to get rid of the baby stuff right away?!

trae1982
by Timna on Jun. 26, 2013 at 2:28 AM
I know what you are saying, although I do not want more kids (we have 3). I feel like this last year has just went by way to fast and by baby turns 1 July 10th. Just the other day I was just remember how uncomfortable I was and couldn't wait to have my baby girl and now she is trying to walk and we are planning her birthday. So bitter sweet.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)