Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

Freaking out after dd's 2 month check up!!! **ETA**

Posted by on Jun. 27, 2013 at 8:28 PM
  • 208 Replies
10 moms liked this

My dd went for her 2 month checkup today. Her ped said she's small (10 pounds, 23.5 inches long). The part that has me freaking out is the dr's concern over her birthmarks. She has several "cafe au lait" spots (they are areas of darker pigmentation) all over her body, some are rather large. She said we may have to take her for genetic testing to rule out neurofibromatosis, which can cause developmental and/or cognitive delays. We don't have a family history, but it can be caused by a genetic mutation. I should have never googled it because now I'm really worried!!

6/28 @ 8pm...

Oh my goodness, thank you ladies SO much for your kind words, prayers and support! I appreciate them all. To answer some questions, these are not mongolian spots and DD is in the upper 10% for weight and 75% for length. She has to have a total of 6 spots over 1 centimeter across to be tested and right now she has 5 large ones and lots of tiny ones. We are going to monitor them until her 4 mo check up. Her ped knew she had really freaked me out and I think she felt guilty, but I appreciate her being so thorough. I am standing in faith that all she has is some crazy birthmarks...and staying OFF of google! Regardless, she's my beautiful, perfect, sweet baby girl! simple smile

6/29 @ 4 PM... Once again, thank you all so much for your support, love and prayers! It was really nice to read through all of the comments and see that more than 90% of them were positive and uplifting. You don't see that much here on CM!! I was pretty surprised to see that my post was featured...that was pretty cool...never had that happen before and definitely didn't think it would happen to this post. No matter what happens, I know DD will be just fine. She has a loving mommy, daddy, big sister, and extended family. I am still standing firm that she just has crazy birthmarks. We will see what happens at her 4 month check up...and I'm sticking with this pediatrician (even though some suggested that we switch) because she has been great with DD so far. We have had a few other issues and several trips to the doctor to monitor her growth/weight gain and this pediatrician has been nothing short of wonderful!
by on Jun. 27, 2013 at 8:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SHORTSHORT
by Bronze Member on Jun. 27, 2013 at 8:35 PM
2 moms liked this
Relax don't stress over it. I stressed when my son had large spots over his body when he was first born I don't think the doc said it may be what u said but I relised there was nothing I could but cuddle my baby an love..tho 8 yrs later he still is discolored in certain areas an is now fading in others he is my thriving loving child.I wish there was a magic word I could say to make u feel better an less stressed (hugs )
IQuitCounting
by Bronze Member on Jun. 27, 2013 at 8:35 PM
3 moms liked this

Worrying won't solve anything, and as easy as that is for me to say, I know it's also not that easy for you to stop doing.  But really, try to keep calm and remember that it's just one step at a time.  Testing will put your mind at rest, so I would say if the testing isn't invasive have it done now so you can put your mind at ease, or at least have answers.

12yrmama
by Bronze Member on Jun. 27, 2013 at 8:39 PM
3 moms liked this

Hopefully this is just a doctor who checks up on everything. There are always little things that worry us and make into crazy webmd-searching mamas; especially when pointed out by someone in a white coat.

Either it is or isn't. You and baby will handle whatever comes your way.

slgilliam
by on Jun. 28, 2013 at 12:54 PM
1 mom liked this

Was she born with these spots? Where are they located? My daughter was born with dark spots and has them over her body too primarily on her back and legs. They are called "Mongolian" spots. Maybe check with your pedi again or maybe like the previous poster said your pedi is just a doctor who checks everything. They should disappear around 1-2 years old if it does turn out to be those type of spots. I took my daughter to a geneticist for a different reason and she also mentioned the spots during our appt.

housediva82
by on Jun. 28, 2013 at 1:28 PM
1 mom liked this

Hang in there Im sure everything will be ok Keep us posted HUGS

lalasmama2007
by Ticia on Jun. 28, 2013 at 1:36 PM

I hope everything is okay!  Please keep us posted.

mhaney03
by Bronze Member on Jun. 28, 2013 at 1:45 PM
1 mom liked this

My daughter has that on her right arm.  We even had CPS called on us because some one thought it looked like abuse, had my daughter stripped and photographed.

Anyway, it wasn't anything to worry about for us, she met all her milestones and whatnot.  And for goodness sake, she's 2 months.  If she's a little behind on growth she has plenty of time to catch up.

Mel0dy
by on Jun. 28, 2013 at 1:46 PM

Try not to worry mama

SouthernMamaof1
by Member on Jun. 28, 2013 at 1:47 PM

When my DS when to his pediatric neurologist the first time, after he started having seizures, that was something he asked me about.  He asked if he had any birth marks.  I never knew why.

ilovemykids323
by on Jun. 28, 2013 at 1:47 PM
4 moms liked this

ahh yes google is evil when you are waiting for tests or results. Good luck i hope it all turns out fine!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)