Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

Would you think this is rude...

Posted by on Jun. 28, 2013 at 10:07 PM
  • 49 Replies

My mom and I were talking the other day and she told me that she is starting a new rule at her house. Everyone who comes in must take off their shoes because she doesn't like the idea of shoes being worn in the house. This doesn't bother me at all and of course I'll respect her wishes.

But she wants me to do the same. Basically make everyone who comes into my house take off their shoes. She wants my floors to be as clean as possible because of my two LOs. I personally would feel awkward asking people to take their shoes off when they come into my home. I wouldn't mind asking immediate family members...but we get a lot of neighbors, acquaintances, friends etc coming in and out of the house and I would feel awkward asking them to remove their shoes before coming in.

DH thinks that it's rude to ask someone to remove their shoes before coming in the house unless it's immediate family. I honestly don't think it's rude....it's just not something that I feel comfortable doing.

We decided that we're not going to ask people to remove their shoes but it got me thinking...

Do you think it's "rude" to ask someone to take off their shoes before coming into your house? Is it something that you would feel comfortable asking? Would you feel awkward if someone asked you to remove your shoes before you came into their home?

by on Jun. 28, 2013 at 10:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Knightquester
by on Jun. 28, 2013 at 10:20 PM
3 moms liked this

We take off our shoes in our home, and most guest see the shoes near the door and either ask if it's a house policy, or do the same.  It's something that I never grew up doing, but seems to be very commonplace here in the west coast vs. where I grew up in the Midwest.

I really don't ask anybody to take off their shoes, but my in-laws do ask and expect as do many other people I know.  It's not rude, but you have to have the desire to have a no shoe policy and be willing to enforce it.  I personally just don't care that much.

I know that for some people who get tired of asking or hate asking other people, they have a sign near their door that catches the attention of anybody visiting.

Something like....

Firewoman33
by Silver Member on Jun. 28, 2013 at 10:24 PM
2 moms liked this
Not only do I not think it's rude I think it's expected. Of course you take your shoes off when you go to someone's house. The only time I don't is if the hosts have their's on or I'm told specifically not to bother. That's generally only at a party.
Might be a regional thing. I live in Minnesota and if someone thinks they're going to track salt, sand and snow all over my house they are nuts. Lol
caseysmommy8911
by on Jun. 28, 2013 at 10:25 PM
3 moms liked this

I dont think its rude. Its your home. Personally i hate feet so i perfer people wear shoes.Lol

---terrah---
by on Jun. 28, 2013 at 10:28 PM

LOL....In the area of Pennsylvania where I live, it's almost unheard of to take off your shoes before you go into a house. It might be a regional thing. I think that's why I would feel quite odd asking someone to remove their shoes because it's just not common around here:)

Quoting Firewoman33:

Not only do I not think it's rude I think it's expected. Of course you take your shoes off when you go to someone's house. The only time I don't is if the hosts have there's on or I'm told specifically not to bother. That's generally only at a party.
Might be a regional thing. I live in Minnesota and if someone thinks there going to track salt, sand and snow all over my house they are nuts. Lol

lalasmama2007
by Ticia on Jun. 28, 2013 at 10:35 PM

I'm in PA as well and I've never been asked to take my shoes off in anyone's house and I wouldn't ask anyone to do it either.

Quoting ---terrah---:

LOL....In the area of Pennsylvania where I live, it's almost unheard of to take off your shoes before you go into a house. It might be a regional thing. I think that's why I would feel quite odd asking someone to remove their shoes because it's just not common around here:)

Quoting Firewoman33:

Not only do I not think it's rude I think it's expected. Of course you take your shoes off when you go to someone's house. The only time I don't is if the hosts have there's on or I'm told specifically not to bother. That's generally only at a party.
Might be a regional thing. I live in Minnesota and if someone thinks there going to track salt, sand and snow all over my house they are nuts. Lol

Firewoman33
by Silver Member on Jun. 28, 2013 at 10:35 PM
Eh then go with what you want. I doubt people wearing shoes in your house will make your kids sick.
Around here people generally just take them off. I don't recall ever having to ask.

Quoting ---terrah---:

Quoting Firewoman33:

soymujer
by Gold Member on Jun. 28, 2013 at 11:03 PM

We used to have that rule because we had white carpet.  Since we moved we haven't had it.

Kara242
by on Jun. 28, 2013 at 11:05 PM

thats the rule my dh grew up with. It keeps the carpet lasting longer and less dirty. SO when we got a house we did the same thing. We still take our shoes off no matter whos house we go to.

lacyd75
by on Jun. 28, 2013 at 11:16 PM

I don't know if it's actually rude. Alot of people do it at my house and I don't ask them to. I think they do it (the regular visitors) because they know how much of a pain in the as my floor is to clean and i'm a stickler about keeping clean. But if they don't I don't care. I grew up doing it. My dad was in oilfield and boots and stuff came off in the garage first thing. And it just became habit, plus my mom was a clean freak.

MumsTheWord571
by Bronze Member on Jun. 28, 2013 at 11:20 PM
That's my rule. Absolutely NO shoes on the carpet. All visitors are asked to remove their shoes when they come in. My family also do the same. No shoes on the carpet. It keeps it cleaner! You have NO idea where they were walking before in those shoes! They could be tracking in feces, viruses, bacteria and mold! Along with dirt, mud and oil! Yuck.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN