Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you get along with your in laws?

Posted by on Jun. 29, 2013 at 9:46 AM
  • 31 Replies
Mine are driving me nuts. We have recently moved and unfortunately now live in the same town. My MIL and SIL both act like i shelter my child too much and never let them do anything. (Hers never gets told no and she has let him.play outside by himself since he was two). And she was all over my husband the day telling him my two year old is too small and that my doctor must not give a crap since he isnt giving him anything. She also took it upon herself to give my kid sugary drinks saying he needs the calories. He is thin but not scrawny and yes a little short but hey so am I. My MiL agrees. I dont want them watching my kids because im afraid of what they will let them do or give them to eat. My husband agrees but doesnt want to cause ripples. And yes even if i talked to them about it they would still do it anyway because they think they are always right. Im not sure what to Do.
by on Jun. 29, 2013 at 9:46 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
momma2b2008
by Member on Jun. 29, 2013 at 9:53 AM
Lets just put it this way. I'm civil with them.

I get to spend my family vacation with someone who didn't take the time to spend time with his grand kids while they were 5 minutes away for 12 freaking days, so now he is coming to see us so he can spend more time with them! Needless to say I am pissed! He had 12 freaking days to spend with them. He does NOT need to come down and take 2 days away from our family vacation. Oh and we so graciously paid for a hotel room for him because he cannot afford to pay for one. So I am hiding out and taking my tests today for school. I have absolutely zero interest to spend time with someone like that!

Sorry for the vent :-(
MixedCooke
by Silver Member on Jun. 29, 2013 at 9:53 AM

To sOme degree I have to bite my tongue because our beliefs are different or they meddle a bit and I have to set them straight but I think we get along etter than most. Even our Mothers are like best friends and our siblings te along well too. 

staci1103
by on Jun. 29, 2013 at 9:54 AM
Yes very much so. Much more than my own lovely parents.
momma2b2008
by Member on Jun. 29, 2013 at 9:56 AM
1 mom liked this
I would limit the time he spends with them. Tell them that if they can't respect your parenting wishes then they can't spend as much time with your son. You have to set boundaries.

Quoting momma2b2008:

Lets just put it this way. I'm civil with them.

I get to spend my family vacation with someone who didn't take the time to spend time with his grand kids while they were 5 minutes away for 12 freaking days, so now he is coming to see us so he can spend more time with them! Needless to say I am pissed! He had 12 freaking days to spend with them. He does NOT need to come down and take 2 days away from our family vacation. Oh and we so graciously paid for a hotel room for him because he cannot afford to pay for one. So I am hiding out and taking my tests today for school. I have absolutely zero interest to spend time with someone like that!

Sorry for the vent :-(
MommyAddie
by Member on Jun. 29, 2013 at 10:02 AM
I'm sorry. Don't be mean to them, but hold your standards. You have to do what is right by your kids.

I just got back from a trip visiting my MIL and SILs without dh. I do things way differently. I don't feed the 1 year old as much as MIL thinks I should. I use a sleep sack, not blankets and pillows, like SIL who also has a 1 year old. And I cringed when my SIL let her baby play with a balloon (instant choking hazard if it pops!) but that's her kid and her decision. When they would tell me what to do, I just smiled and did my own thing. In some things, I was ok letting them in on. I don't use baby food jars, i make fresh food, but MIL was so proud of the food she bought and its not going to hurt or kill the baby, so we used it. I put my foot down when she wanted the baby to have a blanket in bed. It went well and I've always felt as much a part of their family as my own. It was actually hard to leave.

BUT I guess it's different because I could leave, lol. I don't know what it would be like to live around them all the time because dh and I moved away when I was pregnant. Who knows, maybe I'd want to strangle them. Try and be flexible and understanding, but don't compromise if you feel strongly or it's a safety issue. Good luck!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CampClan
by Bronze Member on Jun. 29, 2013 at 10:02 AM
Sort of. My biggest irritation is that my exMIL will text me day of & ask for the kids to come over or if DS (17) can mow. I haven't seen exFIL in almost 4 years (ex's parents are divorced). And that is perfectly fine with me as his wife is a real piece of work.
housediva82
by on Jun. 29, 2013 at 11:17 AM

We toerate eachother lol

JadeTigr7
by Bronze Member on Jun. 29, 2013 at 11:20 AM

We get along okay, but there are many things that bother me about them, and I'm sure them with me.

liss05
by Gold Member on Jun. 29, 2013 at 12:35 PM

I am respectful to him but he makes it very difficult for me to keep biting my tongue.devil mini

beans13
by Bronze Member on Jun. 29, 2013 at 12:39 PM
I am parked at the train station waiting for mil right now. She is coming for an afternoon visit and no longer has a car (lives downtown, we are in the burbs). Dh is working. We usually visit her so was pleasantly surprised she suggested this.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)