Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

Getting Mirena removed next week...but what happens after??

Posted by on Jul. 1, 2013 at 7:06 PM
  • 11 Replies

A few months back I had posted about regretting my decision to have the Mirena placed after the birth of my daughter.  After reading about all of the negative side effects and listening to my own body, I've decided to have it removed.  I have some question for the doctor, of course, but am curious about others' experiences.

How did you feel after it was removed?  Did you bleed right away or did it take awhile?  If right away, how long did it last?  What type of bc did you use?  Were you able to go straight from the IUD to the pill (which is what I would like to do)?  What other type of bc did you use, if any?  For those of you wanting to get pregnant, how long did it take after the Mirena was removed?  Did you have any trouble ttc?  How about negative side effects of removal?  I've heard of the "Mirena crash" and was wondering if anyone has experienced it?

Just a little anxious about having it removed and how it'll be afterward.  I know I'm making the right decision for me but would love some feedback from others.  Thanks!

by on Jul. 1, 2013 at 7:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SlightlyPerfect
Just imagine how much people could accomplish after they accept that there is no god. No god to blame. No god to thank. No god to praise. No god to grant or deny requests. No predetermined plan. Just imagine the possibilities that would come with that one realization that people have to take ownership of themselves, their choices, and their moral obligations.
Yesterday at 10:57 AM
by Bronze Member on Jul. 1, 2013 at 8:34 PM

I have it, and I love it. I'm due for a new one in February. I plan to go ahead and get another.

If you don't like yours, ask yourself three questions: Do you plan on having any more children? Do you like IUDs? Do you like hormone-based birth control?

If you don't want kids and like IUDs, try the ParaGard. If you don't like IUDs but don't want kids, try Essure. If you want kids and don't like IUDs and like hormone-based birth control, try the Nuva Ring.

slightlyperfect

e-doolittle
by Kelly on Jul. 1, 2013 at 10:14 PM
1 mom liked this

Here's a bump for you.  Good luck!

ymando
by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 12:05 AM
I want 1 more child, that's it. And I'd like to try for one soon. I haven't had too many issues with it and certainly haven't minded not having a period. The only other bc I've ever been on was the pill & never had problems with it. I was using it before my last pregnancy but not regularly & got on an antibiotic due to a sinus infection...hence my last pregnancy lol. Now that my life's more stable (not going through a custody battle) I think I'd rather get back on the pill until we start ttc. Can I get on the pill right after the IUD is removed? Like very next day even?
KendallsMommee
by Chrissy on Jul. 2, 2013 at 12:43 AM
I had mine removed after 9 miserable months of anxiety, depression, bloating, acne, hair loss, dizziness, and phantom "baby kicks ".

The first day of removal, I spotted a little. I then had a normal period about a week later. After about a month, all of those horrible side effects went away except for the anxiety. I still have that, 5 years later.

Dh had a vasectomy a week after the removal. He always swore he never would, but after seeing what I went through with that thing, he didn't want me using any type of Bc ever again.

Good luck!
violetlady
by Member on Jul. 2, 2013 at 12:49 AM
I loved mine, 5 years 3 of them without a period awesome. Never had any other side effect. Ijust removed it about3 weeks ago. It was painful , some spotting the same day , I took Tylenol for some cramps and that was it. We are going to ttc on august so we ate using condoms now , but after that I'm getting myrena again.
momofjnlj
by Member on Jul. 2, 2013 at 8:34 AM
Had it for 3 years. Took it out after having a painful cyst. Spotted immediately after, took midol. Period started a week or so later. I got pregnant 8 months later.
Jazzy2010
by Member on Jul. 2, 2013 at 2:57 PM
I'm scared to have mine removed but after almost 5 years I am ready. I can't wait till September.
Jinxed8
by Gold Member on Jul. 2, 2013 at 3:42 PM

I've had my Mirena about 2 years now ... I absolutely love the fact that I have no more period !!!! Before the Mirena I had 2 normal IUDs. It hurts to get them out but to me the pain was not much worst than having them put in it sucks, lasts a few minutes, you spot and then you're done.    They are supposed to last 5 years but mine shifted (which might happen too with the Mirena we'll see) if this one moves and has to be removed before the 5 years is up - I"m done.  I'm getting my tubes tied.  I do not want anymore children and this is non negociable.

Mom2jngnc
by Bronze Member on Jul. 2, 2013 at 3:50 PM

Dr CafeMom, Dr. WebMD and Dr Google are three of the worst people to ask. 

Honestly, after 6 yrs on here, I avoid most reocurring topics... car seats, breastfeeding, school supplies, and Birth Control. 

You will always get far more "OMG why would you use that one." Than you will "Wonderful i love it." I really wish I knew why.

I am on my second Mirena. My first one was taken out after 4 yrs to TTC, we were pregnant within 4 months. My second Mirena went in when he was a year old, and due this December for replacement. 

It will be replaced! I love it. 

It hurts to have it removed, unless they find the narrow window when you cervix is that slightly little bit opened. WHich is why some offices only place them during your cycle. 

I spotted, then went into my normal cycles within a week. 

ymando
by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 4:31 PM

I appreciate everyone's responses!  Still a little antsy about having it out, though won't rule out ever having another one.  And since we'll be ttc soon, I don't think I'm even going to worry about the pill.  Guess we'll just use condoms until then.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)