Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

Other people's kids

Posted by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 4:36 PM
  • 23 Replies

How are you with other people's children ?  My DD is an only child therefore my house practically has a revolving door of kids in and out of my house all the time, I usually never say no to sleepovers, play "dates", keeping friends for lunch or dinner etc ...

But Saturday night DD had a little friend at the house for 24 hours ; I gotta admit that by the time her dad called me to ask me what time to pick her up at it was not soon enough.  I hate the fact that the constant phrase seemed to be "Im bored" - She kept asking my daughter to ask me to do stuff like go in the hot tub or bring them to the park, whenever I said no, she'd complain and say that she's bored and talk behind my back to DD. " If you're so F8ING bored then GO HOME" I felt like saying. They swam, they watched movies, they played barbies, played Wii , they made cup cakes, they did chalk out side, they did drawings, they played ball I mean COME ON !   On Sunday for the first time in maybe ever, I said No to her calling a little friend,  My patience level was still not refilled from the day before.

Sometimes frankly it's less trouble when she's home by herself ... how do you deal with other people's children ?

by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 4:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ymando
by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 4:44 PM
2 moms liked this

When my kids have friends over, I'm usually a little more lenient but don't let them run amok, of course.  When they go to their friends' houses I expect them to act better than they do at home.  If their friends are rude, destructive, or bratty, I'm not afraid to tell them that their behavior won't be tolerated in my home.  I was taught you should be respectful of other people & their belongings.

Briesmom38
by Gold Member on Jul. 2, 2013 at 4:50 PM

I will admit when my dd was younger she had this friend that I would cringe every time they wanted to get together,lol  It didn't matter if it was the little girl coming over or my dd going over her house. The problem was I liked the little girl's mom, but the little girl was a handful!  She didn't listen not even to her mom.  When you would tell her not to do something she would just kinda stare at you, like she didn't even realize you were talking to her.  When she would stay overnight, I couldn't wait for her to go home, I know that's awful.  

Luckily they moved out of state and the girls have lost contact.

Now, my dd's best friend lives right around the corner from us.  She's a sweet girl, I never mind when she comes over and they are at the age where they entertain themselves,lol  

** It's 5 O'clock Somewhere **

morning_glories
by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 5:03 PM
1 mom liked this

I always believed that the entire reason you let your child invite a friend over was so they could play with each other and stay out of your hair. I don't entertain them, if anything I try to stay out of their way until meal time or if I make them a snack. Which I do usually provide at least one fun snack. Other than that -you brought your friend over so I didn't have to hear about how bored you are- lol.

xoxRachelxox
by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 5:19 PM
1 mom liked this

My oldest son is no longer allowed to have anyone over because he acts like a complete tool when his friends are over. 

The other two are only 5 and 3 so they don't really have friends come over yet. 

nurse1997
by Bronze Member on Jul. 2, 2013 at 8:27 PM

I dread when my kids ask !

IQuitCounting
by Bronze Member on Jul. 2, 2013 at 8:33 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't.  I have maybe one/two over at a time and as a playdate, so mom comes too.  I don't babysit often either.  I honestly just have no paitence for other people's kids.  I love a few of them individually, but as a whole, I'm not a fan.  My son is very well behaved, he knows all our rules, he takes very good care of this toys... I swear every toy we've had break has been because someone elses kid was too rough.  Drives me nuts.  Loud, messy, annoying.  No thank you.

JadeTigr7
by Bronze Member on Jul. 2, 2013 at 8:33 PM

Depends on the kids.

countrymomma81
by Platinum Member on Jul. 2, 2013 at 8:46 PM

My daughter is too young for friends to sleep over. My son has had a few with no trouble but due to us usually having exchange students in our house we normally don't have room for extras. 

That being said, I'm not good with other kids. I want to be, I'm just not. 

Knightquester
by Silver Member on Jul. 2, 2013 at 9:00 PM

I've never had any issues with other peoples children.  There have been moments where they might say or do something that isn't acceptable and I just let them know, then they shape up.  I rarely have had a child in my home for a lengthy period of time that I didn't know and that I didn't know the parents of.  There are a few high maintenance ones when it comes to energy level and such, but I just take those visits in strides.

If a kid that wasn't mine would've said they were bored then I'd have told them if they can't entertain themselves then I can call their parents to pick them up and we just won't do their visit again.  I always follow through with such actions too.

12yrmama
by Bronze Member on Jul. 2, 2013 at 9:00 PM

Yeah, apparently I'm the strickest, most hovering parent- ever. Because I actually walk past the room the are in. Well, get over it. I guess I try harder to give them their space but my house isn't some mc-mansion, they will see me!

My pet peeve is when they come over and just sit beside each other playing (different) video games! Come on! Leave the game at home or don't bother coming.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)