Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

Bedtime drama

Posted by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 9:20 PM
  • 15 Replies

My toddler just moved into her big-sis's bedroom and its been a bumpy ride. We are book reading, special blankets/animal, back rubbing 'bedtime' parents, and do a lot of bed-sharing too.

But when they moved into together it just didn't work to stay in the room with them for very long. So we have become the type of read, tuck in, and GO. We check in when it gets loud* and re-tuck, but then leave. No major back rubbing/cuddling- unless someones sick. It just not what works for them, right now. And I have learned you have to parent to the child, not parent for yourself. (this took three kids for me to learn)

What parenting styles have you had to change for your kids?

by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 9:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Thunderbug75
by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 9:29 PM

I swore I would NEVER let my DS sleep with me.  And I stuck with that for a few months.  Then I returned to work.  I just could not get up to nurse every couple of hours through out the night and then function properly at work.  So, DS would start out in his crib but then end up in my bed so I could nurse/sleep at night.  Worked great until DS got sick with a virus around the age of 5 mo.  He was running a temp of 103.5 with meds.  I was so scared I just let him sleep with us.  And boy did he sleep even after he got better!  Now two months later we bed share all the time.  And we all get a great nights sleep. 

arsjncmom
by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 9:32 PM

I never let the kids sleep with me. I used to be a stickler for them sleeping in their own beds, but lately the 3yr old has been sneaking out and sleeping on the couch. Being too tired to get up and move him back, I have begun to just deal with it for now.

ashleysmommy123
by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 10:19 PM

I never believed in cosleeping.  I have an 8 year old that when she was about 1 month old I transitioned into her crib out of the bassinet because I couldn't sleep with her so close.  I didn't nurse her because she wouldn't latch and I didn't have the patience to try everything and really dedicate the time.  So here I am now with my 8 month old.  She has slept in bed with me since birth.....it started in the hospital when all she would do was scream when I put her in her bassinet there.  We got home and it didn't go much better.  By 3 months I was at least able to get her to sleep in her bassinet but she didn't stay there.  I nurse her so when she wakes I pull her into bed and stick her on and we both go back to sleep.  It was never what I wanted to do and part of me thinks I should stop, but it works and we both get sleep.  So it is what it is.  She's happy and I'm rested!

KylesMom409
by Linnette on Jul. 2, 2013 at 10:44 PM
Bump!
Dabberdoo
by Bronze Member on Jul. 2, 2013 at 11:22 PM
Nothing. We've pretty much stuck to the same methods for all 6 kids.
e-doolittle
by Kelly on Jul. 3, 2013 at 12:12 AM
Bump!
Jinxed8
by Gold Member on Jul. 3, 2013 at 11:06 AM

I never wanted DD to sleep with me either.  When she was a little baby I did the "nurse in bed and fall asleep" deal but never for the whole night.  As she got older I did the read stories before bed, tuck her in a close the door.  When I got divorced, she started to get out of bed and sneak in mine in the middle of the night I had to cut that out.  I am trying to make bedtime Not an issue.  If you give mine an inch, she'll take 3 miles !!! Even now that she's 9.5 years old.  Dh and I both go up with her, give her a hug and kiss goodnight and close the door.

Firewoman33
by Silver Member on Jul. 3, 2013 at 11:10 AM

That's always been my bedtime routine with the kids. Unfortunately, my DH has other ideas. So nightly the kids make there way into our room. Drives me nuts.  

xoxRachelxox
by on Jul. 3, 2013 at 11:11 AM
1 mom liked this

I've had to learn to pick my battles with my oldest son.

He has ADHD and ODD so he's always doing something to get spoken to about.

I've learned to let the small things go and deal with the bigger things like being disrespectful and mouthy. If he's doing something and it's just annoying me, I do my best to just ignore it. I don't ignore the disrespect though. 

Pukalani79
by Kris on Jul. 3, 2013 at 1:31 PM

I've learned to choose what it is important and what is okay to let slide.  I think I've become a lot more relaxed in my parenting. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN