Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Circumcision regrets or not?

3 years after my husbands vasectomy he apparently grew a third vas deferens and I became pregnant with #4, a boy this time. (I have 3 daughters)

After reading that the AAP and Dr. Sears both say there is no medical reason for circumcision we are fairly certain we aren't doing it.  However my husband is circumcised, and I'm a woman so tough call.

Anyone have uncirsumcized sons or hubbies? Regrets?  Circumcized a baby a regretted it?  Opinions?

by on Jul. 3, 2013 at 9:22 AM
Replies (11-20):
JadeTigr7
by Bronze Member on Jul. 3, 2013 at 10:29 AM
I have two circ'd sons. Yes I regret it. My youngest sons circ was botched, botched even more by an ER doctor while was bleeding out, then had to have reconstructive surgery on his penis and is still in pull-ups now because he is unable to feel urination. He's almost 6.
ReeseStrickland
by on Jul. 3, 2013 at 11:36 AM
Well hearing what a variety of other parents experienced is as important to me as getting statistics and medical info. And you're still the only one worked up. Find something else to do please, your font and rants take up too much space.

Quoting Dabberdoo:

Oh forevermore. I wasn't being ugly. It was a legitimate question. If you have been around here any length of time at all you would know that discussions about circumcision rarely stay civil. And if you really want good information, go research it for yourself, make your decision, and stand by it. You really shouldn't be so defensive.

Quoting ReeseStrickland:

No I'm not. Two questions, Did you circumcize and regret or did you not circumcize and regret.  Very simple, so far you are the only ugly thing about this conversations.  If you're so comfortable with your decision then settle down and go comment somewhere else, there is no need for ugliness.  I am just getting as much info and opinions as possible before making a final decision.

Jinxed8
by Gold Member on Jul. 3, 2013 at 11:43 AM

I wouldn't do it if I had a son

mumamy
by on Jul. 3, 2013 at 11:45 AM
2 moms liked this

We decided not to get it done (of course we would if he medically needed too). We felt it was his choice when he was much older if he wants to get it done. No regrets. It's such a personal choice.

snowangel1979
by Bronze Member on Jul. 3, 2013 at 11:50 AM
1 mom liked this
I've had 3 sons, all 3 have been circumcised. If I ever have another boy, he will be also.

I have no regrets.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aimesnyc
by Member on Jul. 3, 2013 at 11:54 AM
3 moms liked this

My husband and son are intact.  No regrets.  No medically unnecessary cutting for this family.

themissheather
by on Jul. 3, 2013 at 12:00 PM
I really disagree with having it done, and won't circ any sons I have. My husband after researching with me, wishes it wasn't done to him.
ReeseStrickland
by on Jul. 3, 2013 at 12:12 PM

Ahhh so sorry to hear!  Is this something that will eventually improve?

Quoting JadeTigr7:

I have two circ'd sons. Yes I regret it. My youngest sons circ was botched, botched even more by an ER doctor while was bleeding out, then had to have reconstructive surgery on his penis and is still in pull-ups now because he is unable to feel urination. He's almost 6.

JadeTigr7
by Bronze Member on Jul. 3, 2013 at 12:30 PM

As of right now, they aren't sure.  We have to set a timer to get him to stay dry.  All day every day, but he still has to wear a pull up because he still has accidents and doesn't know it.  He can poop in the potty, and he'll go on his own then, but that's it.

When I was considering circumcising both times, I was NEVER told that was a risk.  After now researching into it more, I've realized this isn't as rare as you would think. 

Quoting ReeseStrickland:

Ahhh so sorry to hear!  Is this something that will eventually improve?

Quoting JadeTigr7:

~Crystal~

Homeschooling Mama to James, Jade, Steven, Willow and Katara
Wifey to Michael since 3-30-05

OoOJanisOoO
by on Jul. 3, 2013 at 12:51 PM
1 mom liked this

My first son has a different dad then my others. I left the decision up to their dads because I didn't really care one way or the other. My oldest son's father is not circumcized but he insisted that my son should be. Now my husband is not circumcized either but he didn't want our son to be so he wasn't. Right away I regretted it. His skin was very tight and his foreskin would fill up like a balloon when he peed. I just worried (and still do) that he will need to be circumcized later. I think that would be tramatic and just wish we had done it at birth. Now he is 4 and his skin is still tight and he makes a big mess when he pees but I am going to wait and see if it gets better on its own. My oldest is 14 now and has had no issues. Infact we have talked about it because he knew his little brother wasn't and he is very happy to be circumcized.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)