Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

Circumcision regrets or not?

3 years after my husbands vasectomy he apparently grew a third vas deferens and I became pregnant with #4, a boy this time. (I have 3 daughters)

After reading that the AAP and Dr. Sears both say there is no medical reason for circumcision we are fairly certain we aren't doing it.  However my husband is circumcised, and I'm a woman so tough call.

Anyone have uncirsumcized sons or hubbies? Regrets?  Circumcized a baby a regretted it?  Opinions?

by on Jul. 3, 2013 at 9:22 AM
Replies (21-30):
VintageWife
by Silver Member on Jul. 3, 2013 at 12:55 PM
My two are because I didn't know better. Future ones won't be. My second sons was messed up and had to be fixed.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
VintageWife
by Silver Member on Jul. 3, 2013 at 12:55 PM
That's horrible!!! My sons was messed up too (he is also 6) but not that bad :(

Quoting JadeTigr7:

I have two circ'd sons. Yes I regret it. My youngest sons circ was botched, botched even more by an ER doctor while was bleeding out, then had to have reconstructive surgery on his penis and is still in pull-ups now because he is unable to feel urination. He's almost 6.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mommy2Boys0900
by Unique Yanique on Jul. 3, 2013 at 1:01 PM
1 mom liked this
Both of my boys were circumcized and I have no regrets. My youngest was in the NICU shortly after birth and I started not to have it done, but quickly changed my mind and had it done b4 he was discharged.
Pukalani79
by Kris on Jul. 3, 2013 at 1:22 PM

Me too

Quoting Dabberdoo:

This is going to get ugly. My sons are circumsized and I have no regrets. I'm very comfortable with my parenting choices.

ReeseStrickland
by on Jul. 3, 2013 at 2:52 PM
1 mom liked this

This is the most helpful response yet!  Do you know why the uncircumcized Father felt his son should be?

Quoting OoOJanisOoO:

My first son has a different dad then my others. I left the decision up to their dads because I didn't really care one way or the other. My oldest son's father is not circumcized but he insisted that my son should be. Now my husband is not circumcized either but he didn't want our son to be so he wasn't. Right away I regretted it. His skin was very tight and his foreskin would fill up like a balloon when he peed. I just worried (and still do) that he will need to be circumcized later. I think that would be tramatic and just wish we had done it at birth. Now he is 4 and his skin is still tight and he makes a big mess when he pees but I am going to wait and see if it gets better on its own. My oldest is 14 now and has had no issues. Infact we have talked about it because he knew his little brother wasn't and he is very happy to be circumcized.

CaileighsMom608
by on Jul. 3, 2013 at 3:03 PM

neither of my boys are.  I have no regrets.  They have never had a problem with cleaning it.  I taught them who to clean themselves even when I was still bathing them so that I knew they were doing it correct.

It is a personal choice I dont think that one is better than the other.

12yrmama
by Bronze Member on Jul. 3, 2013 at 3:10 PM

Yeah, my son is circumcised because his dad is.

I know that it is a scary thought to 'cut' your newborn child... but he was born when it was still considered an option and I didn't trust us to teach him to wash and care for what 'we' didn't have.

I think now, after all the education/parenting experience, I wouldn't do it. But you just have to do what you are comfortable with in the moment.

SuDoNim
by on Jul. 3, 2013 at 3:14 PM

I have 2 boys. My older one is circ'd, because that was still pretty much the default choice when he was born; I didn't think twice about it and wasn't even really sure what it entailed. My younger one is intact, because by the time he was born, the AAP wasn't recommending it, and didn't see a good reason to have it done.

As odd as it sounds, I sort of regret not having my younger son circ'd because I worry that he's going to feel self-concious about it. I wouldn't consider having it done now (he's 2.5) because the risks increase the later a circ is done.

KeimUNCmomof3
by Bronze Member on Jul. 3, 2013 at 4:23 PM

You caught me at your husband's vasectomy failed....smh, i hope that my husband's vasectomy holds up FOREVER and I never get pregnant again....it would be very risky for me, not a good thing at all. 

No regrets with my two sons.  I left it up to my husband to decide.  I'll tell you what though, it's painful to watch the procedure...but, it's comforting for your baby boy if you're there.

mom22boys333
by Member on Jul. 3, 2013 at 4:41 PM
1 mom liked this

Neither my husband or ds's are circumcised and we don't regret the decision.  1) We aren't Jewish and 2) both of us feel that circumcision is similar to genital mutilation......My family acted like I was mentally ill for not having it done.  If you choose for him to be intact, make sure he starts pulling it back between 2-5 yrs and keeps it clean....otherwise he could have problems....Also keep in mind problem do arise from having circumcisions....My cousin was circumcised and at 2 the skin began to "fuse" or something and the Dr. had to pull it back and cut it again and he was miserable for weeks.

Good luck!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)