Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Circumcision regrets or not?

3 years after my husbands vasectomy he apparently grew a third vas deferens and I became pregnant with #4, a boy this time. (I have 3 daughters)

After reading that the AAP and Dr. Sears both say there is no medical reason for circumcision we are fairly certain we aren't doing it.  However my husband is circumcised, and I'm a woman so tough call.

Anyone have uncirsumcized sons or hubbies? Regrets?  Circumcized a baby a regretted it?  Opinions?

by on Jul. 3, 2013 at 9:22 AM
Replies (31-40):
sdgd21
by Diana on Jul. 3, 2013 at 4:48 PM
If you don't do it he'll be upset. Most women don't like the look. And my dh said they always teased the one that was not in gym. That's my. 2 cents. But I will say with my first I did not. And he got infected and had to have it done at 6! He was in so much pain. :-(
ReeseStrickland
by on Jul. 3, 2013 at 5:03 PM

Neither of us knew there was a possibility of 3rd vas deferens.  Make sure he checks his count every 6 months! We never did after that first clean test. =)

Quoting KeimUNCmomof3:

You caught me at your husband's vasectomy failed....smh, i hope that my husband's vasectomy holds up FOREVER and I never get pregnant again....it would be very risky for me, not a good thing at all. 

No regrets with my two sons.  I left it up to my husband to decide.  I'll tell you what though, it's painful to watch the procedure...but, it's comforting for your baby boy if you're there.

countrymomma81
by Platinum Member on Jul. 3, 2013 at 5:08 PM

My DH is not circumsized and hates it. He has no medical reason for it so insurance won't pay for it. He wants to get it done badly. He insisted our son get cut and insurance paid for it back then. Neither of us have any regrets. 

OoOJanisOoO
by on Jul. 3, 2013 at 5:23 PM
Quoting ReeseStrickland:

I think my oldest's father might have been embarrassed by being uncircumcised. He never wanted to talk about it. He really insited our son have it he wouldn't give me a reason though. He was a runner so maybe he got made fun of in the locker room or something. My hubby on the other hand never had any issues but he grew up in a different country where no one gets circumcised.
latopmom
by Member on Jul. 4, 2013 at 8:45 PM

This.....It was a decision that me and his dad made together.

Quoting e-doolittle:

my DS is circumsized.  I do not regret it.

Aslen
by Member on Jul. 4, 2013 at 8:46 PM
1 mom liked this

I have no regrets whatsoever about leaving my boys alone.

One of the best things I ever did was leave them the way God intedted them to be!

PM op, if you have any questions :)

momtoBrenna
by Member on Jul. 5, 2013 at 1:04 AM

2-5 may be too young for some to pull it back, the average age of full retractability is 10. As long as they are able to pee and retract it once it's ready, which may not happen until they are teens, they won't have issues. When they're retracted forcibly too young is when they have major potential for problems. 

OP, my ds is intact and has had no problems. He will be 5 on Saturday. My brother is also intact and, as far as I know, has never had any issues either. He is 27 now. Go with your gut. 

Quoting mom22boys333:

Neither my husband or ds's are circumcised and we don't regret the decision.  1) We aren't Jewish and 2) both of us feel that circumcision is similar to genital mutilation......My family acted like I was mentally ill for not having it done.  If you choose for him to be intact, make sure he starts pulling it back between 2-5 yrs and keeps it clean....otherwise he could have problems....Also keep in mind problem do arise from having circumcisions....My cousin was circumcised and at 2 the skin began to "fuse" or something and the Dr. had to pull it back and cut it again and he was miserable for weeks.

Good luck!

sallymoon
by Member on Jul. 5, 2013 at 4:09 AM

It is completely normal and healthy for the foreskin to be tight on a prepubescent intact boy.  It is fused to the glans at birth as a protective function and will slowly separate and become retractable sometime before adulthood.  The boy is the only person whom should ever be retracting his foreskin, and only once it becomes naturally retractable.  Ballooning is also completely normal and healthy.  It happens when the foreskin is separating from the glans but is not yet fully retractable.

Quoting OoOJanisOoO:

My first son has a different dad then my others. I left the decision up to their dads because I didn't really care one way or the other. My oldest son's father is not circumcized but he insisted that my son should be. Now my husband is not circumcized either but he didn't want our son to be so he wasn't. Right away I regretted it. His skin was very tight and his foreskin would fill up like a balloon when he peed. I just worried (and still do) that he will need to be circumcized later. I think that would be tramatic and just wish we had done it at birth. Now he is 4 and his skin is still tight and he makes a big mess when he pees but I am going to wait and see if it gets better on its own. My oldest is 14 now and has had no issues. Infact we have talked about it because he knew his little brother wasn't and he is very happy to be circumcized.

Child Passenger Safety Technician

AtillaTheHun
by Member on Jul. 5, 2013 at 4:18 AM
1 mom liked this
Both of my sons are and I do not regret the decision.
SHORTSHORT
by Bronze Member on Jul. 5, 2013 at 6:43 AM

i have no regrets in letting my boys get circumcised. the only part that bothers me is the fact that i put my boys thru the pain. my 8yr an my 18 yr old skin grew back by time they were 6. their pedi thinks its weird that both my boys skin grew back 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)