Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

Circumcision regrets or not?

3 years after my husbands vasectomy he apparently grew a third vas deferens and I became pregnant with #4, a boy this time. (I have 3 daughters)

After reading that the AAP and Dr. Sears both say there is no medical reason for circumcision we are fairly certain we aren't doing it.  However my husband is circumcised, and I'm a woman so tough call.

Anyone have uncirsumcized sons or hubbies? Regrets?  Circumcized a baby a regretted it?  Opinions?

by on Jul. 3, 2013 at 9:22 AM
Replies (41-50):
Moof4boys
by on Jul. 5, 2013 at 8:42 AM
Quoting JadeTigr7:

I have two circ'd sons. Yes I regret it. My youngest sons circ was botched, botched even more by an ER doctor while was bleeding out, then had to have reconstructive surgery on his penis and is still in pull-ups now because he is unable to feel urination. He's almost 6.

That is terrible poor little man and mum. :-(
Thunderbug75
by on Jul. 5, 2013 at 8:54 AM
1 mom liked this

I let my son's father decide.  He wanted our son circumcised and I agreed with his decision.  No regrets.

ReeseStrickland
by on Jul. 5, 2013 at 9:44 AM
What is it that he hates about it?

Quoting countrymomma81:

My DH is not circumsized and hates it. He has no medical reason for it so insurance won't pay for it. He wants to get it done badly. He insisted our son get cut and insurance paid for it back then. Neither of us have any regrets. 

countrymomma81
by Platinum Member on Jul. 5, 2013 at 11:28 AM
1 mom liked this

I guess he doesn't like the way it looks. He says it's ugly and he's embarrassed about it. Always has been. Poor dude was a virgin until he was 20 (I was his first) because he didn't want to get clowned about it. The night we found out we were having a boy he said he wanted our son to be circumcised. I didn't have an issue with it...it's normal in my family. Before DH I'd never seen an uncut penis. Hell I didn't even realize it was a process, I just thought they came like that....lmao!

Quoting ReeseStrickland:

What is it that he hates about it?

Quoting countrymomma81:

My DH is not circumsized and hates it. He has no medical reason for it so insurance won't pay for it. He wants to get it done badly. He insisted our son get cut and insurance paid for it back then. Neither of us have any regrets. 

sallymoon
by on Jul. 5, 2013 at 1:11 PM
1 mom liked this

My husband is circumcised but refused to repeat his parents' mistake.  He told me that our son is the only one who has a right to make a decision about elective cosmetic surgery.  The foreskin has numerous sexual and protective functions, and I am very glad that I did not allow a healthy and beneficial body part to be needlessly taken from my child.  If my son ever wants to be circumcised, he can.  But if I'd had him circumcised and he grew up to wish he was still intact (there are hundreds of thousands of men who do), no amount of "I'm sorry" could get his foreskin back.

Everything that circumcision claims to possibly prevent can be prevented more effectively by less invasive methods.  It is more likely that a baby boy will die from circumcision than it is that he will ever need to be circumcised later on.  It is also more likely for a circumcised male to have problems (infection, skin bridges, erectile dysfunction, adhesion, painful erections, meatal stenosis, etc) than for an intact male to ever have an issue.  I have never found a logical reason to have my healthy child circumcised, only more reasons to leave the foreskin alone.

Child Passenger Safety Technician

anotherandree
by Inga on Jul. 5, 2013 at 1:12 PM

LOL!!!

Quoting Dabberdoo:

Are you fairly new to Cafemom?

Quoting ReeseStrickland:

Why would it get ugly?

Quoting Dabberdoo:

This is going to get ugly. My sons are circumsized and I have no regrets. I'm very comfortable with my parenting choices.

hhhanna
by on Jul. 5, 2013 at 1:13 PM

Circumcized my two, no regrets.

OoOJanisOoO
by on Jul. 5, 2013 at 1:14 PM

Reading that makes me feel better. A few of his doctors were really concered but I have read that a lot of American doctors don't have much expierence with intact boys. We have decided to wait it out. If he is still having issues when he is a teenager and wants to do something about then we will.

Quoting sallymoon:

It is completely normal and healthy for the foreskin to be tight on a prepubescent intact boy.  It is fused to the glans at birth as a protective function and will slowly separate and become retractable sometime before adulthood.  The boy is the only person whom should ever be retracting his foreskin, and only once it becomes naturally retractable.  Ballooning is also completely normal and healthy.  It happens when the foreskin is separating from the glans but is not yet fully retractable.

Quoting OoOJanisOoO:

My first son has a different dad then my others. I left the decision up to their dads because I didn't really care one way or the other. My oldest son's father is not circumcized but he insisted that my son should be. Now my husband is not circumcized either but he didn't want our son to be so he wasn't. Right away I regretted it. His skin was very tight and his foreskin would fill up like a balloon when he peed. I just worried (and still do) that he will need to be circumcized later. I think that would be tramatic and just wish we had done it at birth. Now he is 4 and his skin is still tight and he makes a big mess when he pees but I am going to wait and see if it gets better on its own. My oldest is 14 now and has had no issues. Infact we have talked about it because he knew his little brother wasn't and he is very happy to be circumcized.

Hafsa1
by Member on Jul. 5, 2013 at 1:15 PM
Ds is circumcised and baby#2 will also be circumcised when he's born. No regrets
anotherandree
by Inga on Jul. 5, 2013 at 1:16 PM

Both of my sons are circumcised and I do not regret either.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN