Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

Sahm's who are/have returned to work--are you ever really ready to leave your kids again??

Posted by on Jul. 4, 2013 at 1:58 PM
  • 14 Replies

I'm 37 yrs old and have been a sahm for a little over 9 yrs now.  My kids are 9 and 6.  Prior to being a sahm, I worked as an RN.  It wasn't planned that I would be a sahm....it just so happened that the office where I worked changed its setup and all the RN's and LPN's lost their jobs.  This happened when I was about 7-8 months pregnant with my son.  So, dh and I decided we'll see how it goes with me being home full time, and thankfully it has worked out ever since.  Now, my dd will be in 1st grade and going to school full time this coming year, and I'm looking at the possibilities for returning to work.  I'm not sure if I want to jump right back into nursing right away, or try to find something part-time and close to home so I can still be here before and after school.  We hadn't planned on me going back quite yet, but now I see this job listing in our local paper yesterday which could be right for me.  But the thought of having to leave my kids some of the time and go back to work right in the middle of their summer vacation isn't good.  So, am I just not ready YET to leave them--or will I never really feel ready??

by on Jul. 4, 2013 at 1:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
emarin77
by Bronze Member on Jul. 4, 2013 at 4:49 PM

Look for a part time job, that is what I'm doing now. 

jennfin
by on Jul. 4, 2013 at 5:04 PM

I've been home 5.5 yrs..My son wants me to work like the other moms at his school so he can go to aftercare with his classmates. I was a social worker prior to becoming a parent. I would love a part time job. I am finding that there are more choices in my field if I return full time. I don't think I want to do that but we'll see.

quietmomma
by Member on Jul. 4, 2013 at 5:06 PM

BUMP!

Dcjgar01
by Member on Jul. 4, 2013 at 6:42 PM
1 mom liked this

That is my story. I have a 6 yr old. I was a RN.

e-doolittle
by Kelly on Jul. 4, 2013 at 7:42 PM

You never really feel ready.  RN's can sometimes do part time.  Is that possible for you?

JadeTigr7
by Bronze Member on Jul. 4, 2013 at 8:18 PM
Eh. I'm not sure. I just started working from home. I homeschool my kids so I wouldn't be able to return to work for many years. When I can I think I probably would want to return.
quietmomma
by Member on Jul. 5, 2013 at 10:02 PM

My dh and I have discussed working from home as a definite possibility for me, but I'm not sure how to get into it.  How did you find what you're doing??

Quoting JadeTigr7:

Eh. I'm not sure. I just started working from home. I homeschool my kids so I wouldn't be able to return to work for many years. When I can I think I probably would want to return.

KylesMom409
by Linnette on Jul. 5, 2013 at 10:04 PM
1 mom liked this
Bump!
JadeTigr7
by Bronze Member on Jul. 5, 2013 at 10:11 PM
My best friend started it, and then when she started meeting others making a good amount of money, and is starting to make her own good amount of money she finally convinced me to try.

It takes actual work, and without that it doesn't pay but I'm already convinced.

I can message you about it if you want.

Quoting quietmomma:

My dh and I have discussed working from home as a definite possibility for me, but I'm not sure how to get into it.  How did you find what you're doing??

Quoting JadeTigr7:

ardiaxe
by Member on Jul. 6, 2013 at 3:07 AM
I'm an RN as well and went back to work just recently. My youngest is 2.5yrs. I work one 12 hr nightshift a week on Fridays so that my husband can watch the kids while I sleep. I love it and it makes me feel like I have the best of both worlds.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)