Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

He asked me to give him..........

Posted by on Jul. 6, 2013 at 12:41 AM
  • 38 Replies

an allowance. That is all. 

My youngest child asked me for an allowance. Does any one give allowances any more? If so how much?

I have 5 kids and each one has about 2 to 3 age appropriate chores. Most have 2 daily chores and 1 weekly chore. Ages are 16,13,12,10,and 9.

I am a single mom, works full-time....my kids don't go without the things they need, but they also don't have an over abundance of useless things either.

We dont have expensive video game systems or i phones. Only 2 have cell phones that are only able to talk and text. I do spoil each one and buy them special things that I know each one adores...like my youngest boy collects stuffed animal dogs. My oldest girl adores any thing horses. So sometimes (not all) when I/we are out and I have money I will buy them something just because.

Thanks Ladies

by on Jul. 6, 2013 at 12:41 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lalasmama2007
by Ticia on Jul. 6, 2013 at 1:38 AM

My dd is 6 and she doesn't get an allowance.  I never got one when I was a child.

KendallsMommee
by Chrissy on Jul. 6, 2013 at 1:56 AM
This exactly.

Quoting lalasmama2007:

My dd is 6 and she doesn't get an allowance.  I never got one when I was a child.

FIREFOX1336
by on Jul. 6, 2013 at 2:03 AM
I never got an allowance, but if I ever asked to do anything my dad always made sure I had a $20 bill in my pocket, I didn't do an abundance of things only once or twice a month. And now a days with how prices have gone up I'd probably need 25-30$
Pukalani79
by Kris on Jul. 6, 2013 at 2:21 AM

My kids have asked for that as well.   If they do chores and keep their rooms clean, we'll probably give them $5/week.  My son (almost 12) mows the lawns and we pay him for that as well. 

anotherandree
by Inga on Jul. 6, 2013 at 2:31 AM
3 moms liked this

We do allowances during the school year (when there is more of a routine).  The kids do have daily chores (like keeping their rooms clean, of course) and then also helping out around the house chores like emptying the dishwasher.  However, we give them a few extra as well.  We want them to learn how to not only earn money, but how to save up for things, tithe at church, spend their money, and how tax at the store works.  It's not just about getting and recieving things from their parents but learning about the financial system as well.

grneyedormom
by Kendra on Jul. 6, 2013 at 11:34 AM
1 mom liked this
My daughter earns $5/week doing her chores and extras around the house. I grew up with an allowance to buy the things I wanted that my parents essentially didn't want to buy for me as I got older. :) I also earned extra money by doing additional things like washing the cars and mowing the lawn.
LongBeachLiz
by on Jul. 6, 2013 at 11:38 AM
1 mom liked this
My dd refuses to do anything but thinks she's entitled to an allowence. I had a good laugh though...
mumamy
by on Jul. 6, 2013 at 11:55 AM

I was given an allowance from 16 onwards.
I give my kids pocket money but no allowance (and we wont give one with the other).

justahousewife
by on Jul. 6, 2013 at 12:56 PM

No allowances here, however I do sometimes reward with cash when we've had a peaceful week of me not having to remind anyone to do chores or discipline for broken rules, etc. And when I ask for extra work to be done I generally give a cash incentive. 

esox
by Bronze Member on Jul. 6, 2013 at 1:01 PM
When I was really little my dad would bring a candy bar home on Friday for each of us if we helped with chores throughout the week. Then when I was about 8 or 9 he started giving me $5 a week. If we wanted something we had to save for it.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN