Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Childcare

Posted by on Jul. 8, 2013 at 2:48 PM
  • 26 Replies

What's better in you opinion home care or center care? 

What kinds of things should I look for?

What should I ask?

Our situation is changing and I need to put my kids into childcare for the first time. I'm just looking for some guidance. My last experience with daycare was attending in the early to mid-80's. lol

by on Jul. 8, 2013 at 2:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
catevincesmom
by on Jul. 8, 2013 at 2:53 PM

I've seen some good & bad of both.  So be careful.  Day cares are usually licensed, as some home centers may be, check w/ your state about that. . .  You can probably look online for some resources to check out day care centers before you enroll.  Here, I found one that posted reports on state inspections & such.  Good luck . .

othermom
by Member on Jul. 8, 2013 at 3:01 PM

It just deends on what you like. I look for cleanliness, child to care giver ratio, cost, location, what they offer, what their policies are for picking up early and stuff. There are times I would get off early and come in unannounced to see what was going on. I liked to stop and talk about the day before I left and when I dropped off my child to let them know what was going on and to see how he was doing. I haven't had to use daycare for years though since the last job I had was opposite of my husband so he was home with the kids.

alexsmomaubrys2
by Bronze Member on Jul. 8, 2013 at 3:02 PM
1 mom liked this

I would rather have a nanny come into my home.

slgilliam
by on Jul. 8, 2013 at 3:08 PM

Does your state have a list? I live in Kansas and we have a list of providers that can be provided. How old are your children? You could also Google good questions to ask. I couldn't copy and paste it on here but Babycenter.com has some really good questions.

For me, personally I am doing both. I really wanted a home care because that's where I went when I was growing up but no one had room for my baby. I ended up going with a center for 7 weeks and it was incredibly expensive. However once I return to work from summer break my daughter will be going to a home care. Good Luck!

Jinxed8
by Gold Member on Jul. 8, 2013 at 3:57 PM

I personally wanted a home based day care for my daughter - I went back to work when she was 10 months old and I wanted a second mom for her, I wanted her to have personalized care and not treated like a number or a thing.

• I visited the daycare with my daughter
  • asked what her hours were,
  • what the routine was,
  • how many children she had in her care,
  • what they did on a daily basis,
  • what was included, price,
  • how did the meals work,
  • vacation / off time / holidays
  • what she expected of me as a parent,
  • and what I was to expect of her. 
  • I watched how she interacted with my child.

For the first few days, I also did 1/2 days and spot checks. My DD was there from age 10 months until she started kindergarden. 

References are useless as nobody will ever give you the numbers of their bad references.  I went with my gutt.  I was right. Never regretted my decision

Firewoman33
by Silver Member on Jul. 8, 2013 at 4:48 PM

Thanks this is very helpful!

Quoting Jinxed8:

I personally wanted a home based day care for my daughter - I went back to work when she was 10 months old and I wanted a second mom for her, I wanted her to have personalized care and not treated like a number or a thing.

• I visited the daycare with my daughter
  • asked what her hours were,
  • what the routine was,
  • how many children she had in her care,
  • what they did on a daily basis,
  • what was included, price,
  • how did the meals work,
  • vacation / off time / holidays
  • what she expected of me as a parent,
  • and what I was to expect of her. 
  • I watched how she interacted with my child.

For the first few days, I also did 1/2 days and spot checks. My DD was there from age 10 months until she started kindergarden. 

References are useless as nobody will ever give you the numbers of their bad references.  I went with my gutt.  I was right. Never regretted my decision

Firewoman33
by Silver Member on Jul. 8, 2013 at 4:52 PM

I'm a little leary of home care since my personal experiences were so bad. However, I hear a lot of horror stories about centers as well. :(

I guess my best bet is going to interview and go with my gut. 

Quoting slgilliam:

Does your state have a list? I live in Kansas and we have a list of providers that can be provided. How old are your children? You could also Google good questions to ask. I couldn't copy and paste it on here but Babycenter.com has some really good questions.

For me, personally I am doing both. I really wanted a home care because that's where I went when I was growing up but no one had room for my baby. I ended up going with a center for 7 weeks and it was incredibly expensive. However once I return to work from summer break my daughter will be going to a home care. Good Luck!

Firewoman33
by Silver Member on Jul. 8, 2013 at 4:57 PM

That might be something I have to look into. I will probably need someone who can be fairly flexible. We will probably be purchasing a business and as of now I have no idea what kind of time commitment or hours I will be needed. I really won't know until I start doing it. 

Do nanny's typically do light housework ( beyond just cleaning up after themselves)?

Quoting alexsmomaubrys2:

I would rather have a nanny come into my home.

Firewoman33
by Silver Member on Jul. 8, 2013 at 6:58 PM

bump

slgilliam
by on Jul. 9, 2013 at 12:07 AM

I am so sorry to hear that! Hopefully you will find a great person for your little one.

I don't live in a big town so my options were limited. The center my daughter attended was new. All the workers there went to the local college and/or had degrees in teaching, childcare, etc. I did like it because I was able to pop in anytime to see my baby, feed her, rock her. I also got daily reports on what she did, how many wet diapers, how much she ate etc.... I am basically moving to home care because of the cost. I lucked out there. She will be going to a lady who's been in childcare for 20+ years. Even though she can keep more she only keeps 6-7 kids at one time. Out of the 6-7 kids she only keeps 2 babies at a time. 

Quoting Firewoman33:

I'm a little leary of home care since my personal experiences were so bad. However, I hear a lot of horror stories about centers as well. :(

I guess my best bet is going to interview and go with my gut. 

Quoting slgilliam:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)