Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

Daycare and feeding my baby

Posted by on Jul. 9, 2013 at 9:36 PM
  • 13 Replies

My daycare comments that my 11 month old is not eating.  I told them that is because she wants solids, and I had told them they can introduce solids to her.  Just make sure to cut it up.  

They said they can't give her solids until she is 1.  And then after that they can not give her solid food until she can take bites off of stuff.  Like they can't cut up her food.  Say they have hamburgers, they can't cut that up for her.  

So in other words my baby will go hungry because she is not old enough for solids according to them, then in 4 weeks when they are aloud to give her solids they won't because they can not cut it up.  

by on Jul. 9, 2013 at 9:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Its.Me.Mama
by on Jul. 9, 2013 at 9:45 PM
2 moms liked this

I was a toddler teacher 18mths-3yrs... we always cut up the kids foods.... did the director tell you this or are the infant teachers being lazy?  I have never in my 16 years in the Early Childhood field ever heard this happening .  Maybe its a state diff. issue but... (what state do you live in?)  I would tell them you need to feed my child or I will need to find another childcare... not feeding them is child neglect....

Mystres
by on Jul. 9, 2013 at 9:49 PM

I am in georgia, and I plan to talk to some one about it, and ask for the rules on paper.  I have searched the net and can not find this rule.  I have really liked this place until this

Whovian82
by on Jul. 9, 2013 at 10:12 PM
1 mom liked this

It's a companies policy set forth to cover them legally.  It's annoying for the individual however I understand why it exists. 

Dabberdoo
by Bronze Member on Jul. 9, 2013 at 10:15 PM
1 mom liked this
And you can't send appropriate food for your child?
iuangina
by on Jul. 9, 2013 at 10:16 PM
Never once had the daycare here in Georgia tell me that, so probably not a state isse. That doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. They have to feed the kids anyway. This sounds like you need to talk to the director and get the policy
Mystres
by on Jul. 9, 2013 at 10:22 PM

If I am remembering correctly, they allow no outside food, unless it is baby formula or you have a medical reAson and a doc note.  This is a chain daycare company.

i am gonna talk to them tomorrow.  And also look in to another daycare if needed.

Quoting Dabberdoo:

illinoismommy83
by on Jul. 9, 2013 at 10:23 PM
1 mom liked this

Send some pre-cut food for her.

If it comes down to it, have your doctor write a note saying she can have food from home that you send.

KeimUNCmomof3
by on Jul. 9, 2013 at 10:24 PM

Agreed!

Quoting Its.Me.Mama:

I was a toddler teacher 18mths-3yrs... we always cut up the kids foods.... did the director tell you this or are the infant teachers being lazy?  I have never in my 16 years in the Early Childhood field ever heard this happening .  Maybe its a state diff. issue but... (what state do you live in?)  I would tell them you need to feed my child or I will need to find another childcare... not feeding them is child neglect....

Its.Me.Mama
by on Jul. 9, 2013 at 10:38 PM

This is copied from Ga child care center regulations!  If they will not help your child eat in an appropriate way you need to contact some one from the state here is a link to all of the regulations that they are mandated by the state to follow.. http://www.decal.ga.gov/documents/attachments/CCLCRulesandRegulations.pdf

(e) Children shall be given necessary assistance in feeding and encouraged to develop good nutritional habits.

(c) As soon as the feeding plan indicates that a child is ready for solid foods, the child shall be fed from individual spoons and individual containers or dishes. A child shall not be fed directly from the original baby food container if the contents are to be fed to the child at more than one (1) meal or to more than one (1) child.

(d) As soon as the child exhibits a desire to feed him/herself, the child shall be assisted and encouraged to use their fingers for self-feeding, eat with a spoon, and to drink from individual cups

Dabberdoo
by Bronze Member on Jul. 9, 2013 at 10:56 PM

Quoting Mystres:

If I am remembering correctly, they allow no outside food, unless it is baby formula or you have a medical reAson and a doc note.  This is a chain daycare company.

i am gonna talk to them tomorrow.  And also look in to another daycare if needed.

Quoting Dabberdoo:

Nice.  That's REALLY unreasonable.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN