Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

Mothers and mother in laws.....

Posted by on Jul. 11, 2013 at 8:07 AM
  • 11 Replies

Morning everyone! 

Both of mine drive me crazy, my mom lives 3miles from me and my mil lives 15/20 mins the other way. Normally I see my mom more and about once or twice a month mil will come over for the day. Well yesterday I got both from 10:30am till 7:30pm. Together they like to compare my childhood and hubby childhood. Tells me which of our kids do something or sound like us when were kids. I always let in a ear and out, always telling my mom I was raised by wolves. Well our 12yr dd and 12yr fd was egging them on to tell them how I was as teenager and hubby too. My mom said  I was as wild as the wind and crazy speech. Tell them stories about times my mom and dad would get called to school. (Which is true I was very unruly)

Now hubby and I free and open to a point with the kids, I always tell them before doing something bad call me no matter what. And that I've done everything under the book or sun or boulder that they could be thinking of doing! So dd was checking for the truth behind my quote, my mom was going on, on about things I did as kid and my mil was doing the same with about hubby. Our 10 yr ds was getting mad about it and finally he yelled "stop talking about my mom and dad like that their not like that anymore and we know everything they did as kids, and if we would do any of those things we wouldn't see the light of day for years. You two just were as good as parents as they are!" I grab him before he could go on, and took him to another room and asked what's up bubba, he said he was tired of hearing the same old things from them and that since I never stop he was going too.. I smiled and said I don't like it too but your Grammie(mil) and Mimi(my mom) have be doing this since you were a baby, not to worry they have dry sense of humor. I told he knows better then to yell at someone older and that if he need to cool off in his room he may but he did need to apologize to them bfore they go home tonight. My kids are like a little gang ( not the best word to desrcibe them) if one does something they were group together and serve time. Even our 2 2yrs will follow in not long but. So just like that all the kids went off with ds. 

I went back to making lunch and mil and mom said their were sorry it they teasing was hurtful to me. My mom say she only does out shock because I'm a really good mom. I said I never like it but I understood why she does, I told them ds never told us it bother him. I call the kids out for lunch and ds ask for his in his room and to call his dad. So I got everyone else setter and brought ds his and the phone to call hubby. Stay with him while he talk to hubby, then I took the phone and talk to hubby. My hubby laugh and told me the ladies had it coming for yrs. so not to be hard on ds. Argh now u see who the soft one is. 

Around 2 ds came out and apologized for what he said, but not how he felt. lol my mom and mil accepted that and gave him a hug.

Then I made everyone go outside to swim or play in the back yard. Rest of nigh went fast with dinner and movies.

Hubby lucked out and only got to spend an hour or two with them. 

That was my Wednesday 

juggling

by on Jul. 11, 2013 at 8:07 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
saraewhite
by on Jul. 11, 2013 at 8:21 AM
2 moms liked this

Wow! What a good son you have! Standing up for you guys like that is really something, you should be proud of him!!!!

catevincesmom
by on Jul. 11, 2013 at 8:25 AM

My mom & stepdad like to do that to me, too.  lol.  But I know they do it w/ humor & love.  I think you did right by your son.  You should not yell @ others.  But, it did help you clear the air a little, so to speak.  :-) 

Firewoman33
by Silver Member on Jul. 11, 2013 at 8:53 AM

It's good for them to see how that affects the kids. I think too many people don't realize it hurts kids to hear people speak badly about their parents even if it's coming from a place of love. 

I agree with how you handled it, though. 

loveless82
by New Member on Jul. 11, 2013 at 9:21 AM
Hi,

Out of the mouth of babes!! Good for him. :) lov how your kids band together, that there show you a good parent!

:)
e-doolittle
by Kelly on Jul. 11, 2013 at 10:08 AM
Well said

Quoting saraewhite:

Wow! What a good son you have! Standing up for you guys like that is really something, you should be proud of him!!!!

TimetoMomUp
by on Jul. 11, 2013 at 11:26 AM

I don't think my Mom and MIL could be in the same room without a violent crime happening. 

KylesMom409
by Linnette on Jul. 11, 2013 at 11:54 AM
This! :)

Quoting saraewhite:

Musicknot07
by Member on Jul. 11, 2013 at 12:33 PM

Thanks all! We are very proud of all our kids, our ds has always been a little young man, but he is also that kid in class that doesn't allow someone to call someone else name or be pick on. He will get they to go do something else or tell jokes to change the subject. 

oscarsmom70
by on Jul. 11, 2013 at 2:08 PM

What an amazing young man you are raising!  

It made me think of a book called Preparing Him for the Other Woman by Sheri Rose Shepherd.  She talks about how important it is as mothers to raise our son's in a way that prepares them to be amazing husbands and fathers . . . sounds like your DS is well on his way!!

countrymomma81
by Platinum Member on Jul. 11, 2013 at 2:34 PM

My mom and MIL aren't like that at all. They talk, but they don't go out of their way to hang out. And neither of them tell stories about DH or I. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)