Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms
My daughter is 8 months old. She's still nursing and she still sleeps in my bed with me. Co-sleeping is starting to get extremely difficult now though because she is now crawling and climbing on everything. She constantly tries to climb over me and jump out of the bed. I feel like she needs to start sleeping in her crib for safety reasons at this point. I've tried repeatedly to put her down in her crib and she refuses to sleep there. As soon as I put her down she screams like she's in excruciating pain. I've tried letting her "cry it out", but I'm not strong enough to do it for more than 10 minutes. Even if I wait until she's in a deep sleep and then move her to her crib, it doesn't work. Some how her body senses that she's being put in her crib and she wakes up immediately and screams!! What can I do? Is it too late to get her to sleep in her crib?
by on Jul. 12, 2013 at 9:08 PM
Replies (11-20):
nurse1997
by Bronze Member on Jul. 13, 2013 at 3:25 PM

Well thats why co -sleeping is  never a good idea with babies they are not dummies have fun trying to get her to sleep in her crib !!!

12yrmama
by Bronze Member on Jul. 14, 2013 at 9:04 AM

This. Naptimes were easy to do, cause we have other kids and I couldn't be in bed with her anyway. Then we included her in the other kids bed routine... bath, book, milk (nurse), and bed (crib).

We stood and rubbed her back til she was asleep. We set a time  (11) she had to stay in the crib til then, so if she woke up we wouldn't pick up just rub her back again. Every few weeks we made the time limit later.

After a few months she was too restless for back rubbing so we transistioned to sitting by the crib, then out the door and on her own.

She's 19 mos we are just now laying her down and getting out. But I'm good with that because we gave her time to adjust and feel safe.

Quoting Nerys-Kianna:

I slowly transitioned my kids to their beds. First it was only nap times, then also sleep time. It worked but took a while. I stayed in the room til they were asleep and then left.

1sttimemama0531
by on Jul. 15, 2013 at 4:21 AM
How old was your baby when you started transitioning her?

Quoting 12yrmama:

This.
Naptimes were easy to do, cause we have other kids and I couldn't be in bed with her anyway. Then we included her in the other kids bed routine... bath, book, milk (nurse), and bed (crib).

We stood and rubbed her back til she was asleep. We set a time  (11) she had to stay in the crib til then, so if she woke up we wouldn't pick up just rub her back again. Every few weeks we made the time limit later.

After a few months she was too restless for back rubbing so we transistioned to sitting by the crib, then out the door and on her own.

She's 19 mos we are just now laying her down and getting out. But I'm good with that because we gave her time to adjust and feel safe.

Quoting Nerys-Kianna:

I slowly transitioned my kids to their beds. First it was only nap times, then also sleep time. It worked but took a while. I stayed in the room til they were asleep and then left.

jlm425
by on Jul. 15, 2013 at 5:39 AM
I'd start with nap times. Have you tries white noise machines? We have a lamb one in his crib with him. We also got him a soothie blanket that he loves.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
thriftymom35
by on Jul. 15, 2013 at 5:47 AM
1 mom liked this

My son slept in his crib from the start but I had to get him asleep first.  The first ten months of his life were hell.  He didn't go to bed until late, then woke up at two AM EVERY night.  Finally one day I couldn't cope and I laid him in the crib, walked out and he cried but then by the time I'd walked ten steps he stopped, and he never cried again???  But even if he had I would have let him cry because I couldn't do it anymore.   God must have known how close I was to snapping from the sleep deprivation.......

KylesMom409
by Linnette on Jul. 15, 2013 at 6:54 AM
Good idea.

Quoting alexsmomaubrys2:

What about putting him in pack in play next to the bed so he can still hear and see you?

12yrmama
by Bronze Member on Jul. 15, 2013 at 3:35 PM
Around nine months, because she would crawl out of bed without waking us! lol. Our bed was on the floor (and room was totally babyproof)so she wasn't in danger, it was just weird to wake up and see her crawling around the room.
Quoting 1sttimemama0531:

Quoting 12yrmama:

This.
Naptimes were easy to do, cause we have other kids and I couldn't be in bed with her anyway. Then we included her in the other kids bed routine... bath, book, milk (nurse), and bed (crib).

Quoting Nerys-Kianna:

12yrmama
by Bronze Member on Jul. 15, 2013 at 3:38 PM

Also, when you're ready to sit by the crib (no back rubbing) buy a book-light so you can read while sitting there, in the quiet, and in the dark. Otherwise you fall aleep and wake up an hour later with huge back pain. 

Quoting 12yrmama:

Around nine months, because she would crawl out of bed without waking us! lol. Our bed was on the floor (and room was totally babyproof)so she wasn't in danger, it was just weird to wake up and see her crawling around the room.
Quoting 1sttimemama0531:

Quoting 12yrmama:

This.

Quoting Nerys-Kianna:

Jinxed8
by Gold Member on Jul. 15, 2013 at 3:43 PM

She doesn't hate her crib she's just used to sleeping with you.  It's your choice.  Personally co-sleep is not something I was interested in.  DD was like that too, because although she didn't sleep with me in the bed, sometimes I would breast feed her in bed and/or she always fell asleep on me then I would put her in her crib.  My saving grace was wrapping her in the shirt that I was wearing ; she'd have the scent and the warmth and then yes eventually let her cry some.  If you give them an inch they'll take a mile, hell, DD would still sleep with me today if I let her and she's 9 years old.  She tried last night ...

12yrmama
by Bronze Member on Jul. 15, 2013 at 3:43 PM
1 mom liked this
Sorry, for ANOUTHER post, but I remember one more idea... if she nurses before sleep try holding her in a thick blanket (knit ones are best) and then the transition to the crib isn't so noticeable. I would make a wrinkle in the blanket were my arm was under her neck/head and she wouldn't notice when my arm slid out and she was in the crib! Worked even in summer cause I didn't wrap her in it.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)