Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms
My daughter is 8 months old. She's still nursing and she still sleeps in my bed with me. Co-sleeping is starting to get extremely difficult now though because she is now crawling and climbing on everything. She constantly tries to climb over me and jump out of the bed. I feel like she needs to start sleeping in her crib for safety reasons at this point. I've tried repeatedly to put her down in her crib and she refuses to sleep there. As soon as I put her down she screams like she's in excruciating pain. I've tried letting her "cry it out", but I'm not strong enough to do it for more than 10 minutes. Even if I wait until she's in a deep sleep and then move her to her crib, it doesn't work. Some how her body senses that she's being put in her crib and she wakes up immediately and screams!! What can I do? Is it too late to get her to sleep in her crib?
by on Jul. 12, 2013 at 9:08 PM
Replies (21-28):
1sttimemama0531
by Member on Jul. 15, 2013 at 8:21 PM
That is such a great idea!! Thank you!

Quoting 12yrmama:

Sorry, for ANOUTHER post, but I remember one more idea... if she nurses before sleep try holding her in a thick blanket (knit ones are best) and then the transition to the crib isn't so noticeable. I would make a wrinkle in the blanket were my arm was under her neck/head and she wouldn't notice when my arm slid out and she was in the crib! Worked even in summer cause I didn't wrap her in it.

merryvoice
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 11:40 PM
I had exactly the same issue. My husband put my pillow in her crib one night and it worked almost immediately. We took it out once she was asleep but we would put it in every night, and each night got easier and easier. Now she sleeps with her favorite blanket and all is well.
1sttimemama0531
by Member on Jul. 17, 2013 at 8:20 AM
That's an interesting idea...I'll have to give it a try. Thanks!

Quoting merryvoice:

I had exactly the same issue. My husband put my pillow in her crib one night and it worked almost immediately. We took it out once she was asleep but we would put it in every night, and each night got easier and easier. Now she sleeps with her favorite blanket and all is well.

1sttimemama0531
by Member on Jul. 17, 2013 at 8:23 AM
Wow - you must have been exhausted!! I like that you gave her so much time to adjust. Nice work mama!

Quoting 12yrmama:

This.
Naptimes were easy to do, cause we have other kids and I couldn't be in bed with her anyway. Then we included her in the other kids bed routine... bath, book, milk (nurse), and bed (crib).

We stood and rubbed her back til she was asleep. We set a time  (11) she had to stay in the crib til then, so if she woke up we wouldn't pick up just rub her back again. Every few weeks we made the time limit later.

After a few months she was too restless for back rubbing so we transistioned to sitting by the crib, then out the door and on her own.

She's 19 mos we are just now laying her down and getting out. But I'm good with that because we gave her time to adjust and feel safe.

Quoting Nerys-Kianna:

I slowly transitioned my kids to their beds. First it was only nap times, then also sleep time. It worked but took a while. I stayed in the room til they were asleep and then left.

Rbrown72707
by on Jul. 17, 2013 at 8:23 AM

Maybe it's the change in temperature from a warm bed to a cool one.  Try putting a heating pad on her bed before you put her in it.  THen, her bed will be warm.   (I say as my dd snores in my bed next to me).  :)

1sttimemama0531
by Member on Jul. 17, 2013 at 8:24 AM
Hilarious!! :)

Quoting Jinxed8:

She doesn't hate her crib she's just used to sleeping with you.  It's your choice.  Personally co-sleep is not something I was interested in.  DD was like that too, because although she didn't sleep with me in the bed, sometimes I would breast feed her in bed and/or she always fell asleep on me then I would put her in her crib.  My saving grace was wrapping her in the shirt that I was wearing ; she'd have the scent and the warmth and then yes eventually let her cry some.  If you give them an inch they'll take a mile, hell, DD would still sleep with me today if I let her and she's 9 years old.  She tried last night ...

1sttimemama0531
by Member on Jul. 17, 2013 at 8:25 AM
Lol! Thanks, I hadn't even considered the bed temperature.

Quoting Rbrown72707:

Maybe it's the change in temperature from a warm bed to a cool one.  Try putting a heating pad on her bed before you put her in it.  THen, her bed will be warm.   (I say as my dd snores in my bed next to me).  :)

Tammywhynot
by on Jul. 17, 2013 at 8:10 PM
Forget the crib, both my girls was the same, bought a little junior bed, put it next to mine. I used to lie on my bed while she was in hers just holding her hand. If she doesnt like that let her go to sleep in ur bed, then move her into junior bed so she wakes up there. After a week she will get used to it. Dont try and move her soon as shes asleep she will only wake up and kick off

Quoting 1sttimemama0531:

My daughter is 8 months old. She's still nursing and she still sleeps in my bed with me. Co-sleeping is starting to get extremely difficult now though because she is now crawling and climbing on everything. She constantly tries to climb over me and jump out of the bed. I feel like she needs to start sleeping in her crib for safety reasons at this point. I've tried repeatedly to put her down in her crib and she refuses to sleep there. As soon as I put her down she screams like she's in excruciating pain. I've tried letting her "cry it out", but I'm not strong enough to do it for more than 10 minutes. Even if I wait until she's in a deep sleep and then move her to her crib, it doesn't work. Some how her body senses that she's being put in her crib and she wakes up immediately and screams!! What can I do? Is it too late to get her to sleep in her crib?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)