Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Contemplating adoption.....

Posted by on Jul. 14, 2013 at 6:12 PM
  • 17 Replies

Any mom's out there whom have adopted any of their children? It keeps riding in the back of my mind....I have yet to bring it up to my husband but instead of having another baby I want to adopt!? I know there is a process in doing so and wanted to hear any experiences that you mom's have had and what it is like to be an adoptive parent!? Thanks!

by on Jul. 14, 2013 at 6:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
diaperstodating
by Angel on Jul. 14, 2013 at 8:05 PM

giving mom gift

No. Bump

diaperstodating
by Angel on Jul. 14, 2013 at 8:06 PM

welcome to cafemom

Welcome to the group!

Elyssa414
by Member on Jul. 14, 2013 at 8:12 PM
I adopted my first. I became his Mommy when he was 6 months old, (he is my husband's biological son and birth mom was never around). I had two biological children later, and there is NO difference. He is, and always will be my first born son. He is a total mama's boy, and I love him with every fiber of my being! He also drives me as crazy as the rest of them.

I also have a foster son, and I can tell you that it really has been different. We did not go into this wanting to adopt, it was supposed to be an emergency placement for one week- now it's 8 months later and they are asking if we will adopt him.... My DH is all in, but I still have a few reservations.... Anyways, it's been a wild journey! :)
mcginnisc
by Bronze Member on Jul. 14, 2013 at 8:48 PM
My oldest daughter is adopted from China. She has been home for 6 years and will be 8 in November. My youngest is biological and was a surprise. There is no difference in my love for them.
As far as process goes: you have to decide which route you will follow. It will depend on what steps you take next. If you decide on foster to adopt, you have to have background checks and most likely take classes. Some states require you to be fully licensed before adoption can happen. If you decide on domestic infant, you will either need an attorney or agency. International will require an agency.
Every route has different requirements so the best thing you can do is do your research about them all.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KylesMom409
by Linnette on Jul. 14, 2013 at 9:11 PM
Bump!
AJ-47
by on Jul. 14, 2013 at 9:22 PM
I want to adopt..but apparently it's super expensive and that's enough for hubs to say no. Sigh. Best of luck to you.
mumsy2three
by Shauna on Jul. 14, 2013 at 9:50 PM

No~ but good luck if you decide to adopt :)

Elyssa414
by Member on Jul. 14, 2013 at 9:51 PM
1 mom liked this
Not if you go through foster care! And there are so many kids needing per meant homes

Quoting AJ-47:

I want to adopt..but apparently it's super expensive and that's enough for hubs to say no. Sigh. Best of luck to you.
Elyssa414
by Member on Jul. 14, 2013 at 9:51 PM
Not if you go through foster care! And there are so many kids needing permanent homes.

Quoting AJ-47:

AJ-47
by on Jul. 14, 2013 at 10:00 PM
2 moms liked this
I do want to do fostering, at least, as I was in foster care and I would love to give a child/children the opposite of the foster homes I had..I'll look into the foster to adoption thing, thank you!

Quoting Elyssa414:

Not if you go through foster care! And there are so many kids needing permanent homes.

Quoting AJ-47:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)