Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Son is terrified of the dark! Help!!

Posted by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 12:15 PM
  • 18 Replies
1 mom liked this
My sweet boy who is 8 has become afraid of the dark. If a room is dark he won't go into it even to turn the light on. He insists on sleeping with his bed side lamp on, however I go in and turn it off because I read that even a small light on while sleeping can cause your body to not produce enough melatonin.....so he's been waking up at 2 and 3 AM, calling me into his room and it takes forever for him to fall back asleep. He has a dream lite but it seems not enough. He had autism and adhd. I'm about to give birth and worried about this issue. Any advice???
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 12:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
thriftymom35
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 12:16 PM
He has, not had, autism and adhd
LivinDeadGurl
by Maranda on Jul. 18, 2013 at 6:48 PM

I am currently going through this with one of my children. I have no suggestions for you.

Snakecharm
by Member on Jul. 18, 2013 at 7:53 PM
Maybe give him a small mag light?
HeathersRich
by on Jul. 18, 2013 at 7:56 PM
1 mom liked this

My 3 year old has this issue. Get him a flash light or by him one of those flashlight pets. I think my daughter will be getting one for Christmas this year. :) 

IQuitCounting
by on Jul. 18, 2013 at 8:04 PM

Have you tried giving him a flashlight next to his bed, or glow sticks?  Or a low light night light?  Also, if he's young enough to fall for it, something like a "magic" totem.  For example my son was given a ring that has a big eye on it, and told it would keep an eye out for monsters while he slept.  He's just shy of five though, so a bit younger than yours.

Knightquester
by on Jul. 18, 2013 at 9:05 PM
1 mom liked this

They create night lights that can produce a lot of light, my son has two.  One of them lights up a huge planet on his ceiling for him to look at.  Some light in his room won't damage or harm him, but no light at all to the point of causing him to lose sleep or have night terrors might.

12yrmama
by on Jul. 18, 2013 at 9:10 PM

Flashlight for his pocket- or on a necklace, tap lights for his room or twinkle lights with the switch on the cord (so he can reach a do it himself when he wakes up). Do practice runs with him of wear the lights are and how to use his flashlight to find the lightswitch. Practice runs really work for my kids.

Also mine sleep with the hall light on and their doors cracked open.. I don't think its too much for them to sleep soundly. Then they can find the way to the bathroom and us.

KylesMom409
by Linnette on Jul. 18, 2013 at 10:41 PM
Bump!
N.Carter2001
by on Jul. 18, 2013 at 10:58 PM
My son is 5 years old. He is scared of the dark. He has to have the light on. I turn it off when he is asleep. Sometimes he will get up later and turn it back on. Or he will sleep all night. He also has autism.
thriftymom35
by on Jul. 19, 2013 at 7:14 AM
What does bump mean? Sorry i know that's probably a silly question .....I'm not a cafe mom veteran....

Quoting KylesMom409:

Bump!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)