Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Low income and animals

Posted by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 8:47 PM
  • 54 Replies
Ok forgive me, I'm about to do a little bashing here. If that bothers you, you might want to back out now.....
There are these people I know. They have three children. The dad works full time, makes ok money but they are pretty low income. The mother does not work, the kids are all school age. They have awful awful spending habits. Any extra money they get is gone in a flash, no savings or budget whatsoever. They have three dogs already and idk how many cats.
The mom is always posting on Fb about such and such stray dog she picked up. Like literally once a week. She kept three and some ran away and some idk what happened to them. Same with cats. Fine and dandy if you want to rescue animals......but these people can't even afford to feed their children!!!! She came to a friend of mine recently asking if their church could provide them food because they didn't have any money to eat with!
This is not the only family I've seen this pattern with. In this area it seems the more low income you are, the more animals you take in for whatever stupid reason when you can't even afford to feed the humans in your house!! And most of these places are nasty, smelly, full of hair, just gross. I don't get it. What's the connection? Lower the income....the more animals they find. Thoughts??
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 8:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
diaperstodating
by Queen25Princes on Jul. 16, 2013 at 8:52 PM
1 mom liked this

puppy

I don't know any families like the ones you described. I know that if I couldn't afford to feed my children I wouldn't be picking up any stray animals.

Stephd710
by Bronze Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 8:54 PM
I live in the Midwest. It's a serious epidemic.

Quoting diaperstodating:

puppy

I don't know any families like the ones you described. I know that if I couldn't afford to feed my children I wouldn't be picking up any stray animals.

esox
by Bronze Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 8:54 PM
3 moms liked this
Maybe they plan to eat the strays if things get to tight?
Stephd710
by Bronze Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 8:55 PM
Lmao!!

Quoting esox:

godsgirl26
by ♥Charmaine♥ on Jul. 16, 2013 at 8:56 PM
I know a family just like this. Ugh I don't understand her mindset to be honest.
sdgd21
by Diana on Jul. 16, 2013 at 9:02 PM
Lmbo! That's what I thought. But maybe she just has a heart for dogs. Perhaps a childhood thing. Plus they give a lot of love, so maybe in poverty it's what keeps you going? Idk I don't know anyone like that, but that's what I'd figure.

Quoting esox:

lesh1013
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 9:13 PM
That's a good thought! Dogs always show love, and strays even more so. And since her kids are school age & she sits at home all day. she has nothing to occupy her time. But as the ADULT you have to decide when enough is enough. Food on ur table for the human family or food for your 4 legged kids.

Quoting sdgd21:

Lmbo! That's what I thought. But maybe she just has a heart for dogs. Perhaps a childhood thing. Plus they give a lot of love, so maybe in poverty it's what keeps you going? Idk I don't know anyone like that, but that's what I'd figure.

Quoting esox:

Stephd710
by Bronze Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 9:15 PM
Yeah I get that. But still, if you want to properly care for them, how about get a job so she is financially able to? She is capable to work, I don't know why she doesn't.

Quoting lesh1013:

That's a good thought! Dogs always show love, and strays even more so. And since her kids are school age & she sits at home all day. she has nothing to occupy her time. But as the ADULT you have to decide when enough is enough. Food on ur table for the human family or food for your 4 legged kids.

Quoting sdgd21:

Quoting esox:

JeremysMom
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 9:22 PM
1 mom liked this
This. I actually work with poverty stricken families. It's hard to explain why people do the things that they do unless we have actually been in that situation and even then we don't all have the same backgrounds or experiences. What may be common sense to us because our parents taught us right from wrong may not even cross other's thoughts because they weren't taught those things growing up. I see a lot of this with generational poverty.

Quoting sdgd21:

Quoting esox:

.Peaches.
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 9:44 PM
3 moms liked this

I guess my question would be how do you know all this about the family you're talking about, and how do you know this to be true of other families as well?

I don't know any families on the lower end of the poverty scale that have one animal, much less multiple ones.

What if they have an animal hoarding problem or other psychological issues, which are exclusive to low-income people or families? I mean, it seems to me you're taking one or two families and trying to apply that problem across the board- its an unfair and untrue generalized blanket statement.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)