Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Birthday Parties 1 day apart

Posted by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 9:35 PM
  • 9 Replies

Hey ladies! My oldest son will be 5 this year and the baby will be 1.  They were born a day apart.  I would like for them to have separate parties - and yes, the baby needs a party because it's his first and that's a big deal in the Korean culture, so I'd like to honor that tradition. I have a rough idea of how I'll handle this, but have some of you had a similar situation and found creative ways to celebrate birthday's?

by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 9:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
by Queen25Princes on Jul. 16, 2013 at 9:42 PM

birthday sweetpea        bump

by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 9:44 PM

My kids have b-days just under 2 weeks apart and have always shared a party.

So I don't know what to tell you.

We didn't do big parties for their 1st birthday, just a family dinner and cake.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickersAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 11:27 PM

My two older daughters' birthdays are 4 days sons' birthdays are on the same day (born one year apart) -- the girls and the boys have shared birthday parties (one in Oct, one in Aug) with family since birth.  They don't have kid parties until they are older, in school, and have their own real friends -- those parties are always at a different time, and they each get their own.

by on Jul. 17, 2013 at 12:33 AM

My niece and nephew's birthdays are 11 days apart and they have always shared their birthday parties.

by on Jul. 17, 2013 at 8:57 AM

Do them 2 weekends in a row. That way they are spaced a little and your 1 year old can have his own first birthday party. After this year do them together. It will save your sanity. Me and my brother always share a birthday and we are now in our 30's.

by Bronze Member on Jul. 17, 2013 at 9:00 AM

I have 3 kids with birthday's within a month period.  We pick a date somewhere in the middle of all of them and celebrate them all together.

Sometimes we celebrate just the girls, and let our boy have his own, but it's just easier for everyone to combine them.  My kids have no issues with it.

We don't do big one year parties though, it's for family and close friends only.   

by on Jul. 18, 2013 at 9:27 AM

Thanks for the tips This is the direction I was planning on taking the party thing. (I'm in agreement with you all.) Do you all open presents at the party?

by Ruby Member on Jul. 18, 2013 at 9:41 AM

We always do parties too, even for their 1st. I find it odd not to. But I wouldn't do separate parties either. Even if I had twins (I don't) I'd make sure they had separate parties. That one or two hours is meant to be focused on the birthday child. That's their moment. 

Either do them on the same day and a few hours apart, like one 1:00-2:00 and the other 2:30-3:30. Or if people don't have to travel too far, do one on Saturday and the other on Sunday. Or do them on totally separate weekends. 

by on Jul. 18, 2013 at 9:59 AM

Yes.  My kids' birthdays are 4 days apart.  My son will be 6 and my daughter will be 4.  I had separate birthday parties when my son turned 3 and daughter turned 1.  We had my son's party the weekend before he turned 3 and daughter the weekend after her birthday.  It was very stressful, but worth it.  Now, we just combine their birthday parties.  I figured once they start having their own friends as they get older, we will let them celebrate with them.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)