Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

Rabbits or cats?

Posted by on Jul. 22, 2013 at 10:27 AM
  • 34 Replies

We just got settled in our new house and its time for a cuddly pet.

We have always had cats, but I would love a rabbit hutch over the garden... and would love to keep the poop outside lol. Our cats have, and would be, inside cats (to keep down illness/bugs/safety). I also don't really want the cats to scratch up my furniture, again.

If you've had rabbits do you reccomend them? What hints do you have?

by on Jul. 22, 2013 at 10:27 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
catevincesmom
by on Jul. 22, 2013 at 10:36 AM

We have three rabbits, but we keep 'em inside 'cause we don't wanna worry about weather, predators, etc. . . We love 'em, but they are prey animals & therefore very timid.  We try to let 'em out to play in the house. They are only partly litter trained,& they can cause damage, so we limit where they can play.We had a cat b/4 the rabbits.  I can't say which is easier to take care of.  Both can be alotta fun.  I don't know what questions you may have-any questions, let me know & I'll try to answer 'em if I can.  I'm not an expert.  Good luck. 

Pukalani79
by Kris on Jul. 22, 2013 at 11:45 AM

We had a rabbit and unless I could keep them outside, I wouldn't do it again.  They chew and chew and we ended up with a large hole in the carpet.

12yrmama
by Bronze Member on Jul. 22, 2013 at 1:13 PM

We are thinking a hutch outside over the garden and anouther cage/hutch in the garage for bad weather.

Did they like to be held? What breed did you have?

Quoting catevincesmom:

We have three rabbits, but we keep 'em inside 'cause we don't wanna worry about weather, predators, etc. . . We love 'em, but they are prey animals & therefore very timid.  We try to let 'em out to play in the house. They are only partly litter trained,& they can cause damage, so we limit where they can play.We had a cat b/4 the rabbits.  I can't say which is easier to take care of.  Both can be alotta fun.  I don't know what questions you may have-any questions, let me know & I'll try to answer 'em if I can.  I'm not an expert.  Good luck. 

catevincesmom
by on Jul. 22, 2013 at 1:20 PM

One of 'em loves to be held.   The other ones, not so much.  They don't mind petted, though.  We have one New Zealand, & the other two are mixed breeds fr the pet store.  One looks like it was bred w/ the wild rabbits outside.  lol

Quoting 12yrmama:

We are thinking a hutch outside over the garden and anouther cage/hutch in the garage for bad weather.

Did they like to be held? What breed did you have?

Quoting catevincesmom:

mumsy2three
by Shauna on Jul. 22, 2013 at 1:22 PM

I think both are good pets~ we have both as pets. Having rabbits for pets takes a bit more work than cats do, imo.

Our  19 y/o dd has 4 male rabbits. They are indoors and she does all of the care taking. She took an animal care class her senior year in HS and that is what started her bunny obsession, lol. I am not an expert but there are many online sites to visit for info. All of her rabbits have such different personalities~ it's funny.

We have a vet office nearby that has a couple of knowledgeable rabbit vets. Three of our 4 rabbits have been neutered, so they don't spray. The 4th will be neutered soon, have to wait til he's old enough. We take them for yearly health check ups (to keep an eye on teeth, claws, etc) but they don't require shots.

They get fresh hay and water daily, eat plain rabbit pellets and get a cup of fresh veggies sometimes a fruit mixed in daily. They have little salt licks and chew sticks in their cages as well.

They are kept in indoor cages that have bottoms that catches the waste, she uses horse pellet bedding in the bottom pan to soak up the urine. My dd cleans them weekly. They are never really stinky, just need to be cleaned to be sanitary.

They all have social time out with the family, we let them run around the house when we are there. Just make sure to rabbit proof, especially electrical cords and wires.

Feel free to contact me with questions :)

.Peaches.
by on Jul. 22, 2013 at 1:52 PM

I had a pet rabbit in high school and loved her to pieces....I was devastated when she died.

Mine was an indoor rabbit, but I took her outside sometimes to get some fresh air and so she could munch on things- I would sit under a large tree and read while she just stretched out in the grass and relaxed. I think she thought she was human.

Rabbits are very much like other animals, in that they all have their own personalities. Mine loved interaction, to be touched and petted, and she even slept with me. Anytime she had to use the bathroom, she'd run back to her cage, so I didn't deal with accidents (it wasn't like that in the beginning though...there were accidents). My sister got a rabbit, thinking it was going to be like mine, and it was totally different- she hated that thing lol. She finally ended up giving him to a friend.

Knightquester
by Silver Member on Jul. 22, 2013 at 1:57 PM

I have a rabbit but he's indoors and trained to only go poop/pee in his hutch.  He sometimes will roam the house and his hutch has a ramp he can go in/out of for food, water or potty.  I really enjoy him, he knows how to play fetch, and when he's laying in my arms he falls asleep almost every time.

Knightquester
by Silver Member on Jul. 22, 2013 at 1:58 PM

I also have cats, they are also indoors.  One of them is older and de-clawed (no need for claws if she's indoors only), and the younger one is a kitten (we may get de-clawed... still undecided) who so far hasn't clawed up anything so if she continues not to then we will let her keep her claws.  Our indoor cats are well behaved, and sweeties.

gsmom9
by Member on Jul. 22, 2013 at 2:03 PM

we have a mini dutch lop inside. my bathroom is huge and has tile, so its easy to clean. i let him out of the cage everyday to excercise and socialize. you shouldnt leave them without watching them carefully and childproofing the wires. they are chewers. only put 2 sisters in a cage together as to avoid fighting and other problems. you can get bunny harnesses too for taking them outdoors. everybunnys different, but i was instructed that boys are are more laid back than girls, and the dutch lop was one of the calmer breeds. good luck 

Jinxed8
by Gold Member on Jul. 22, 2013 at 2:26 PM

I've never had pet rabbits - my grand mother used to have a rabbit hutch in her garden.  But I do have cats .. I will pick cats over rabbits, just because cats are so interractive, cuddly etc

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)