Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

at the park???

Posted by on Jul. 23, 2013 at 1:30 PM
  • 40 Replies

Mobile Photo

Since taking the kids (3 & 5) to the park last weekend I've been thinking about something.... while at the park i noticed i was only one of 2 parents who stuck by the kids as they were playing, taking pics, making sure they behave etc. most patents were under the pavilion or sitting on benches on their cell phones or talking with other adults. My kids didn't seem to mind me following them around but i did wonder what is the norm? How many of you ladies stick by your kids while they play at the park? Am i being over protective?
I just saw something on the news about a man who used a puppy to lure kids over to his car & ended up kidnapping several before being caught....
I never thought of myself as a "helicopter" parent, but....maybe i am....
by on Jul. 23, 2013 at 1:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
EmilyG10
by Member on Jul. 23, 2013 at 1:50 PM

I stick to my son, my dh thinks I'm a helicopter parent (I hover around him) but He's very clumsy and is always wanting to what other bigger kids do so I worry.

Marimaru
by Bronze Member on Jul. 23, 2013 at 2:09 PM

I'm always hovering when I take Isabelle to the park.  None of the other parents do, and a lot of the other kids don't play very safe at the park, so I have to make sure that Isabelle isn't standing at the bottom of a slide about to be kicked because the next kid won't wait until she moves.  Or when I have to decide we're just going home because the older kids are jumping and rough housing on all of the equipment.

momofsunshine77
by Member on Jul. 23, 2013 at 2:14 PM
1 mom liked this

I am just watching.  They know where I am and come get me if they want to swing or need a drink or eat.  As long as they are in sight, I am good and will make phone calls or talk to other moms, etc.  They are       2 1/2 and 4

IQuitCounting
by Bronze Member on Jul. 23, 2013 at 2:24 PM
2 moms liked this

I followed my son around when he was little, but he's almost five now.  As long as I can see him from where I'm sitting, I'm sitting.  He use to bug me about coming and playing with him (last summer) and I told him no, he needs to go make friends.  I told him to just go ask someone if they want to play, if they want to be his friend.  He needs to learn to be independent outside of me, and being an only, he has a tendency to cling.  He understands not to talk to adult strangers, tricky people, and again, he's where I can see him.  And he knows NOT to leave the playground, at all, without me, period.  I can't follow him around all the time, wrap him in bubble wrap, see every potential danger.  I have to trust that I'm raising him to be out there, safe, without me.  If I just do all of that for him, like keeping an eye out for danger, he'll never learn to do it for himself, so when I can't be around at all, if he's at school, or camp or something, he's not diligent.

Keep an eye on your kids, of course, but also take those opportunities to give them a little freedom and allow them to practise the skills you are hopefully teaching them that will help keep them safe.  But you're close by just in case.

Jinxed8
by Gold Member on Jul. 23, 2013 at 2:34 PM

I always go with her to the park and she's 9.  I'm always close by,  sometimes I'll bring a book but she's aways within my sight.  Only a handfull of times I've let her go to the park with a friend by herself.  Only if it's okay with the other parent and Because DH has called me a helicopter parent too ... he said she's old enough. 

extremelibrary
by Member on Jul. 23, 2013 at 2:44 PM
I do with my 2 year old. My 6 and 13 year old play with others. I make sure I can see them.
hockey21
by on Jul. 23, 2013 at 2:57 PM

when I take my 2yr old to the local park, she has a 'mommmy device' somewhere on her clothing, I have mine at my wrist...when she goes off boundry  it  beeps, and I am able to locate her...most of the time she is nearby me as I have all her 'stuff'..etc  dolly   stroller.  ...she's pretty good

Pazamia
by on Jul. 23, 2013 at 3:12 PM

I just don't take my sight away from them, while sitting near by. 

isaacsmommy68
by Member on Jul. 23, 2013 at 3:46 PM

I always stay close by. Too many times there have been men at the park with no kids playing with the kids. I like to give the evil eye to them and keep my kid away. We live in a nice neighborhood too. I just don't trust any one anymore.

countrymomma81
by Platinum Member on Jul. 23, 2013 at 3:49 PM

The park we go to is so small that I can see my kids no matter where they are and no matter where I am. I usually find a spot to sit and let them play. They are 6 and 10 and really don't want me around unless I'm pushing them on the swing. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)