Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Are all little girls like this?

Posted by on Jul. 23, 2013 at 6:14 PM
  • 33 Replies

My daughter is 4 1/2. She has been a challenge since she was born. It seems like she came out crying and never stopped. She whines about everything and won't use her words when she is upset. She has rocked herself ever since she has been able to sit up by herself and she still does it. I figured it was a soothing mechanism or something but she still does it. 

She whines when she doesn't get her way, she whines when she can't do something and she whines when she tries to put on clothes and it gets stuck or something.

Are all little girls like this? Do they ever grow out of it?

by on Jul. 23, 2013 at 6:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SallyB_LMT
by Bronze Member on Jul. 23, 2013 at 6:34 PM

My daughter has never done any of those things.  My 2nd son however whines terribly when he doesn't get his way and he will become nonverbal when frustrated.  He's very smart, but when he is upset at school he will cry and whine and refuse to talk to the teacher, he's going into the 2nd grade.  It's very frustrating for me too, because I don't know how to help him.  So, to answer your question...no, it's not a girl thing.  It's a child thing and I hope they grow out of it!!  My son has matured a lot over this school year, but he still has tantrums occasionally.  Hopefully next year will be easier for him emotionally, he had to deal with some bullies this year teasing him about being a baby because he cried easily.  :(  It was a rough time for him and we didn't have that issue the year before; so I wonder if it was the length of the school day or something that made it more difficult for him.

saraewhite
by on Jul. 23, 2013 at 6:48 PM

My daughter is the second child. When she was in the 3 year old head start program last year she did wonderfully. Never really whined or cried and almost complelty stopped rocking while there.

I know she is extremly sensitive andher feelings get hurt very easily so maybe that is it?

Quoting SallyB_LMT:

My daughter has never done any of those things.  My 2nd son however whines terribly when he doesn't get his way and he will become nonverbal when frustrated.  He's very smart, but when he is upset at school he will cry and whine and refuse to talk to the teacher, he's going into the 2nd grade.  It's very frustrating for me too, because I don't know how to help him.  So, to answer your question...no, it's not a girl thing.  It's a child thing and I hope they grow out of it!!  My son has matured a lot over this school year, but he still has tantrums occasionally.  Hopefully next year will be easier for him emotionally, he had to deal with some bullies this year teasing him about being a baby because he cried easily.  :(  It was a rough time for him and we didn't have that issue the year before; so I wonder if it was the length of the school day or something that made it more difficult for him.

KendallsMommee
by Chrissy on Jul. 23, 2013 at 6:54 PM
1 mom liked this
My dd is 6 and sounds just like yours. She's always been a whiner and crier. She doesn't do it at school (thank GOD) but at home, it's sun up to sun down. I've actually had panic attacks it gets so bad. Nothing I've tried helps.

I'm waiting for the day she grows out of it.

Sigh.
saraewhite
by on Jul. 23, 2013 at 6:55 PM
1 mom liked this

Yikes! Well you let me know when it stops, maybe I will have somethingto look forward to, lol! j/k

Quoting KendallsMommee:

My dd is 6 and sounds just like yours. She's always been a whiner and crier. She doesn't do it at school (thank GOD) but at home, it's sun up to sun down. I've actually had panic attacks it gets so bad. Nothing I've tried helps.

I'm waiting for the day she grows out of it.

Sigh.

hockey21
by on Jul. 23, 2013 at 8:54 PM

my daughter is 2, she will 'whine' more when her dad is away...I  ignore her  and she gives in and will calm down and either do something or ask to help me....I am not sure how to answer but good luck

.Peaches.
by Bronze Member on Jul. 23, 2013 at 10:28 PM

Every little girl has their own personality- most of them start to 'even out' by the time they are 5, 5 1/2. Some take a little longer than others.

My oldest girl is super sensitive, to the point of me wanting to tear my hair out sometimes, but that's just her. My middle dd is tougher, more vocal than my oldest, but still has her moments. My youngest dd is actually the toughest of them all, but if you tell her no, is prone to being reduced to a puddle in the floor, kicking and screaming like you're killing her. She's 3 and sounds exactly like your 4 year old. In short, I'd say, yes, its normal and probably a little of her personality that's not going to completely disappear.

The rocking thing doesn't sound like an issue in and of itself- I jiggle my foot when I sit still. So does my father and my sister. My oldest dd has been a thumb-sucker forever- at 7, she still is (not nearly as much though, mostly when she's tired or doesn't feel well).

countrymomma81
by Platinum Member on Jul. 23, 2013 at 10:41 PM

Mine is. She's 6 and still does it. I called it when I was pregnant though. I told everyone she'd come out big (she was 10lbs, 8.2 oz and 21.5 long), dark (she looked like a Mexican or Native American with her dark skin and black hair) and never happy (yep, got that right too). 

I think it has something to do with her not sleeping well. She wakes up around 8:00 during the summer and she's happy until about 10:00, then she's tired and back to whining and complaining. Unless the focus is on her (and sometimes even when it is) she's not happy. I talked to her pedi this past Friday about it and he suggested that we do a sleep study on her. He also said to cut out 95% of caffeine and sugar and use a very dim nightlight (no tv at all on while she's sleeping) to see if this helps. If not the next step is to have her tested for ADD, ADHD in addition to changing her diet. 

storkradio193
by Silver Member on Jul. 23, 2013 at 10:44 PM

I have a 2 year old and an almost 4 year old and both whine plenty.  They seem to feed off of each other making for many long days.

http://www.cafemom.com/home/storkradio193

saraewhite
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 7:57 AM

My son is 7 and she is 4 1/2 and the feed off of each other so much sometimes it hurts, lol! Counting down the days till school starts!

Quoting storkradio193:

I have a 2 year old and an almost 4 year old and both whine plenty.  They seem to feed off of each other making for many long days.

saraewhite
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 7:59 AM

Wow! She sleeps till 8? I wish mine did, she is usually up before 7 but she is in bed between 8-8:30 most nights.

Quoting countrymomma81:

Mine is. She's 6 and still does it. I called it when I was pregnant though. I told everyone she'd come out big (she was 10lbs, 8.2 oz and 21.5 long), dark (she looked like a Mexican or Native American with her dark skin and black hair) and never happy (yep, got that right too). 

I think it has something to do with her not sleeping well. She wakes up around 8:00 during the summer and she's happy until about 10:00, then she's tired and back to whining and complaining. Unless the focus is on her (and sometimes even when it is) she's not happy. I talked to her pedi this past Friday about it and he suggested that we do a sleep study on her. He also said to cut out 95% of caffeine and sugar and use a very dim nightlight (no tv at all on while she's sleeping) to see if this helps. If not the next step is to have her tested for ADD, ADHD in addition to changing her diet. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)