Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

Frightened to go back to work

Posted by on Jul. 23, 2013 at 11:53 PM
  • 8 Replies
I am a midwife/nurse, after having my babies I started working in community midwifery. Now after having my last baby 12mths on its back to work time. I have to work back in a hospital/acute setting. I am really worried I am starting from scratch, worried I won't remember little things etc. of course there are guidelines to follow but I used to be on top of my game I was good at what I did now because I have been out so long I am frightened of it :( anyone else feel like this? Or had similar experience?
by on Jul. 23, 2013 at 11:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
thebatesfamily
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 12:21 AM

Well let me say this. I have not worked for nearly 6 years as I got my education and had my children. Now I am going back 4 months pregnant and in a heap of student debt. I hate it. I truly hate leaving my life and my kids in the hands of others. Fortunately the daycare they go to is the most highly in demand center in our entire county and I trust them with my babies lives. And of course not working for so long leaves me nervous too. But here is a simple fact. We can do it all at home so we can do it all at work. I think what it is you're feeling is that "if you don't use it, you lose it". In some instances this is true. But this is the human body you're working with, a human body you yourself have as well. I think it is nerves getting in the way. Once you get into the workplace everything will come flooding back to you as needed. 

Trust yourself Mama!

Moof4boys
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 2:29 AM
Thank you, sad you have to understand with me but I am so appreciative for your comments. You have picked me up :-)
latopmom
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 8:17 AM
You'll be fine...your training and education will come back .
nurse1997
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 10:52 AM

Yes, I just quit and started at a new hospital and now im at the bottom and starting over we moved out of state for my husbands job I'm sad ,scared, and some times I wish I didn't do it but than I think family first but than I'm like what about my happiness too. My children are no longer very little any more I hope I land back on my feet soon I hate this feeling good luck  !

Pukalani79
by Kris on Jul. 24, 2013 at 11:39 AM

I was a pharmacy tech for a little over 5 years before I took a 2 year break.  It was a little difficult going back, but everything came back to me really quickly.  I'm sure you'll do great

countrymomma81
by Platinum Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 1:07 PM

No. I wasn't working when I had my kids. 

You'll be fine. It'll be like riding a bike. When you get back you'll remember everything. Good luck!

.Peaches.
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 1:37 PM

Training like that doesn't just leave you- give yourself a little time to get back into the swing of things, and you'll be just fine.

12yrmama
by Bronze Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 2:38 PM

Yup. When I went back to teaching. I had been gone for 4 yrs or so (because of move and baby). It was weird and my co-teacher felt like she had to stand up for me, in every way, because I was so unsure of myself.

But the next year was great and each year since has been better. (first yr I was full-time then after anouther baby I stayed working but only p-t. I'm glad I'm keeping my foot in the door this time.)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)