Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

Thoughts? Parents Hire $400-an-Hour Playdate Consultants to Teach Their Kids How to Play!

Posted by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 3:45 PM
  • 18 Replies

Parents Hire $400-an-Hour Playdate Consultants to Teach Their Kids How to play

by Julie Ryan Evans

kids coloringWell people, here it is -- proof that parents have officially gone off the deep end when it comes to over-involvement in their kids' lives. Parents are now hiring playdate consultants to teach their kids how to properly play with other kids.

I wish I was making this up, but it's true. According to the New York Post, moms and dads in New York are paying $400 an hour for an expert to come in and help their child be the best little socializer he or she can be.

Suzanne Rheault, CEO of Aristotle Circle, which provides such services, told the paper:

Some kids need a little bit more work at learning how to play. Sometimes [parents] hear from our experts that there are some areas to improve.

Forget about letting them figure things out on their own and growing from it, let's just get an expert to butt in and orchestrate the crayon sharing. The reason they hire them is perhaps even sadder -- because they're being prepped and molded to get into "the right" preschools with a schedule full of classes and activities, and they have no time to just be kids.

More from The Stir: Overly Worried Moms Are Literally Making Their Kids Sick

So much pressure. So young. No wonder they don't know how to play. It's heartbreaking really.

Before we climb too far up on our outraged high horses though, we really do have to take a look at our own approach to parenting. While I could never afford $400 an hour for something as crazy as this, my husband and I do what we can to give our children a "leg up" or whatever you want to call it when we can. When my son was chosen for an all-star baseball team, we coughed up the cash for a personal coach to work with him a couple of times. We send our kids to a private school because we think it's better for them. We drive all over creation to various sports and activities and playdates because we want them to be well rounded. Who's to say what we'd do if we had all sorts of extra cash? It's easy to say "I'd never" when you know you can't, but when you can, things can change.

In general, parents do so much more to "help" our kids these day than to just send them out the front door and let them figure life out until the street lights come on than our parents ever did. So while $400 playdate tutors sound ridiculous, it's really relative and perhaps just on the extreme end of what most parents today do for (or to) kids today.

Would you ever hire a playdate tutor? What things do you do to give your kids a leg up?

Image via one tiny spark/Flickr

by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 3:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
catevincesmom
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 4:04 PM

This is so silly!!  I can think of lots of better ways to spend my $.  I'm all for my kids learning social skills & doing well, but this is WAY over the top. . .

lalasmama2007
by Ticia on Jul. 24, 2013 at 4:11 PM

No way!  That's ridiculous!

Karenjm
by Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 4:12 PM
So stupid!
AllofFive19
by Bronze Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 5:10 PM

WOW... That's really all I can say.

mumsy2three
by Shauna on Jul. 24, 2013 at 5:33 PM

Ridiculous!

crwspringer
by Silver Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 5:39 PM
These are probably the same people who hired the handicapped people to go around Disney with them.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
countrymomma81
by Platinum Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 6:42 PM

My children don't like being alone, yet they don't always entertain well. If that were something I could afford I might consider something along those lines. They have no idea how to entertain themselves and I have no idea how to entertain them because when I was their age I read books or played outside. I didn't have toys (because I didn't want them) so while I have a great imagination, when it comes to toys and playing with kids I'm clueless. 

cloughmom5
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 10:58 PM

I don't know about the playdate tutor, maybe if the kid is really very shy or maybe the kid is really mean and needs to learn to get along with others. But playing is suppost to come naturally isn't it? I would give to kid a chance to do it on their own and if a problum comes up that is really in need of help then get someone.

JTE11
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 11:18 PM

Oh dear. I find this appalling.  It really sounds like these tutors may be laughing all the way to the bank.

.Peaches.
by on Jul. 25, 2013 at 12:49 AM

If I had an extra $400, I damn sure wouldn't be spending it on someone to teach my kid how to be a kid...how stupid can you get?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN