Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

So worried my daughter will get salmonella?

Posted by on Jul. 26, 2013 at 12:02 PM
  • 10 Replies

We went to the store yeseterday afternoon and she is 5 yrs old and briefly touched some raw salmon that was wrapped up and I caught her and stopepd her. however there was no hand sanitizer and i forgot about by the end of our shopping trip that i elt her have some crackers on the way home, after touching the raw wrapped salmon!o you think she's at risk or am i just being a worry-wart?

by on Jul. 26, 2013 at 12:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Pukalani79
by Kris on Jul. 26, 2013 at 12:25 PM

She'll probably be fine.  Just keep an eye on her.  I'd put a mini bottle of hand sanitizer in your purse for those occasions

Dabberdoo
by Bronze Member on Jul. 26, 2013 at 12:39 PM
Worry wart. Honestly, what can you do about it at this point? Worrying isn't going to help at all.
KylesMom409
by Linnette on Jul. 26, 2013 at 12:40 PM
I agree.

Quoting Pukalani79:

She'll probably be fine.  Just keep an eye on her.  I'd put a mini bottle of hand sanitizer in your purse for those occasions

Tckosdk.2012
by Bronze Member on Jul. 26, 2013 at 12:42 PM

Can you get Salmonella from salmon? I didn't think you could since people eat it raw in sushi. I thought that was just from raw chicken.

mumsy2three
by Shauna on Jul. 26, 2013 at 1:18 PM

Me too.

Quoting KylesMom409:

I agree.

Quoting Pukalani79:

storkradio193
by Silver Member on Jul. 26, 2013 at 1:26 PM

Salmonella comes from foods contaminated with feces (including fruits and veggies not just animal products).  It is a good habit to rinse off all foods or cook thoroughly in the case of meats.   I imagine she will be fine assuming the store is clean and the employees wash their hands. 

esox
by Bronze Member on Jul. 26, 2013 at 1:31 PM
It was wrapped? I see no need to worry. Think of all the times you have picked up raw meat packages to toss in the cart, has it ever made you sick?
jazzybellerina
by on Aug. 1, 2013 at 3:35 AM

Yup!  I took a medical micobiology class recently that blew my mind.  Now, I walk around with antibacterial wipes, Lysol wipes and antibacterial gel.

I wipe down everything since I have a 2 year old that's into touching anything she can get her hands on.  

Quoting storkradio193:

Salmonella comes from foods contaminated with feces (including fruits and veggies not just animal products).  It is a good habit to rinse off all foods or cook thoroughly in the case of meats.   I imagine she will be fine assuming the store is clean and the employees wash their hands. 

bluedolly01
by Member on Aug. 1, 2013 at 5:30 AM
If she's not sick yet then she is probably going to be fine.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
alc4evermom
by Member on Aug. 1, 2013 at 6:53 AM

Germs pass through your body every day----because we touch dirtier surfaces than that.  If people don't exposed to germs they can't build immunity.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)