Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

Babysitting payment question:

My daughter is 13 and she baby sat a 6 year old on Wed. from 6:00am-12pm then Thur. 6:15am-5:00pm and Fri. 6:30am-5:00pm. The mom paid her today and she paid her $45.00. I thought she should get paid a little more. What do you think? 

by on Jul. 28, 2013 at 10:51 PM
Replies (11-20):
butterfly112505
by on Jul. 28, 2013 at 11:11 PM

Thats a great idea. I took that class when I was younger and was babysitting. I will look into that tomorrow. 

Quoting grneyedormom:

I'm glad you were close by, :) I would look into the Red Cross babysitting class for your kiddo. (Do they still have it?) I am considering having my kiddo take it, not because she's babysitting yet, but because she is slowly starting to stay home alone and it willteach her skills (on top of what I am teaching her) on how to react in emergencies.

Quoting butterfly112505:

I agree. The 6year old she was sitting lives right next door, and we live VERY close to each other. I was home the entire time and checked on them many times as well. I think its crazy I even have to say anything. 

Quoting grneyedormom:

That length of time I would have expected at least $100-$150. Not to mention that was a lot of time for such a young sitter.

.Peaches.
by on Jul. 29, 2013 at 12:11 AM

A price should've been agreed on before hand. When I babysat, I charged per child if I was babysitting for 4 hours or less, or per hour if it was more than 4 hours. My pay rate was discussed up front.

She definitely should've gotten more, because I would think that $30-$40 per day for those kind of hours is reasonable.

acrogodess
by Silver Member on Jul. 29, 2013 at 12:36 AM
$40 a day and that is low balling it. She took advantage that's for sure.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ardiaxe
by Member on Jul. 29, 2013 at 12:51 AM

Wow, if my daughter was taken advantage like that, I would walk on over there and ask this mother how much she gives per hour.  I would then ask if your daughter was paid the full amount for the approximate 30hrs she worked. I babysat a lot as a child and the last time I got paid 2$ an hr was 20 yrs ago.  

strmrayne
by on Jul. 29, 2013 at 8:24 AM
If we are going out for an evening we pay $10 an hour. If it is for a day like your daughter did, we pay at least $40 a day. I would have expected at least $100.
KylesMom409
by Linnette on Jul. 29, 2013 at 8:37 AM
I agree 100%.

Quoting grneyedormom:

That length of time I would have expected at least $100-$150. Not to mention that was a lot of time for such a young sitter.

mumsy2three
by Shauna on Jul. 29, 2013 at 8:47 AM

Did they agree on a price before hand? I think she should have been paid more than what she got.

Calebsmom624
by Member on Jul. 29, 2013 at 9:05 AM

Wow, we must be overpaying then!  LOL!  When we go out on a date we pay around $10 an hour.

countrymomma81
by Platinum Member on Jul. 29, 2013 at 9:31 AM

Ugh, when I was 14 I babysat 4 kids ages 12, 10 (both girls) and 8 year old twins (boys) Monday through Friday 7:00-6:00. It was my very first job and because I wanted to make a good impression I would clean the house while it was there. It was supposed to be the kids jobs but I couldn't control those kids at all. I got paid $25.00 a week. That was the stupidest thing I ever could have agreed to, but there were certain clothes I wanted to wear to school that my mom wouldn't buy me so I had to earn my own money. 

Did your daughter give her a price? If not, that's where she messed up. Maybe the mom isn't sure of what the cost of babysitting is these days, or maybe she doesn't really have any more money. Either way I hate when adults take advantage of younger girls when it comes to babysitting. 

OliviaW.
by Bronze Member on Jul. 29, 2013 at 9:35 AM
Babysitters around here are $10 and that's through a service. If the sitter has first aid experience or whatever they get more.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN