Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

Babysitting payment question:

My daughter is 13 and she baby sat a 6 year old on Wed. from 6:00am-12pm then Thur. 6:15am-5:00pm and Fri. 6:30am-5:00pm. The mom paid her today and she paid her $45.00. I thought she should get paid a little more. What do you think? 

by on Jul. 28, 2013 at 10:51 PM
Replies (21-30):
motamaid
by on Jul. 29, 2013 at 9:36 AM
What the fudge? Your daughter needs to charge her more. Don't let her babysit for them again. The 6 in the morning shit alone is crazy. $5 an hour.
RHayden25
by Member on Jul. 29, 2013 at 9:39 AM

I have a sitter coming for 3.5 hours this weekend for my three girls aged 6, 4.5 and 14mo. We pay her aprx $13/hr so this date alone she will earn $45ish.

Jinxed8
by Gold Member on Jul. 29, 2013 at 10:26 AM

She basically paid her barely above $1  an hour which is not okay ...  I've never paid my babysitters this little.  The lowest I've ever paid was $4 an hour and even at that I round it off to the higher number.

Roxygurl
by Member on Jul. 29, 2013 at 10:29 AM
Yeah way low.

At that age I was making 5 bucks an hour.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ss_mom_of_four
by on Jul. 29, 2013 at 11:11 AM

I babysit full time, for ones a little younger, but I get $20/day/child

butterfly112505
by on Jul. 29, 2013 at 11:13 AM

I am glad that I ask you guys because it seemed like total crap to me so now I feel better about saying something. My daughter babysits for her a good bit and she has never done this. I always felt she paid her less than she deserved but this is stupid. I am talking to her today and my daughter will not be babysitting any longer for her. I appreciate all the info so we know whats fair for the future.

butterfly112505
by on Jul. 29, 2013 at 11:16 AM

Let me add that the lady she was babysitting for has plenty of money so it had nothing to do with that. They have way more money than my family has. 

flowerpower611
by on Jul. 29, 2013 at 11:26 AM

Is this mother on a fixed income? Is this all she can afford? Next time write up a contract on price and make her sign it, need to protect our young babysitters, they need some spending money as well.

marythemommy
by on Jul. 29, 2013 at 11:39 AM

Yeah. She should have been paid A LOT more! I'm not good at math, but it sounds like she was paid only 60 cents and hour - WELLL below minimum wage!  We pay our babysitter $10 and hour and back in the dark ages when I was a babysitter, I was paid about $6/hr. I think the mother shou pay up!

tjaa
by Member on Jul. 29, 2013 at 1:28 PM
I definately think she should be paid more! I pay my baby sitter to watch my 8 (almost 9 yr old) $40 when it's all day. Then I pay her $7/hour if its 1-5 hours. That's the way the drop-in daycare runs near my house. I also leave money for them to order pizza or whatever. And I was afraid I wasn't paying enough! If I were you and your dd I would either ask the woman about increasing your dd rate or just tell her you're not available next time she asks. Either way she'll figure out she's ripping you're dd off.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)