Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babysitting payment question:

My daughter is 13 and she baby sat a 6 year old on Wed. from 6:00am-12pm then Thur. 6:15am-5:00pm and Fri. 6:30am-5:00pm. The mom paid her today and she paid her $45.00. I thought she should get paid a little more. What do you think? 

by on Jul. 28, 2013 at 10:51 PM
Replies (31-40):
mommyjudy7
by on Jul. 29, 2013 at 1:45 PM

Wow...she should at least be getting paid 8 dollars an hour, definitely!

sarah824
by on Jul. 29, 2013 at 1:51 PM

Wow, I would have expected more, but if they didn't discuss it ahead of time then I don't think there is much you can do. I would definitely have your daughter mention her pay rate before she babysits again. Never assume that the other person is going to be fair when it comes to babysitting.

newmom218
by Member on Jul. 29, 2013 at 5:19 PM

What is the current rate for a babysitter? I've only relied on family offering so it will be good to know when we do start using a babysitter.

flowerchild0315
by on Jul. 29, 2013 at 5:43 PM

That is terrible.  She got paid like 2 an hr not even.  I DO NOT THINK SO.  I would be very angry if I was you, this person took advantage.  Not sure where you live however she should be getting pd at least $5 hr.  She should of made at least 130.  Go to care.com and type in the information in the calculator.  I believe too they underpay as well.  Your poor daughter, that upsets me and I am not even you. I am so sorry.

deedee513
by on Jul. 30, 2013 at 9:58 AM

Yes, thats rediculous. Sounds like she is getting used!!!! I wouldnt let her babysit for that family again and if she is asked why...I would encourage to be honest and speak up for herself. Its a good life lesson and will build her confidence in the future. Its not Ok to be taken advantage of.

e-doolittle
by Kelly on Jul. 30, 2013 at 10:08 AM

seems low to me.  Are you going to say anything about this time or make sure it is more set for next?

esox
by Bronze Member on Jul. 30, 2013 at 10:11 AM

Oh yeah! She should have been paid way more! Was your daughter happy with the amount?

oilfieldwifey1
by New Member on Jul. 30, 2013 at 10:40 PM
I used to do a flat rate w my sitters so it worked out for both of us. It was 20 dollars wether they kept the 5min or all day. And that's how I charged people when I babysat now its 30 either way. I would have days where I only needed a sitter for a couple hrs to go to an appt but then there were times like when my hubby and I would go out and be gone 5-6 hrs. So she knew either way what she was getting paid and she knew when I kept kids that's what and how I got paid so she thought it was fair
exhaustedmother
by Bronze Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 4:14 AM

yeah she should have definitely be paid a lot more. Next time have her agree on a price before babysitting!

thriftymom35
by Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 9:41 AM
Man I guess I way overpay......I pay $10/hr for 2 kids.........
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)