Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

Babysitting payment question:

My daughter is 13 and she baby sat a 6 year old on Wed. from 6:00am-12pm then Thur. 6:15am-5:00pm and Fri. 6:30am-5:00pm. The mom paid her today and she paid her $45.00. I thought she should get paid a little more. What do you think? 

by on Jul. 28, 2013 at 10:51 PM
Replies (41-46):
Stephd710
by Bronze Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 10:12 AM

Definitely should have been more.  I paid my freinds 14 year old to watch my twins for 3 hours last weekend.  I paid her $20 (although she didnt want any money, i had to force it on her  lol).  

morning_glories
by Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 1:38 PM

I would think she should have been paid at least $60 but that is just me. Your daughter should let people know how much she expects up front from now on. My daughter gets paid $10 an hour from a cousin. It ensures that my daughter will do a good job with her 3 kids but it also ensures that they wont take advantage of my daughter and stay out too late. lol.

surromama
by Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 1:43 PM
I watch a 2 yr old and I get $30 a day for 11 hours.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
annelauer
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 1:58 PM
It depends on where you live and the arrangement. I've never seen a babysitter who charges less than $15/hr, but we live in a very high cost of living area and I don't think it's even legal here to leave a child with a 13 year old. I do think you should let your daughter handle it though. It's her job and she should take responsibility and decide what she wants to do about it. Great learning opportunity for her.
Mom2jngnc
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 2:00 PM

I usually ask for $2 per child/per hour.... then $1 if the child is suppose to be here but itsn't...... that is me as an adult...... I run back up for friends, 

mem82
by Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 4:15 PM

Maybe the mom thought that since it was early the kid might have been an *easy* watch if he was sleeping for a few hours of that time? Your daughter still should have been paid a bit more.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN