Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

I don't know what to do

Posted by on Jul. 29, 2013 at 2:12 AM
  • 35 Replies
Ok so I'm kind of hesitant to post about this...it's pretty serious and I'm not sure I'm up for all the criticism that might come so be gentle ladies! It's my sister..my baby sister...my only sister. My sister that's 22 and addicted to heroin. For the last year she's been using...using alot and slowly killing herself. I can't tell you how awful it is to plan your little sisters funeral on a daily basis. How I'm so frazzled that every phone call I get from my mom I plan on hearing that she's dead. Her addiction has tore my family apart. She's been arrested twice in a month for heroin possession. She doesn't want help...I can't help her my family can't help her. I feel like I'm pretty much just waiting for her to die. I don't know what to do.....jail hasn't done shit she gets out and starts using again. I feel helpless. I'm torn between wanting to fight for her to live and just giving up. Has anyone ever dealt with an addict before? I feel like I don't even know her anymore. What would you do?
by on Jul. 29, 2013 at 2:12 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jlm425
by on Jul. 29, 2013 at 3:00 AM
1 mom liked this
I'm sorry you're going through that. I dont have much advice other than love her without enabling her. Pray for her. She has to want to change and many times it takes people to hit rock bottom. Hopefully your sister will get her wake up call and listen before it's too late.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KylesMom409
by Linnette on Jul. 29, 2013 at 7:53 AM
1 mom liked this

I couldn't agree more.  HUGS and I'm sorry you're going through this, hun.  Keep us posted.

Quoting jlm425:

I'm sorry you're going through that. I dont have much advice other than love her without enabling her. Pray for her. She has to want to change and many times it takes people to hit rock bottom. Hopefully your sister will get her wake up call and listen before it's too late.

mumsy2three
by Shauna on Jul. 29, 2013 at 8:55 AM
2 moms liked this

I don't have drug addicts in my family but mine is full of alcoholics. Unfortunately until your sister takes ownership and wants to deal with her addiction there really isn't anything you can do to change that. I agree with the jlm425 above, love her but don't enable her. Hugs!

morning_glories
by on Jul. 29, 2013 at 9:38 AM
2 moms liked this

I am so sorry that you have to go through this. I can't imagine. My brother is an alcoholic, not the same, but he too was killing himself, he totaled 3 cars, gained like 60 lbs. slept all day. When he stayed at my house he would sneak out liquor when we went to bed. It got so bad that he would sweat alcohol.

Finally I told him that he wasn't going to be able to come to our house anymore. I couldn't let my kids watch him kill himself, besides when he got drunk he would get ruff with them. He was a totally different person and it really hurt my 14 year old who remembered her fun Uncle.

It hurt his feelings but a year later he did decide to get his act together and now he is finishing his year of Rehab in FL.

Keep hope that one day she will wake up and have a 'Come to Jesus Moment' But that is all you really can do. She has to want to help herself.

hugs

Snakecharm
by Member on Jul. 29, 2013 at 9:40 AM
Maybe you can look into having an intervention for her.

Who is she living with? Do you know why she started using?

So sorry... This must be heartbreaking.
Jinxed8
by Gold Member on Jul. 29, 2013 at 10:04 AM
1 mom liked this

Sorry you are going through this, it's cannot be easy.  I am unsure how to deal with addiction although I've had experience with alcoholism.   I keep hearing about rock bottom.  The book The Heroin Diaries by Nikki Sixx may insipire her ?  I've heard it's helped people out of addiction but then again if she's neck deep and doesn't care forcing her into re-hab maybe the only option at this point.

CrimsonRadiance
by Heather on Jul. 29, 2013 at 10:08 AM
2 moms liked this
This.

Until she is ready for help, there is nothing you can really do. :-(
*hugs and prayers for you hun*

Quoting jlm425:

jgreenwell
by on Jul. 29, 2013 at 10:49 AM
1 mom liked this

Agreed. I admire your bravery for posting here, as people can be harsh judges. However, I bet you have gained a handful of people praying for you and your sister today, and perhaps God has a plan to bring her out of it and give her the inspiration to change. Be ready to support her when she decides to help herself; it will be a long, hard road.

Quoting jlm425:

Can I pray for you? Message me with any specifics you care to share!

JacksMom1221
by Member on Jul. 29, 2013 at 10:54 AM
3 moms liked this
Maybe you can look in to some Al-Anon meetings and talk with some others who know what you're going through and who can give you some options. I think it varies state to state on what you can legally do. Good luck, I truly hope your sister finds her way
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Rydermomma2009
by on Jul. 29, 2013 at 11:51 AM
She started using when she started dating this piece of shit guy. He got her into it got her shooting up. She's always had depression issues but I don't know why she's had a great life. She lives with my parents in Michigan I'm in Nevada. I flew up there with my son for 3 weeks last month the day I got there she was arrested and spent 3 days in jail. She got out and just took off for a week and didnt spend anytime with me or her nephew getting high was more important to her. It broke my heart...rehab is too expensive and we can't force her to go. I'm hoping the judge will make her that's what I've been praying for.

Quoting Snakecharm:

Maybe you can look into having an intervention for her.

Who is she living with? Do you know why she started using?

So sorry... This must be heartbreaking.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)