Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

Need Bedtime Advice! Plz!

Posted by on Jul. 29, 2013 at 5:33 PM
  • 3 Replies

I recently became the step mother of a wonderful six-year-old girl.  She's generally well behaved, but suddenly she's been having trouble at bed time with being left alone in her room.  It's not the things she usually does if she wants to push her bed time back- she's crying so hard she can't breath, refusing to let go of me, saying she wants me to be there with her/she's scared.  The second time it happened her dad stayed with her until she fell asleep (around midnight), but he works a lot of doubles so I end up being home alone with her and I just don't know what to do.  I'm afraid of not giving her a safe enough environment to sooth her AND creating bad habits we'll have problems.  And it's not just at bedtime. The other day we were on a road trip and she refused to let me take a nap in the car because she "liked when I talked to her".  She could be busy with anything, and if I tell her that I'm going to go lay down for a nap (I'm pregnant) she drops what she's doing and insists she wants to come snuggle with me.  It's not that I don't like her being around, I'm just really concerned that this behavior seemingly came out of no where.  Any advice would be appreciated.

by on Jul. 29, 2013 at 5:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
Tammywhynot
by on Jul. 29, 2013 at 6:36 PM
Maybe shes feeling insecure cos ur pregnant, I know how this goes I have 3 step daughters and now 2 of my own girls. When is ur baby due? Maybe if u try and get her involved, I told mine they was going to be big sister and thiee job was to love and help with the baby. as for the sleeping thing, my 7 year old is doing the same, think she will just snap out of it, I dont stay in her room though I go into my room and tell her im just next door I will come and check on u in 5 mins, I do that a few times before she nods off. Or maybe if u want to go down stair give her a intercom/ walkie talkie so if she needs u she can just press the button, hope this helps love xx

Quoting madamme138:

I recently became the step mother of a wonderful six-year-old girl.  She's generally well behaved, but suddenly she's been having trouble at bed time with being left alone in her room.  It's not the things she usually does if she wants to push her bed time back- she's crying so hard she can't breath, refusing to let go of me, saying she wants me to be there with her/she's scared.  The second time it happened her dad stayed with her until she fell asleep (around midnight), but he works a lot of doubles so I end up being home alone with her and I just don't know what to do.  I'm afraid of not giving her a safe enough environment to sooth her AND creating bad habits we'll have problems.  And it's not just at bedtime. The other day we were on a road trip and she refused to let me take a nap in the car because she "liked when I talked to her".  She could be busy with anything, and if I tell her that I'm going to go lay down for a nap (I'm pregnant) she drops what she's doing and insists she wants to come snuggle with me.  It's not that I don't like her being around, I'm just really concerned that this behavior seemingly came out of no where.  Any advice would be appreciated.

Dabberdoo
by Bronze Member on Jul. 29, 2013 at 6:43 PM
Have you talked to the bio mom or had her dad talk to the bio mom? Could something have happened that you don't know about? I find the bedtime situation to be a bit troubling.
madamme138
by on Jul. 30, 2013 at 5:38 PM
The bio mom won't talk to us about anything- all we get is that what happens at her house is none of our business. Our best guess, from things Izzy has mentioned here and there, is that her 4-year-old step brother over there is hitting her and when he does, they both get sent to their room. She tells us that when she's at her mom's house she has to stay in her room, but obviosly we have no control over there.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN