• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How dumb is this???

Posted by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 2:22 PM
  • 12 Replies

My dd's school just revised the school calender.  So instead of the first day of school being on Tuesday, September 3rd, it's now Wednesday, September 4th.  Which really wouldn't be all that bad if school wasn't closed on the 5th and 6th.  

Why not just give them the entire week off?  I'm wondering who's bright idea this was to send the kids back for a day then give them 4 days off.  Sometimes all I can do is just shake my head!!!

** It's 5 O'clock Somewhere **

by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 2:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Jinxed8
by Platinum Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 2:25 PM

I'm the opposite ... why not make school start Sept 3rd instead of 2 half days on the 28th and 29th then 1 full day on the 30th to be followed by a long weekend .... this means we have to cut our family vacation short.  But she may miss the 2 first half days ... screw it we only get to go on a family vacation once a year.

Briesmom38
by Gold Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 2:31 PM

What is wrong with the people who make up these calenders, do they not have half a brain?  I would have my dd miss two half days too for a family vacation, that's definitely important in my book!

Quoting Jinxed8:

I'm the opposite ... why not make school start Sept 3rd instead of 2 half days on the 28th and 29th then 1 full day on the 30th to be followed by a long weekend .... this means we have to cut our family vacation short.  But she may miss the 2 first half days ... screw it we only get to go on a family vacation once a year.

KendallsMommee
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 2:44 PM
That's insane.
Jinxed8
by Platinum Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 3:03 PM

Seriously ... I don't get it either I was SO SURE school wouldn't start until the 3rd that it didn't even dawn on me.  Therefore I booked our vacation for the last week of August on purpose WITH the mindset that our vacation was automatically extended until the 3rd.  

Quoting Briesmom38:

What is wrong with the people who make up these calenders, do they not have half a brain?  I would have my dd miss two half days too for a family vacation, that's definitely important in my book!

Quoting Jinxed8:

Briesmom38
by Gold Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 3:07 PM

I would have thought the same thing.  

I just got a text from a friend of mine, pretty much with the same comment, wondering who had their head up their a$$ when they came up with this great idea of one day of school then off until the next week,lol

Quoting Jinxed8:

Seriously ... I don't get it either I was SO SURE school wouldn't start until the 3rd that it didn't even dawn on me.  Therefore I booked our vacation for the last week of August on purpose WITH the mindset that our vacation was automatically extended until the 3rd.  

Quoting Briesmom38:

Quoting Jinxed8:

goofygoobermom
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 3:26 PM

yeah that don't make any sense to me either

esox
by Bronze Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 3:45 PM

Why is it closed on the 5th and 6th? That is pretty ridiculous. I'm sure all the teachers hate it too and that most of the kids will miss that first day of school. 

Briesmom38
by Gold Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 3:48 PM

The 5th is Rosh Hashanah and the 6th is professional development.

Quoting esox:

Why is it closed on the 5th and 6th? That is pretty ridiculous. I'm sure all the teachers hate it too and that most of the kids will miss that first day of school. 

esox
by Bronze Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 4:16 PM

That is rather interesting, I've never seen a school close for a Jewish Holiday. Is it a predominately Jewish school/neighborhood? As a teacher, all of my Professional Development days have always been the two days before school even starts (with a few thrown into the school year here and there).

Quoting Briesmom38:

Quoting esox:

Briesmom38
by Gold Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 4:20 PM
1 mom liked this

I live in NJ we close for everything,lol  Nope, my town is definitely not a predominately Jewish school or neighborhood, the next town over is, but they have a whole different set of rules.  

Quoting esox:

That is rather interesting, I've never seen a school close for a Jewish Holiday. Is it a predominately Jewish school/neighborhood? As a teacher, all of my Professional Development days have always been the two days before school even starts (with a few thrown into the school year here and there).

Quoting Briesmom38:

Quoting esox:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)