Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

SCHOOL SNACK BAR ALLOWANCE??

Posted by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 7:19 PM
  • 19 Replies

This is the first year my son is going to get to buy his food from the school snack bar what would you all say  is a reasonable weekly allowance .... ???

by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 7:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
thriftymom35
by Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 7:22 PM
$20?
jennj76569
by Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 7:24 PM
1 mom liked this

OHHH COOL GREAT MINDS THINK alike , that seemed reasonable to me too just wasnt sure if it was just me... thanks......

Quoting thriftymom35:

$20?

CampClan
by Bronze Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 7:25 PM
1 mom liked this

I have no clue. My kids get the standard lunch & that's it. If they want something extra (like a cookie or brownie or popcorn) they have to pay for it themselves. I refuse to buy it for them.

jennj76569
by Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 7:29 PM

MY kid wont eat anything from the cafeteria he hasnt ever, hes picky at home too...:( if i forget to pack his lunch he just starves until he gets home soooo im kinda stuck with packing a lunch or giving him an allowance....

Quoting CampClan:

I have no clue. My kids get the standard lunch & that's it. If they want something extra (like a cookie or brownie or popcorn) they have to pay for it themselves. I refuse to buy it for them.

SallyB_LMT
by Bronze Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 8:26 PM

Will you be sending a lunch with him as well?  Our school doesn't have a snack bar, so I don't know for sure.  I would think $20 would be plenty for snacks, it sounds like a bit much even, especially if he's going to be bringing a lunch from home as well.  I would think $10 a week for snacks would be plenty.  But, I don't know the prices on the stuff.  I give my kids $2 each per week for snacks on "Fun Friday".  They wind up spending it on sugary crap.  I wouldn't want them to spend more than that every day on that sort of thing.  I also pack them lunch every day because they're vegetarian and the menu at our school is mostly meat-centered, occasionally they will have a pb&j or cheese pizza, but my kids aren't very excited about either... 

mumsy2three
by Shauna on Aug. 1, 2013 at 8:19 AM

Not sure. We don't have a snack bar in elementary school.

Once they are in MS/HS our cafeteria has "the cage" which is where snacks can be purchased.

Roxygurl
by Member on Aug. 1, 2013 at 8:20 AM
I'd find out how much everything costs first and then decide because 20 a week seems high to me.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
esox
by Bronze Member on Aug. 1, 2013 at 9:10 AM

The school I worked in had a snack bar and the most expensive item was a 6 pack of oreos for 50 cents, 20$ seems a little high. I'd say 5-10$ unless you want your kid to stock up on junk food? 

Jinxed8
by Gold Member on Aug. 1, 2013 at 10:53 AM

$20 a week works out to $4 a day !!! That's a LOT considering that I pay $4.50 for a full catered lunch through my daughter's school.

rebeccab1966
by on Aug. 1, 2013 at 5:22 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting jennj76569:

MY kid wont eat anything from the cafeteria he hasnt ever, hes picky at home too...:( if i forget to pack his lunch he just starves until he gets home soooo im kinda stuck with packing a lunch or giving him an allowance....

Quoting CampClan:

My kids HATE the cafeteria food, they said it's disgusting.  I have to pack for them every day.  But my son starts high school this year and I heard he'll have alot more options and the food is better.  Maybe they're spoiled since I'm an amazing cook (brag, brag, brag)!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)