Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

are meals really such a big deal ???

Posted by on Aug. 1, 2013 at 3:15 PM
  • 38 Replies

At my house, when DD has a friend over they often end up staying for meals ...  I don't really care, for me it's not a big deal whether there's an extra person for dinner.  I've said no only this ONE time because seriously, not only was it UBER last minute but there was just enough for the three of us. (3 people, 3 hamburgers type of deal)  I've stopped counting how many times I've fed other people's kids.

But other parents seem to think it's a big deal.  Typical hours for play dates are 1pm to 5pm.  It cracks me up ! Whenever DD invites a friend over it's always like : Come right now. Yes lunch is fine, want to stay for dinner ? Fine by me.  Hell, I've kept a little girl for like 26 hours one time she did lunch, dinner, breakfast the next day and lunch !  Big whoop ...

I'm just curious ...

by on Aug. 1, 2013 at 3:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ashley9603
by Member on Aug. 1, 2013 at 4:40 PM
1 mom liked this

It can be a big deal...I know that I will always have extra on hand if dd has a friend or two over.However before we were financially ok and able to stock extra food,it was an issue..

HIJKLM
by Member on Aug. 1, 2013 at 4:43 PM
Not a big deal here. We always cook big so there's always enough for 1-2 extra, sometimes more.
ReadWriteLuv
by Casey on Aug. 1, 2013 at 4:44 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm Paleo. No kids want to eat at my house because they don't recognize the food or don't like it. Problem solved.

Dabberdoo
by Bronze Member on Aug. 1, 2013 at 5:06 PM
1 mom liked this
It would be a hardship for me to have to feed additional people. Just being honest.
lhiannan
by on Aug. 1, 2013 at 5:09 PM
1 mom liked this

For us, it really depends on the food situation-sometimes I seriously don't have extra (one meal is not usually an issue).  My son is 15, and will ask me at the last minute if his twin friends can come over, and I cannot always afford to feed two extra teenage boys.

era75atl
by Member on Aug. 1, 2013 at 6:20 PM

Friends are not that big of a problem for me, its mostly my siblings and there children. They'll just invite themselves to dinner here and its usually a real problem and when I say something they usually get an attitude but honestly I dont really care cause I dont just invite myself and children to dinner with them.

WesternNYmom
by Alaina on Aug. 1, 2013 at 6:48 PM
1 mom liked this

As long as my kids let me know in advance so I can make sure we have enough food, I don't mind having an additional guest or 2 for dinner.  I also make it clear that this isn't going to be an every day thing as we can't afford to feed the neighborhood.  I also tell my kids that if they and their friends want snacks during the day, then they can help themselves to the less expensive, and healthier apples I have out for them, rather than allowing their friends to eat every last granola bar or spoonful of icecream we have in the house. 

snowangel1979
by Bronze Member on Aug. 1, 2013 at 6:56 PM
I don't mind feeding another child.

We don't have any other children in our neighborhood.
If a child is here during dinner time, what am I going to say? "please wait outside, by yourself, while we eat.."LOL.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mumsy2three
by Shauna on Aug. 1, 2013 at 8:20 PM

It's not really a big deal for me, I always cook for a crew and have leftovers any way.

HappyGirl77
by on Aug. 1, 2013 at 8:24 PM

If the kids are already here I always cook extra and they eat with us...we usually never hear from the parents wondering if we are feeding their kids...they must just assume they'll eat.  I do find it funny that when my kids go to other people's houses they are sent home before dinner...well actually I usually call them and make them come home for dinner; but that is because I like to have family dinners together on a nightly basis.

It is never to late to be what you might have been ~George Eliot~

Remember, no one can make you feel inferior without your consent ~Eleanor Roosevelt~

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)