Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Need a little help, a little advice.

Posted by on Aug. 5, 2013 at 9:09 AM
  • 129 Replies

My 18 month old son is on the bottle, I am trying to get him off of it, but I have a 6 month old daughter, she needs them, so he sees them and still wants them. Also, he will not drink milk out of anything but a bottle. I have tried everything. Cups with straws, regualr sippies, the ones with the sylicone tops too, nothing is working, any ideas? *Reminder* I can not get rid of the bottle, I have a 6 month old daughter.

by on Aug. 5, 2013 at 9:09 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kyledavidsmom
by Tara on Aug. 5, 2013 at 9:23 AM
11 moms liked this
I had the same problem I hid every bottle but the one for my daughter. I set up a reward system with my little guy. For every time he took his sister,s bottle. I would take it away and give it back to her. If he didn,t take it that day he got to pick a prize. After about a week of him not taking her bottle. I rewarded him with a big boy cup that was his last surprise. I didn't have any problem after that.

Good luck it was hard but it can be done. Bump for more advice.
Jinxed8
by Gold Member on Aug. 5, 2013 at 9:43 AM
1 mom liked this

no idea but here's a bump

mjimaging
by Melissa on Aug. 5, 2013 at 10:08 AM
That's tough. I know I'll likely have a similar problem when we have our next only it will be nursing. He will see baby do it and want to too. He's four and definitely does not need to be nursing. I don't have any advice. Good luck.
AllofFive19
by Bronze Member on Aug. 5, 2013 at 1:09 PM
44 moms liked this

If you're putting all of his liquids in the bottle, I would stop, and just put water in. If he wants anything else (juice, milk, kool-aid, flavored water, etc) he has to take the cup. 

Maybe even give him a choice. A bottle of water, or a cup of chocolate milk.

CountryGrlAtHrt
by on Aug. 5, 2013 at 1:18 PM
2 moms liked this

I know this isn't the same but when I was trying to wean my Children away from the Binky,I got an idea from a Lady on Cafemom called the Binky Fairy,slowly take the Binky away and if they don't use it for a long time or look/ask for it then they get a treat....

That might work with your DS,slowly take away the Bottle and tell him that big Kids drink out of sippy cups,maybe make him a chart and give him stickers on days where he does not use the Bottle...

I don't know lol,it's been years since I have had Kids with Bottles LOL..

Good Luck

I know it will be tough since You have a baby who still drinks from a Bottle.

energygirl
by on Aug. 5, 2013 at 6:35 PM
4 moms liked this

My  kids at around 6 months were just starting to sip at water in a sippy cup....once she gets the hang of it, the older boy might follow.. 

KylesMom409
by Linnette on Aug. 5, 2013 at 7:07 PM
3 moms liked this
Good advice.

Quoting AllofFive19:

If you're putting all of his liquids in the bottle, I would stop, and just put water in. If he wants anything else (juice, milk, kool-aid, flavored water, etc) he has to take the cup. 

AprilZbi31
by on Aug. 6, 2013 at 9:28 AM
Thank you for the advice ladies. I am trying to get him off the bottle, which I know I will be able to do if I can get him to drink milk from something other than a bottle, that is the only thing he uses the bottle for. I have tried everything to get him to drink milk from something else, but nothing is working, at all.
AprilZbi31
by on Aug. 15, 2013 at 12:05 PM

I am sorry for being snappy and rude, but please read the post more carefully. He ONLY takes MILK from the bottle. He will NOT drink it in anything else, I have tried everything, the sylicone sippies, regular sippies, straw cups, everything. He only drinks milk, no chocolate or strawberry. The only thing he drinks from a bottle is MILK everything else is in his SIPPIES.

Quoting AllofFive19:

AllofFive19
by Bronze Member on Aug. 15, 2013 at 12:29 PM
24 moms liked this

I DID read the post. I am telling you that as long as you offer him milk in the bottle only, that's what he will go for. I am telling you to put water in the bottle, milk in a cup and offer him a choice. 

Your goal here is to get him to choose the cup instead of a bottle.

Quoting AprilZbi31:

I am sorry for being snappy and rude, but please read the post more carefully. He ONLY takes MILK from the bottle. He will NOT drink it in anything else, I have tried everything, the sylicone sippies, regular sippies, straw cups, everything. He only drinks milk, no chocolate or strawberry. The only thing he drinks from a bottle is MILK everything else is in his SIPPIES.

Quoting AllofFive19:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)