Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

anyone here work in the veterinary industry?

Posted by on Aug. 14, 2013 at 10:14 PM
  • 24 Replies

Veterinarian, certified vet assistant, practicing vet assistant...etc!

I am interested in this career path. Have been for MANY years, even while I was in college for something totally different. Why it has taken me a decade to consider going back to school is beyond me. But I guess better late than never? I got a BA in communications in 2004 and have nothing to show for it except retail jobs.  My local college offers (practicing) vet assistant certification courses and I wouldnt mind getting into that field. My DREAM career would be working with wildlife animals and something like a vet assistant job would at least put my foot in the door for a volunteer position at a wildlife rehab center then maybe I'd move up to paid staff. In my head maybe lol but that's the goal I'm setting for myself. Have any words of advice based on your experience? I appreciate it! I'm 32. Is it too late for those goals? If I registered for classes within the next 2 years, maybe sooner?

by on Aug. 14, 2013 at 10:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Tckosdk.2012
by Bronze Member on Aug. 14, 2013 at 10:29 PM

I'm a vet tech & have been for about 15 years now. I would suggest volunteering at an animal hospital to see if you like it before you go to school. School can be expensive & my job isn't what most people think it is. Working with animals is very hard & dirty work. I can't tell you how many times I've been peed on & bit, or pulled my back out trying to restrain a 200 lb dog (that's growling at me). I actually had to have surgery on my hand after a really bad cat bite. It really is somthing you do because you love it because trust me, it's not for the paycheck.

Owl_Feather
by Silver Member on Aug. 14, 2013 at 10:32 PM

Quoting Tckosdk.2012:

I'm a vet tech & have been for about 15 years now. I would suggest volunteering at an animal hospital to see if you like it before you go to school. School can be expensive & my job isn't what most people think it is. Working with animals is very hard & dirty work. I can't tell you how many times I've been peed on & bit, or pulled my back out trying to restrain a 200 lb dog (that's growling at me). I actually had to have surgery on my hand after a really bad cat bite. It really is somthing you do because you love it because trust me, it's not for the paycheck.

oh absolutely. I have been really thinking about that and decided I want a career I enjoy for the enjoyment of the work...not for the money. Can I volunteer at an animal hospital/clinic without previous experience though?

Tckosdk.2012
by Bronze Member on Aug. 14, 2013 at 10:41 PM

Yes, you can. Just call around to local hospitals & ask. At my hospital we would let people come & just watch what we do. For legal reasons they can't help in case they get hurt but just observing what the techs go through on a daily basis really helps. I would just hate to see someone go to school & spend a lot of money for a career that they might not like. I've also seen that happen a lot. Another thing is working with vets can be hard. Some Dr's can be jerks. I've worked with some doozies. lol.

Quoting Owl_Feather:

Quoting Tckosdk.2012:

oh absolutely. I have been really thinking about that and decided I want a career I enjoy for the enjoyment of the work...not for the money. Can I volunteer at an animal hospital/clinic without previous experience though?

CafeMom Tickers
3MusketeerMama
by on Aug. 15, 2013 at 3:02 AM

Yep! Was a vet tech for 18 years and MRI technologist for six of those years. It's never to late to get involved in the veterinary field. At my old job one of the veterinary interns was in her 60's and was launching her second career. If I were you I would volunteer at a shelter...if you can hack that, you can handle anything. You can also start as a kennel assistant or tech assistant at a vet office. It will be a lot of kennel cleaning and dirty work in the beginning but it will give you a good idea what the job entails. Most vet techs don't make a huge amount of money but I was in a niche position and was making $25/hour as an unregistered technician, so it just depends on what you end up doing. If you want to do it for the long haul, I would recommend getting your RVT. Registered vet techs typically make more money, have more responsibility, and move up in the company faster.

smalltownmom03
by on Aug. 15, 2013 at 3:14 AM
You dont use muzzles?

Quoting Tckosdk.2012:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
e-doolittle
by Kelly on Aug. 15, 2013 at 9:13 AM
Here's a bump for you. Good luck!
Owl_Feather
by Silver Member on Aug. 15, 2013 at 10:30 AM

Perfect idea! I just called them and can come in tuesday for orientation. It starts at 2 though...and I pick up my son from school at 2:45. So it MIGHT not work for me :/ Maybe I could get my husband to take a half day or something. Once the orientation is out of the way I can come in whenever I want for however long I want I could have a friend watch my daughter. Thank you for that great advice! It will not only look good on my resume but they are also in desperate need for volunteers and I've been wanting to help them for a while now.

Quoting 3MusketeerMama:

Yep! Was a vet tech for 18 years and MRI technologist for six of those years. It's never to late to get involved in the veterinary field. At my old job one of the veterinary interns was in her 60's and was launching her second career. If I were you I would volunteer at a shelter...if you can hack that, you can handle anything. You can also start as a kennel assistant or tech assistant at a vet office. It will be a lot of kennel cleaning and dirty work in the beginning but it will give you a good idea what the job entails. Most vet techs don't make a huge amount of money but I was in a niche position and was making $25/hour as an unregistered technician, so it just depends on what you end up doing. If you want to do it for the long haul, I would recommend getting your RVT. Registered vet techs typically make more money, have more responsibility, and move up in the company faster.

Tckosdk.2012
by Bronze Member on Aug. 15, 2013 at 10:52 AM

Quoting smalltownmom03:

You dont use muzzles?

Quoting Tckosdk.2012:

Ohh yeah, of course we do but it's easy to get bit while trying to get the muzzle on. Especially with cats because they are quick.
3MusketeerMama
by on Aug. 15, 2013 at 11:09 AM

A shelter is a tough environment emotionally, especially if it is not a "no-kill" one but it will show you the ugly side and the hard work involved with taking care of animals. If you go from there to a veterinarian assistant job, you will appreciate it all the more. I LOVED my job as a vet tech. I retired from it to be a SAHM but it was a great experience. I worked in the critical care side, emergency medicine side, as well as the diagnostic imaging side. I got to see so many cool things and even did an MRI once on a panther that was an animal actor. So awesome!! Have fun and good luck!

Quoting Owl_Feather:

Perfect idea! I just called them and can come in tuesday for orientation. It starts at 2 though...and I pick up my son from school at 2:45. So it MIGHT not work for me :/ Maybe I could get my husband to take a half day or something. Once the orientation is out of the way I can come in whenever I want for however long I want I could have a friend watch my daughter. Thank you for that great advice! It will not only look good on my resume but they are also in desperate need for volunteers and I've been wanting to help them for a while now.

Quoting 3MusketeerMama:

Owl_Feather
by Silver Member on Aug. 15, 2013 at 11:44 AM

the one here is a kill shelter. The one I volunteered at so many years ago was a no-kill. I was in the kitty area! I loved it.

Quoting 3MusketeerMama:

A shelter is a tough environment emotionally, especially if it is not a "no-kill" one but it will show you the ugly side and the hard work involved with taking care of animals. If you go from there to a veterinarian assistant job, you will appreciate it all the more. I LOVED my job as a vet tech. I retired from it to be a SAHM but it was a great experience. I worked in the critical care side, emergency medicine side, as well as the diagnostic imaging side. I got to see so many cool things and even did an MRI once on a panther that was an animal actor. So awesome!! Have fun and good luck!

Quoting Owl_Feather:

Quoting 3MusketeerMama:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)