Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

Starting preschool - separation anxiety?

Posted by on Aug. 15, 2013 at 1:29 PM
  • 4 Replies

Hi,

I'm a mom with a full time job and my child has always attended a daycare. This fall my husband and I decided to switch from our daycare center to a center that is run a bit more like a school. My two and three quarters child started in their three year old classroom full time this week. We did a few half days last week to start the transition. Our first three days were okay at drop off, my so was clingy one day and the other two he seemed to take a breath and jump into the classroom routine. Today Dad took our son to school and there was a huge meltdown: tears, yelling, and he even hit the teacher. I was shocked when I heard this, at the prior daycare we had some teary mornings but nothing like that. Any other moms experience anythign like this? I'm looking for some context as I knew that we would have some rough days with starting something new but the kid my husband described sure didn't sound like my son!

by on Aug. 15, 2013 at 1:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
MixedCooke
by Silver Member on Aug. 16, 2013 at 2:21 AM

my 3 yr old has been going for nearly a year and is still prety hesitant and doesnt want me to leave her there even though the teachers are very caring and nurturing.

pixpotpie
by on Aug. 16, 2013 at 8:18 AM
I am about to go through this on Monday. I'm very nervous.My son is four yrs old and is beginning Pre K; & has never attended preschool. I always worked nts, dh, or in laws would watch him at nights. Now I work days, but dh only works 2 days/wk ( 2- 24 yr shifts) & my in laws watch him on those days. So, I will let you know how this turns out, lol.
My dh, ds & myself went there twice already; once for enrollment & the 2nd time for open house and both times he didn't want to leave, so that is a good sign I guess.
lalasmama2007
by Ticia on Aug. 16, 2013 at 11:24 AM

Bump

12yrmama
by Bronze Member on Aug. 16, 2013 at 5:20 PM
1 mom liked this

(i'm a pre-school teacher) They know YOU are stressed about it, and they work it (don't give in!!!!!!), or at  least react to your stress.

Ask the teacher how long he is upset and how extreme he is after you leave, ask her for things he likes to do- so you can talk about that on your way to school. Be confident and he will be confident too.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)