Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Parks?

Posted by on Aug. 21, 2013 at 1:03 AM
  • 28 Replies

Does your neighborhood have a park in it for your family to walk to without crossing any major streets?

My father who is 52 and has Alzheimer's lives with his younger sister and mother, but while my aunt is at work there is a caregiver with dad and today she asked my aunt if there was a park in the neighborhood she could take my dad to walk around in and the sad thing is no there isn't, the closet one is only avaliable by driving. 

It got me thinking that all the places I have lived there hasn't been a park in walking distance

MyFitnessPal - Nutrition Facts For Foods

by on Aug. 21, 2013 at 1:03 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MixedCooke
by Silver Member on Aug. 21, 2013 at 1:10 AM

yes and no--it isnt a major street but it is a busy street.

TableforSeven
by Judy on Aug. 21, 2013 at 3:14 AM

There are parks all over this town.  And we don't really have ANY "major" streets.  The busiest street isn't even that bad and there are crosswalks everywhere - so it is easy to get around (the law here is that is a person is at a crosswalk the cars MUST stop and let them cross).  I'd say there are 4 parks, plus 1 or 2 exercise parks within a short distance from our house.  We also live near the HUGE park at the top of the mountain where there is a small zoo, a zip-line, a large playground, tons of picnic space, and two outdoor theatre-stages.

exhaustedmother
by Bronze Member on Aug. 21, 2013 at 4:15 AM

We used to live near one that was within walking distance, literally you just followed the sidewalk down the road to the park. Where we live now there is still one within walking distance but farther than I want to walk.

mcginnisc
by Bronze Member on Aug. 21, 2013 at 6:02 AM

Nope...thus the reason my kids have a huge swingset in the backyard. The closest park is a few miles away, but you have to cross major roads to get there and doing that in a burb of Atlanta will get you killed. 

Claire

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13 

.Peaches.
by Bronze Member on Aug. 21, 2013 at 7:10 AM

There's not one in the immediate area....its about 4 miles away in another neighborhood. That particular neighborhood is huge, with a lot of sub-divisions and tons of walking trails.

Briesmom38
by Silver Member on Aug. 21, 2013 at 7:48 AM

Nope, nothing we can walk to.

** It's 5 O'clock Somewhere **

mumsy2three
by Shauna on Aug. 21, 2013 at 8:17 AM

No. I live in a rural area and our local park is about a mile from my house. We could walk/ride bikes there but it's on a "major" road.

Saharra
by Bronze Member on Aug. 21, 2013 at 8:18 AM
No public parks we can walk to..... But we've got 85 acres to play in :) Being caretakers at a campground has its advantages. However, if a big storm rolls through, we can get stuck back here until clean up crews can come out to either clean up trees or snow :)
mjimaging
by Melissa on Aug. 21, 2013 at 8:28 AM
There is an elementary school basically in our back yard so they can go there. DS isn't allowed to go with lit DD, 9 year age difference, but they go every now and then.
JadeTigr7
by Bronze Member on Aug. 21, 2013 at 8:44 AM

I live on a military post and there is a park literally in my backyard.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)